Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 12:36 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,943,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I did, I called the sales rep three times, no answer. Finally called the dealership and got through and it cleared up. It already happened by the time I am posting but it was an annoyance to go back and back to try and get the paperwork (I never got my copy of the lease terms), sign new paperwork (possibly the cause of the previous) and the working remote (which according to the rep, I had to pay for programming even though he "allowed the replacement to be on the house.") This constant returning was the straw that broke the camel's back.
So, did they program your remote for you for free, in the end? I hope you were able to be a squeaky wheel and get them to do the right thing.

A remote is not an optional accessory; they should have just done it as part of the prep work. It might not even be the sales guy's fault; his management might have told him "don't do it if they don't ask in advance".

Worst case, it's another $100. Life will go on.

I had the opposite buying experience this past summer. Granted, it wasn't a tent sale. Just a smooth and pleasant experience. I didn't do any dickering, though, just printed out the deal from a car buying web site.

Best of luck and enjoy your new vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 12:41 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,022,255 times
No you aren't. There is no such 3-day right of rescission law on the books in Oregon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
In Oregon we are allowed three days to return any car. I'm glad we have consumer protections.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:42 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times
I would really like to see a 3 day cool down period ( especially for any auto over $10,000 ).

The car would remain on the dealer's lot and after 3 days the sale is final.
We allow a 3 day period for many other purchases.
Why not for autos?

Old 01-23-2017, 12:57 PM

Uhm...you could just not buy it for 3 days until you decide you really want it. Or whatever time frame you want. That's called self control. No need for laws and mandates to help with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I would really like to see a 3 day cool down period ( especially for any auto over $10,000 ).

Why not for autos?

Old 01-23-2017, 01:01 PM

626 posts, read 626,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
In the long run it would just raise prices for everyone
How would it raise prices?

Old 01-23-2017, 01:23 PM

Would you buy a car sold as new that's already been previously titled and miles put on it? No, you wouldn't. So what is the dealer supposed to do with it? Can't sell it as new even though it might practically be, and no one in their right mind is going to pay near new car prices for a used car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
How would it raise prices?

Old 01-23-2017, 01:46 PM

957 posts, read 2,023,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Would you buy a car sold as new that's already been previously titled and miles put on it? No, you wouldn't. So what is the dealer supposed to do with it? Can't sell it as new even though it might practically be, and no one in their right mind is going to pay near new car prices for a used car.
Exactly this. Even if laws changed and it was allowed to titles as "new", people will want a discount due to miles and usage.

In David Stone's scenario above, where the car doesn't leave the lot, you are still asking a dealer to tie up inventory of expensive items, and possibly turn down other buyers for 3 days while the original buyer thinks it over (or more likely shops for a better deal).

Old 01-23-2017, 02:28 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,051,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

Why not for autos?
Please elaborate, what "many other purchases" are you allowed this freedom? I am also curious what state you live in for the purpose of comparing the actual consumer protection standards.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:16 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
You want bigger government with more regulation because you failed at due diligence when buying a car?

No wonder why we have so many laws and regulations now.

People need the government to protect the people from themselves!

Oh, and you had so few rules, laws and regulations in the Army.......right!

So, why did you go into the Army? Could all the amenities like healthcare and pension, etc. have anything to do with it?

Old 01-23-2017, 08:36 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
Default USED cars bought in California that cost less than $40,000, Option to return within 2 days with $250 payment

There is an option in California to return a used car, even if it is not a lemon:

In California, car dealers are required to inform consumers about Contract Cancellation Option Agreements for used cars costing less than $40,000. These agreements, which cost roughly $250 for a car listed at between $10,000 and $30,000, allow the buyer to return the vehicle within two days if they have a change of heart.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...t_facts/ffvr35

"Used Car Buyers
Consumers who purchase a used car for less than $40,000 must be offered a two-day contract cancellation option agreement.

NOTE: There is no "cooling off" period unless you purchase a contract cancellation option agreement.

EXCEPTION: The contract cancellation option agreement does not apply to used cars priced at $40,000 or more, new cars, private party sales, motorcycles, off-highway vehicles, recreational vehicles, or vehicles sold for business or commercial use (does not include pickup trucks purchased for personal use)."

If you are interested, you should go to the DMV website, because there are a lot more details than those I listed, above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive