Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:36 PM

3,508 posts, read 767,794 times

Advertisements

a person i know has a broken down car that has been sitting on my property for over 8 months .. This car will never run again .. it is the only reason this person has to come back to my home .. i dont have title or keys to this car but it can be towed .. what will happen if i have it towed to another area and just leave it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 01:40 PM

749 posts, read 735,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
a person i know has a broken down car that has been sitting on my property for over 8 months .. This car will never run again .. it is the only reason this person has to come back to my home .. i dont have title or keys to this car but it can be towed .. what will happen if i have it towed to another area and just leave it ?
Call your local police, and tell them there is an abandoned vehicle on your property. Ask them what you should do.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:47 PM

3,508 posts, read 767,794 times
i see this person 3 or 4 times a month and they tell me " i`ll get it moved ".. i will call my local sheriffs office .. i just have not had good co-operation with the law historically ..

Old 05-02-2017, 02:22 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
As suggested, report it as an abandoned vehicle. Then tell the person who owns it that you were getting hassled by code enforcement or whatever your local entity calls themselves.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:35 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
As suggested, report it as an abandoned vehicle. Then tell the person who owns it that you were getting hassled by code enforcement or whatever your local entity calls themselves.

I would send a certified letter to the person advising them that the vehicle must be removed from your property within 30 days or you will have it towed and scrapped. If they don't move it, scrap it.

If you can get it running, apply for an abandoned vehicle title with the state. Get it running and sell it for just enough to cover what you spent on it.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
Call your local police, and tell them there is an abandoned vehicle on your property. Ask them what you should do.
This is not a police issue. Call any tow company and they will remove it as long as you are the property owner or leasee. Some will charge you, others will do it for free for the salvage value. Let the owner know what you are going to do.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Why would you tell a lie like that? Just be upfront. Tell the owner to move it within so many days or it will be towed. It's that simple.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
This is not a police issue. Call any tow company and they will remove it as long as you are the property owner or leasee. Some will charge you, others will do it for free for the salvage value. Let the owner know what you are going to do.
wrong it is a police issue. you cannot just have someones vehicle towed from your private property. there are legal issues even at this point.

i agree with calling the police and tell them it is an abandoned vehicle and let them deal with it.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
wrong it is a police issue. you cannot just have someones vehicle towed from your private property. there are legal issues even at this point.

i agree with calling the police and tell them it is an abandoned vehicle and let them deal with it.
That is pure BS. It is not an abandoned car. It was left there with the owner's (or leasee's) permission. It is a civil issue, not a police matter.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That is pure BS. It is not an abandoned car. It was left there with the owner's (or leasee's) permission. It is a civil issue, not a police matter.
in order for the property owner to have the car towed, they must have either the owners permission, and he doesnt have that, or he must have the local police order the tow. and while the vehicle owner has stated he will remove the vehicle, he hasnt yet, and thus it technically IS an abandoned vehicle. remember it has been there for several months now. how much longer is the OP supposed to wait?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive