Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 08:26 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
First, until it is proven to me that driverless cars are safer than human driven cars, I refuse to accept that they are. From videos I have seen self-driving cars are at best as good as a bad human driver. And I'm not buying that they will get better. Prove it to me first. Second many of those deaths are the result of defective vehicles or are weather related. I haven't heard anyone claim that driverless cars would prevent those type of crashes. A driverless car is at least as likely to spin out on an icy road, as a human driven car. Third, add to that technology failure of driverless cars, and they would be no safer than human driven cars. So to say that driverless would reduce vehicle deaths to zero, is just not logical.
So you're opposition is that computer drivers have not yet been proven to be safer than human drivers? Therefore if that point is ever proven conclusively - and I think it will have to be before being released mainstream - you will then support driverless cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That's just wrong; on numerous occasions I have seen from a distance that slight reflection and kept my focus on that area while slowing to pass it, as recently as a few weeks ago.
The autonomous car won't be at the mercy of a chance reflection. It can use infrared sensors to "see" all the deer alongside the road, and detect if one or two or ten are moving at an intercept trajectory, and take appropriate evasive action.

Another thing you mentioned. Focus. An autonomous car is "focused" on all it's input sensors, all the time. It doesn't stop seeing what is on the left side just because it detected something and is "focused" on the right side.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:27 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,051,665 times
It will be interesting to see what happens over the next several years. There is a lot of speculation about the topic, and while the technology is certainly moving very rapidly, I still say the legal and ethical ramifications of widespread implementation are still unclear. Infrastructure for the vehicle systems and the communications systems are all still in development stages.

For those who think they are imminent, claiming these huge numbers of "autonomous" vehicles in your cities, remember that only a few thousand test vehicles are currently on the highways. Total vehicle quantities of ~300,000,000 in the US means we have a long way to go.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:31 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
So you're opposition is that computer drivers have not yet been proven to be safer than human drivers? Therefore if that point is ever proven conclusively - and I think it will have to be before being released mainstream - you will then support driverless cars?
No, I would never support them. They would have to first be proven 100% safe in all situations. None of the current testing such as driving on limited pre mapped out street courses in Mountain View, California or on test tracks in Ann Arbor, Michigan would ever prove that. So all the current testing is worthless. Second, even if they were proven to be 100% safe in all situation, which they will never be able to do, I still wouldn't support them without addressing the congestion issues that would come with allowing empty cars to drive on the streets. This is just another example of automobile manufacturers ramming crap down people's throats, that most people don't even want. Just like they did a hundred years ago when they forced automobiles on the public, without any regard to the congestion and pollution that would be caused by replacing every electric streetcar with 50 polluting private automobiles. So no, I will never support it.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
No, I would never support them. They would have to first be proven 100% safe in all situations...
Second, even if they were proven to be 100% safe in all situation, which they will never be able to do, I still wouldn't support them without addressing the congestion issues that would come with allowing empty cars to drive on the streets...
So no, I will never support it.
So by your own admission, your mind is closed and no facts could ever change it. Nice. No point in discussing the issue with you any further. Your opinion and input is now irrelevant.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
I support self driving cars as long as they're able to coexist with human driven cars and not get in the way. In fact, I think they would be very useful for the disabled and elderly.

What I do have a problem with are those militant pro-AV people who think human driven cars are going to be banned, and that we're all going to be using "ride sharing" services. These are the same people who are always complaining about there not being enough public transportation, yadda, yadda...

Old 07-10-2017, 12:10 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Quote:
No, I would never support them. They would have to first be proven 100% safe in all situations. <>
Well that pretty much rules out human drivers.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
So by your own admission, your mind is closed and no facts could ever change it. Nice. No point in discussing the issue with you any further. Your opinion and input is now irrelevant.
No my mind is not closed. I'm listening. I think it's you driverless car proponents who have the closed minds. You keep telling us that it is going to happen and all cars on the road WILL be self-driving, whether we want them or not. Despite the fact that half of us keep telling you that we want nothing to do with your self-driving cars. I think deep down you know they are not safer than human drivers, but you want them anyway, and you want to force them on everyone else. Well, it's not going to be that simple, because many of us are going to resist your attempts to force driverless cars on us.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:28 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Quote:
No, I would never support them.<>I still wouldn't support them without addressing the congestion issues that would come with allowing empty cars to drive on the streets.<>
Empty cars won't drive around, they'll park. and there will be many less anyway.
The progression of the integration of the "driverless" car will ultimately result i what you might call the "ownerless" car. We have this extensive road system, but most of the cars* sit unused what, 22 hours a day? A car that can drive itself as a part of a transportation system can be dispatched to the next person that needs a ride instead of parking and sitting idly by in a lot or garage somewhere. They all become Uber/Lyft mobiles.
The real shock comes when we realize we need only about 50 million cars, not 250 million. There will still be the same number on the road at rush hour, but there will be little need for parking in down town. Cars can park REALLY close together if nobody has to get in and out. Traffic will operate much more efficiently with few wrecks. They can run closer together with better reflexes and go faster and pullout with less room between.
Part of my vision here minimizes the use of electric vehicles to some degree as the required range will be greater and available charge time will be reduced.

*263.6 million registered passenger vehicles in the United States in 2015.(wiki)
"Cars are parked 95% of the time". Let's check! ~ Reinventing Parking

Old 07-10-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I support self driving cars as long as they're able to coexist with human driven cars and not get in the way. In fact, I think they would be very useful for the disabled and elderly.

What I do have a problem with are those militant pro-AV people who think human driven cars are going to be banned, and that we're all going to be using "ride sharing" services. These are the same people who are always complaining about there not being enough public transportation, yadda, yadda...
But they are already getting in the way. For example: the Mountain View Police pulling them over for impeding traffic, and it will only get worse as more and more appear on the roads.

In most places there are already transportation alternatives for disabled and senior citizens. So that is not a good reason for them.

I agree about the militant proponents of driverless cars. People are not looking at the bigger picture and the problems this will cause. I think driverless car advocates will be very disappointed when things don't pan out the way they are expecting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive