Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 06:29 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times

Advertisements

Honda makes a great all around vehicle but I would never own one. Best automaker? really? Not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 08:00 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
If you take in account reliability, diversity, fun to drive, technological and cost it would seem to me like Honda would be considered the best automaker. Toyota's seem too boring, Mazda's not enough diversity, BMW are too expensive etc.

Plus it seems like all of their models sell very well. Not always the top in sales within their class but usually top 3 or 4. Anyone agree?
Honda doesn't sell any truly fun cars. Everything they offer is basically just an appliance or a tarted up appliance (i.e., Civic Type R).

One could argue that Honda is the best auto manufacturer for the majority of the population's needs/wants, but they don't have much appeal to enthusiasts.

Even as appliances, Honda comes up short:

Mazda 3 > Civic
Ridgeline - not really a truck
Sienna > Odyssey. No AWD? Come on, Honda. It's 2017.
Mazda 6 > Accord
The Pilot is butt ugly and has horrific chassis dynamics

As an enthusiast, I care so little about Honda I can't even name their full model line up.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:08 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
Quote:
If you take in account reliability, diversity, fun to drive, technological and cost it would seem to me like Honda would be considered the best automaker. Toyota's seem too boring, Mazda's not enough diversity, BMW are too expensive etc.

Plus it seems like all of their models sell very well. Not always the top in sales within their class but usually top 3 or 4. Anyone agree?
Fun to drive? Are you old enough to even drive?

Old 07-14-2017, 08:20 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
I can't stand to drive Hondas or even sit in one (worst seats EVER), but there's no doubt that they are the most reliable, cheapest to own brand. Those cars go forever with minimal upkeep.

While my cars (Lexus, MB, etc.) start having problems after about year 5, my friends and fam go decade after decade with their Hondas with minimal repair costs.

My friends and family are always telling me to buy one and I never do. Life is too short to put up with bad seats, bad soundproofing and bad audio.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:25 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I drive a high powered European Sport Sedan that would blow away ALL Hondas. Do I feel I would drive a Honda? No. If you have money you aren't going to bother with a Honda. It is a great car if you are on the cheap.

Keep in mind my car can out accelerate and out break better than any Honda, therefore my car is WAY safer than a Honda could ever be. Don't underestimate performance over economy and never underestimate performance over brawn, like in an SUV that can't handle, brake or really do anything well other than a head on that most likely could be avoided if you are driving a very high end car at a reasonable speed.
Well, this is quite a pretentious attitude/response...

And your statement is not correct. I have money and I earn a lot of it, and rest assured I'm not dumping it into some pseudo-self-important, expensive European car that begs people to believe that the driver is more important than he/she truly is..

I have a Honda and have always owned Hondas...It as a brand has never failed me as a car. I'm not saying it's the best car out there but it definitely is reliable and a strong car, overall..

Old 07-14-2017, 08:45 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I drive a high powered European Sport Sedan that would blow away ALL Hondas. Do I feel I would drive a Honda? No. If you have money you aren't going to bother with a Honda. It is a great car if you are on the cheap.

Keep in mind my car can out accelerate and out break better than any Honda, therefore my car is WAY safer than a Honda could ever be. Don't underestimate performance over economy and never underestimate performance over brawn, like in an SUV that can't handle, brake or really do anything well other than a head on that most likely could be avoided if you are driving a very high end car at a reasonable speed.
Nice but I dont think your European sedan can touch a NSX. Nice try.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:46 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:

I agree. Own an Acura TL and it is a blast to drive. Reliability of Honda/Acura vehicles I have owned have been outstanding, 300K miles with minimal repairs is the norm. Only ding I would give them is on styling. Hyundai and Lexus have significantly better styling. Also I would ding them a little on technology. They are late adopters in many cases.

Another downside is that Acura does not distinguish itself much from Honda. Same development engineers work on both. Lexus does a better job of distinguishing from Toyota.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:49 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
When i say best, I mean best across the product lineup. The F150 may sell the best, The Mazda 6 may look better than the Accord, The Camry may be quieter, but I bet Honda will have have the highest ratings, reviews , resale with the entire model range.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:52 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
When i say best, I mean best across the product line. The F150 may sell the best, The Mazda 6 may look better than the Accord, The Camry may be quieter, but I bet Honda will have have the highest ratings, reviews , resale with the entire product range (entire model lineup).
I think that only matters if you're buying the whole product line. Otherwise within the specific vehicle type there's probably some give and take as each of the different makes have their advantages and disadvantages.

I like SUVs so Honda isn't even an option for me.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:52 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,187 times
Is Honda the best automaker?
You decide-
Honda recalls more than a million cars over battery fires

Honda recalls more than a million cars over battery fires - Jul. 14, 2017
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive