Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 12:53 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,094,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I get that... but I was referring to the OP saying that you could stop during the panic and recharge. If everything is in chaos you can't. But if you at least had gas on hand you could easily keep the engine running for quite some time instead of trying to fight the lines to recharge or get gas.

My point is that with EV, you can't store energy for later use as you can with fossil fuels.

But that point is a non-starter in this situation, as was evidenced by the facts. You guys are moving the goalposts when the initial question was answered, moving on to all sorts of "what if" situations. We can do that with gas powered cars, too. In chaos, you can't. How many people in those lines had gas cans on hand? Damn few. How many people drove around looking for gas? A LOT.

When things are in chaos, and gas stations are out of gas, or flooded and the tanks are filled with fuel, or the power's out and the station can't pump gas, you're screwed just as much. Don't use chaos to say your "what if" scenario will happen and discount it for other "what if" scenarios. the news didn't show any EVs being abandoned because they couldn't get charged, but they did show drivers of gas powered cars pushing their cars around looking for gas and then leaving them when it wasn't available.

OTOH, AAA can help you whether you need a jerry can of gas or a quick charge:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 01:09 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
But that point is a non-starter in this situation, as was evidenced by the facts. You guys are moving the goalposts when the initial question was answered, moving on to all sorts of "what if" situations. We can do that with gas powered cars, too. In chaos, you can't. How many people in those lines had gas cans on hand? Damn few. How many people drove around looking for gas? A LOT.

When things are in chaos, and gas stations are out of gas, or flooded and the tanks are filled with fuel, or the power's out and the station can't pump gas, you're screwed just as much. Don't use chaos to say your "what if" scenario will happen and discount it for other "what if" scenarios. the news didn't show any EVs being abandoned because they couldn't get charged, but they did show drivers of gas powered cars pushing their cars around looking for gas and then leaving them when it wasn't available.

OTOH, AAA can help you whether you need a jerry can of gas or a quick charge:

Probably because people didn't bother even trying to escape in EV cars (if that was their loan mode of transport, even you stated that people usually only buy EV cars as secondary vehicles) when an ICE was readily available knowing full well opportunities to recharge were probably even less then with ICE even with millions of others fighting for the same gas pumps.

And good luck waiting for AAA in an emergency like what we just witnessed. You're on your own.

Bottom line, it's easier to prepare for emergency if you have ICE vehicle. You can easily store gasoline, not so much extra batteries.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Bottom line, it's easier to prepare for emergency if you have ICE vehicle. You can easily store gasoline, not so much extra batteries.

it's no easier to prepare if you have an ICE vehicle. The tesla owners that evacuated were prepared and used the supercharger network that had few cars using them. They prepared as much (or less) as I would have in my Suburban pulling my travel trailer (where I'd have to refill the 32 gallon tank every couple hundred miles) and a jerry can would not have gotten me very far.

In chaos, it's too late regardless of what car you have. But you can prepare just as easily with an EV as with a gas car. MOST prepared people would have flown or driven out early when there wasn't chaos.

Of course, you can store electricity, too.

People who were really prepped would have off-grid power, ready to power their house and car after the fact.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:06 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:

People who were really prepped would have off-grid power, ready to power their house and car after the fact.
Or get a $10 gas can from Walmart and fill it up. Just sayin'

Ok, go ahead and splurge and get 2 of them.

And I didn't know it's either Tesla or Suburban pulling a trailer. There is no middle ground?

But you can sleep well knowing your ICE Suburban can pull that trailer

Old 09-11-2017, 02:07 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
it's no easier to prepare if you have an ICE vehicle. The tesla owners that evacuated were prepared and used the supercharger network that had few cars using them. They prepared as much (or less) as I would have in my Suburban pulling my travel trailer (where I'd have to refill the 32 gallon tank every couple hundred miles) and a jerry can would not have gotten me very far.

In chaos, it's too late regardless of what car you have. But you can prepare just as easily with an EV as with a gas car. MOST prepared people would have flown or driven out early when there wasn't chaos.

Why would you be taking your travel trailer? Talk about moving the goal post. Try pulling a travel trailer with a Model X and see how far you get.
Having your own solar batteries is terrible idea for disaster prep. First off, if the panels are damaged, you won't have power until you settle with the insurance company and can find a solar installed to fix them. Meanwhile those on the grid are usually out of power in 2 weeks at the most. Most home battery systems are good for less than 24 hours of storage. If you charged your car with it, you'd have to chose between going to work or having electricity at the house.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:27 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:

If they left early they were prepared, sure. But with an EV, part of the preparation is leaving while electricity is still available. With gas, you can prepare to leave but not leave as early because your energy storage is on board.

Is it smart? Probably not. But is it easier? Absolutely.

When most people evacuate, they aren't planning on going 1,000 miles but instead just far enough to get out of harms way until they can return home.

Let's say you need to leave Tampa and head for Mobile, AL. That's roughly a 500 mile trip. If your Suburban gets 8mpg pulling the travel trailer, that's 256 miles per tank. If you had 6 jerry cans of fuel with you (which could easily be carried) you could make it all the way to Mobile in a worst case scenario. The panhandle wasn't yet affected, so in reality you only need to make it about 400 miles before you could stop and refuel.

If someone with an EV did not leave early enough, how do they get more fuel for the vehicle? This was my question. You don't. You cannot store electricity outside of what the main battery holds in an EV.

Those who have lived through hurricanes both riding them our or fleeing understand the chaos that ensues. TV doesn't do it justice. It's a mad dash to get everything boarded up and tied down and to get enough supplies packed to leave. Sometimes you run out of time and are stuck trying to leave at the worst possible time. At that point, shelter in place is probably a better option. But... people still try to leave. Those are the people I was discussing. Who do you think will fare better? Someone who had a few cans of gas or someone who has to hope power hasn't gone out to their recharging stations?

Old 09-11-2017, 02:42 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
We bought our place on high ground and didn't need to evacuate. Simple solution.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:42 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post

When most people evacuate, they aren't planning on going 1,000 miles but instead just far enough to get out of harms way until they can return home.
If you are in Miami, it's 375 miles just to get to Jacksonville which is currently being pounded by the storm. They had to go to places like NC where we are talking about 600+ mile trip.

Gas cars can do it. EVs apparently can't. And for the 2 or 3 that actually did, how will they get back?

Old 09-11-2017, 02:44 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
People who were really prepped would have off-grid power, ready to power their house and car after the fact.[/quote]

That picture is not Florida.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Why would you be taking your travel trailer? Talk about moving the goal post.

I was responding to someone else talking about bugging out with their trailer. The goalposts have already been moved by you guys. So there.

Quote:
Try pulling a travel trailer with a Model X and see how far you get.

I wouldn't any more than I'd pull one with a Miata. That's why I have a 2500 series Suburban with a big block. Crap for fuel mileage but tows very nicely up to 12k lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive