Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 01:54 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It does not matter. People had to turn around and go home because they could not get gas. None of what you wrote changes that.

All these replies because people are butt hurt over the choices others have made. No one is forcing anyone to buy any certain vehicle. This entire thread is about people upset because some people do not make the same choices they do and they are so insecure about that they feel this pressing need to condemn them for that.

It makes no sense. If someone made a bad choice, it's really not your problem.
We can all learn from others...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 02:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Ultrarunner sez:"If my Electric car runs out of power on the Freeway... it will require a tow truck to pick it up for transport to the nearest Charging Station where it will need to stay for some time.

I my gasoline car runs out of gas on the Freeway... I can walk to the nearest gas station and CARRY back enough fuel easily to take me 75 miles..."
Isn't that assuming that the gas car runs out of gas w/in a mile or 2 of a gas station......that hasn't run out of gas in an emergency? And as I recall, even 2-3 days ago in S. FL, there were 2 hour waits in line at gas stations. Bumper-to bumper traffic on I95 N. But we're supposed to believe that everyone here with a gasoline car has the foresight to have their vehicles fueled up at the first sign of trouble, to have 1-5 cans of extra fuel with them, & that all gas stations will be open & have gas......???
You are correct... some will fail even with all the advance notice or simply bad luck... nothing is 100%.

I may have more friends that live off grid... and these are not all rustic cabins in the middle of no where... some are high tech homes located in Redwood Forests in the Santa Cruz Mountains...

It is an interesting lifestyle that requires thought and understanding.... the beauty is living a modern life off-grid is not only possible but a reality and yes... a few have Nissan Leaf grocery getters that they charge from their own solar arrays...

My point is even with a typical small pickup or car... in an emergency, fuel would not be a problem as I could easily have enough fuel on board to make a 1000+ mile trip...

The challenge is avoid repeating mistakes.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:08 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
You did not prove the statement. You do realize that, right?
Ok 2/3rd vs 3/3rds. Whatever. You have a 2 in 3 chance of having no power for your Leaf....for weeks.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:22 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Ok 2/3rd vs 3/3rds. Whatever. You have a 2 in 3 chance of having no power for your Leaf....for weeks.
They aren't going to be hand pumping gas out of the in ground tanks either.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
They aren't going to be hand pumping gas out of the in ground tanks either.
You can ship in gas and gas stations (some are mandatory) can have backup generators.

Not so much with electrics.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
You can ship in gas and gas stations (some are mandatory) can have backup generators.

Not so much with electrics.
People can as easily have a generator at home. People aren't going to be lining up to hand pump gas out of a truck.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
People can as easily have a generator at home. People aren't going to be lining up to hand pump gas out of a truck.
No. Gas stations have generators and are prioritized for power fixes. Most people at home do not, unless you want a $10K whole house generator added to your EV charger added to the cost of an EV itself. A home depot portable generator isn't going to fuel your car. You'd be better off distilling your own biodiesel.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:58 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,907,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Good point. even if the power is out, you can pump gasoline, and diesel manually. It is still the most efficient way to power vehicles, and there is no meaningful reason to go to electric cars at all.
That's not true, with electric pumps. I know... from Hurricane Sandy. The stations had gas, but no generator to power the pumps.

Also,
Quote:
As millions of Floridians were ordered to evacuate, Tesla offered free software upgrades increasing battery capacity on the Model X, Model S and SUV to 75 kWh from 60 kWh. That extended the driving range by 30 miles (48 kilometers) to 230 miles (370 kilometers).

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-09-irma-g...emote.html#jCp

Old 09-12-2017, 03:06 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
If there were gas lines during evacuations just think of how long the charging lines would be if all ICE vehicles were replaced with EV and all gas stations replaced with charging stations. It would be 100x the chaos.

Fact is you can never just "charge up in minutes". At least if you're waiting in line at a gas station the line will move. Good luck with that waiting for a freed up charging station.
Another moving of the goal posts. The infrastructure that currently exists was enough for the EV cars that curently exist. If more EV come aboard than infrastructure will increase to support that.

But pretending there for some reason it would be impossible to make such an infrastructure is silly at best.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:09 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Some things are possible simply because they're a rarity not because of superior technology. If this is an attempt to play up EV technology, then it can easily be argued that the lines for a recharge 260 miles away from your home would be infinite.

Now that all of Florida seems to be without power, if any of the supercharger stations are down on the way home, you won't make it home.
Who said it was superior? The question was are they useful to evacuate irma. The several dozen people who self reported that they evacuated irma in their teslas showed that yes, they could be useful as an evacuation vehicle.

And once more, gas pumps run on electricity. So if the power is out, they are useless too.

You can't have it both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive