Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 03:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Do you really not understand the difference between 2/3 or "all"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I agree with you 100%... most people for what ever reason are lacking when it comes to planning.

It is not like this just happened... there were days leading up Florida Landfall.

You make a good point... I am not like most people... I have tractors, backhoes, keep drums of Bio Diesel, generators, food stores, have 1500 gallon water storage... etc.

A lot of my neighbors are Mormons... they ALL have food stores and supplies in house.

The last thing I would want to be is out scrounging when planning could have eliminated/mitigated the risk.

I'm responsible for emergency preparedness for a Hospital... this means power, water, security and being able to keep the doors open...

Some of my sister facilities flooded... can't take into every account under the sun but keeping a full gas tank and a couple of 5 gallon containers to rotate doesn't happen without some commitment.
I am glad you are well prepared, more people would benefit from being more prepared but compare apples to apples. If you compare the typical EV owner to the typical gas powered car owner, there was no disadvantage to evacuating in a EV.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
You can ship in gas and gas stations (some are mandatory) can have backup generators.

Not so much with electrics.
Lol.

In order to run a gas pump you have to have a specific type of generator that runs what's called a "clean sine wave" meaning they have to have a even, uniform output. That is he exact type of generator which can also power an EV. So if you are relying on a special generator to power your gas car, than you can also rely on a special generator to power your EV.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:18 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Another moving of the goal posts. The infrastructure that currently exists was enough for the EV cars that curently exist. If more EV come aboard than infrastructure will increase to support that.

But pretending there for some reason it would be impossible to make such an infrastructure is silly at best.
I guess you don't get the 5 minutes to fill up vs 30 to 45 and beyond to fully charge. That is a world of difference if there is a line of cars in front of you waiting to do the same thing.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
No. Gas stations have generators and are prioritized for power fixes. Most people at home do not, unless you want a $10K whole house generator added to your EV charger added to the cost of an EV itself. A home depot portable generator isn't going to fuel your car. You'd be better off distilling your own biodiesel.
That isn't true at all. I live in a post-Sandy area. Most of us now have home level clean sine generators. Mine was well less than $1k. I don't have an EV but I could charge one if I did. People who are likely to be interested in owning and paying more to purchase an EV are more likely to be willing to by a csw generator, especially when they are only slightly more money than a regular one.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I guess you don't get the 5 minutes to fill up vs 30 to 45 and beyond to fully charge. That is a world of difference if there is a line of cars in front of you waiting to do the same thing.
Which part of the fact that it took people HOURS to fill up don't you get? It didn't take them 5 mins.

Between 32-58% of stations had NO GAS.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ida/645747001/

Lines waiting to get gas were 50 cars or more deep. Pretending it really is "5 mins" to get cars in and out, that is is still a more than 4 hr wait to fill up.

The Latest: Lawyers facing Irma ask for execution delay | Fox News

As shown by the links posted earlier there were empty slots at dozens of superchargers brought out Florida during the Irma evacuation. So with a Tesla and 3 hrs sitting at various superchargers you could have a range of well over 600mi compared to a single tank of gas.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:31 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Which part of the fact that it took people HOURS to fill up don't you get? It didn't take them 5 mins.

Between 32-58% of stations had NO GAS.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ida/645747001/

Lines waiting to get gas were 50 cars or more deep. Pretending it really is "5 mins" to get cars in and out, that is is still a more than 4 hr wait to fill up.

The Latest: Lawyers facing Irma ask for execution delay | Fox News

As shown by the links posted earlier there were empty slots at dozens of superchargers brought out Florida during the Irma evacuation. So with a Tesla and 3 hrs sitting at various superchargers you could have a range of well over 600mi compared to a single tank of gas.
You're still not getting. Once you get to a pump it takes 5 minutes to fill up vs 30 to 45 to more.

Take the scenario where EV cars and charging stations are readily abundant (or the same ratio of ICE to gas pumps). You still think the situation would be more controlled and less chaotic if there were a line of EV cars waiting at the charging stations vs a line of ICE vehicles waiting at gas pumps?

Even if you are the fifth person in line at the charging station you are looking at waiting for hours vs 25-30 minutes at a gas pump. Expand that to a line around the block and you're comparing days to hours.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
You're still not getting. Once you get to a pump it takes 5 minutes to fill up vs 30 to 45 to more.

Take the scenario where EV cars and charging stations are readily abundant (or the same ratio of ICE to gas pumps). You still think the situation would be more controlled and less chaotic if there were a line of EV cars waiting at the charging stations vs a line of ICE vehicles waiting at gas pumps?

Even if you are the fifth person in line at the charging station you are looking at waiting for hours vs 25-30 minutes at a gas pump. Expand that to a line around the block and you're comparing days to hours.
But if you have to your make up scenarios that don't exist to prove your point, your point is insupportable. You might as well ask what if it was eternal night? What if the zombie apocalypse? What if whatever.

For your scenario to be meaningful, superchargers would need to have one station, many of the ones in Florida and along high ways have 20 stalls.

You would also need to have the exact same infrastructure but hundreds of times more electric vehicles.

You literally had to change reality in order to make your point. Why? Because otherwise you can't make your point. Really says far more about how weak your point is than anything else.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:48 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
They keep improving electric cars. So there will be hybrids and electric so get used to it. The only vehicle that probably won't be electric is a pick up truck because they tow and carry heavy loads.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:02 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Perfect scenarios is not what we had. If all it took was get in line, take 5 minutes to fill up, people wouldn't have gave up and went home would they?

Quote:

That wasn't the question. In the future when they are many more electric cars, charging technology will have improved also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive