Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2018, 08:46 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It is a scam. They are going to test Google self-driving cars on a simulated test track in Michigan, on a pre mapped course. Not in real world winter driving conditions, because that would be dumb. If they put a fleet of Google self-driving cars on the streets of Detroit in the middle of a winter storm, they wouldn't have any cars left at the end of the first day, because they would all be wrecked. The only place Google cars have been extensively tested is on the streets of sunny California, where the road surface is always visible.

Mcity Test Facility - Mcity

That's funny. Let's test these driverless tin cans in a controlled winter environment

Winters are about the most uncontrolled environments possible. There are so many variables, and some that happen once and never again.

These cars are coming , just not in the time frame they are trying to push except for maybe in fleets, or certain areas.

Once they do get it all worked out, I might jump on board. I'm an avid snowmobiler and it takes anywhere from 4-8 hours to get to the good snow. I can just see my friends and I whooping it up while the AI truck drives us while towing a #7k trailer full of sleds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 10:50 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
The 55MPH speed limit is due to the poor reflexes of humans. The One Car Length per 10 MPH spacing is due to the poor reflexes of humans. The yield (big room) to oncoming traffic is due to the poor reflexes of humans. I think the spacing and speed of automated driving will scare the heck out of you.
The 55mph speed limit is because the safe driving speed for that stretch of road is 65mph or so and officials know that people tend to drive faster than the speed limit. If driverless cars are going to strictly obey speed limit laws they are indeed going to cause a lot of anger and backlash. Even slower drivers tend to go a few miles above the limit on many highways. And unless these cars are travelling in their own lanes, which will only be possible in select areas, they are going to have to adjust to the quirks of human drivers.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
The 55mph speed limit is because the safe driving speed for that stretch of road is 65mph<>
1. I have brought up that as long as Level 0 vehicles can operate on demand, that level 4, level 5 will operate on their own highways and lanes. Eventually it will cross over and we will have HOV lanes with restricted speeds. HOV being "Human Operated Vehicles"
2. Define "Safe." AI operated reflex time is milliseconds instead of tenths of a second. There will be direct vehicle to vehicle communication. Safe speeds in the HOV lanes will be much slower that AI lanes, perhaps half.
There is no intrinsic safe speed for a straight piece of roadway. Speed in curves depends on vehicle handling characteristics. Many cars on the road today can exceed 1.0 G lateral and braking.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:32 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
There is no intrinsic safe speed for a straight piece of roadway.
Sure there is. Think school zones. Yes, stupid slow.

I think this reveals more about how everything will work. The computers will process a lot more than we think. The question really is will it be too safe in certain situations and drive the rest of us nuts.
https://youtu.be/tiwVMrTLUWg?t=468

Another thought: how are these things going to decide where to park in a shopping mall? Wait for a close spot or just find the next spot despite my hurting my leg the night before?

Last edited by ovi8; 01-17-2018 at 12:44 PM..

Old 01-17-2018, 12:39 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post

I think this reveals more about how everything will work. The computers will process a lot more than we think. The question really is will it be too safe in certain situations and drive the rest of us nuts.
https://youtu.be/tiwVMrTLUWg?t=468
Or areas with a high wildlife population. And no, a self driving car will not be able to tell if a deer is about to jump out in front of it. I’m smart enough to know to slow down during rut season.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
That has nothing to do with the roadway. That has to do with safe vehicle operating conditions and is a Small Matter Of Programming. Lots of places where that is a real condition.
A lot of times speeds can be dictated by conditions related to "Consequences of failure to be in control." But the post I responded to hinted that there are intrinsic limits to a straight unobstructed roadway. Not true.
As an example, Interstate Highway curves are designed with a bank and turn radius for no side load at 70MPH with 0G side acceleration. This is comfortable. Modern performance cars can operate at 1.0G side load, considerably faster. We do not drive that fast because we are human and it would be hazardous and uncomfortable. Driverless truck trains could, however, handle that safely.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Or areas with a high wildlife population. And no, a self driving car will not be able to tell if a deer is about to jump out in front of it. I’m smart enough to know to slow down during rut season.
That is valid. The ability of a deer or a human pedestrian to move in front of a vehicle is a part of the puzzle. It is even more of a problem that interacting with Level 0 vehicles including bicycles and motorcycles. Another concern is being hijacked by a bunch of demonstrators blocking the road, or a herd of cows.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
<>Another thought: how are these things going to decide where to park in a shopping mall? Wait for a close spot or just find the next spot despite my hurting my leg the night before?
They will drop you off at the door and come pick up you and your stuff on demand. Think how many more cars will fit in the lot since no one needs to open a door once the car is parked.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:32 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

It's probably, with radar and lidar and AI, able to "see" the deer long before you would have and avoid it before it gets there. If you and I can think of it, the programmers have, too.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:12 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
They will drop you off at the door and come pick up you and your stuff on demand. Think how many more cars will fit in the lot since no one needs to open a door once the car is parked.
They better dramatically improve the self parking software then. The stuff that’s out now is terrible and has been for over a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive