Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 12:07 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I interpret it as a platform that was designed solely to be a vert. Where the other three are primarily coupes with a chopped top and then some structural adjustments to compensate.
As a note, the last couple of generations of Corvettes are designed as convertibles, and the roof is added, more than the other way around...

From Business Insider:
"That's because, according to GM design director Tom Peters, the Corvette Stingray Convertible was conceived, designed, and engineered initially as an open-top car. That allowed plenty of roof flexibility (with the targa top, for instance) without interfering with the structural qualities of the car.

It also allowed engineers to go with the exact same suspension tuning and wheel and tire choice, whether for Coupes or Convertibles.

As Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter later pointed out to us, the roof (and even the roll hoop) aren't structurally necessary, as the new aluminum chassis and passenger-cell structure allows."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 01:27 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The electrical gremlins are from a low battery which is common on Vettes because they’re usually garage queens. On mine the gremlins started after sitting a week. Drive it everyday or keep it charged and gremlins went away. That was the consensus on the forums as well.
They even started selling a built in trickle charger from the factory for this reason.

The Vette’s depreciation is minuscule compared to the Mustang. It was one of the few cars I built serious equity on.
Yep, my 2007 Z06 only had 2 issues ever and those were cleared up with a new battery and some fuel additive.

OP, if you can get the Z06....do it. I had mine for about 8 years and it was a lot of fun.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:21 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
"Proper v8?" The Miata is a true Sports car in the tradition of pure sports cars, from the MG-TC of the '50s through the Alfas, MGs, Fiats, Lotus, Austin Healeys, Jensens, etc of the' 60s and '70s. Light, nimble, and adequate power for road racing were what sports cars were about, Not a single one of them was about maximum power for drag racing. Yes, there were some larger engine sports cars, like Corvettes and Jaguars and Ferraris, but they were the outliers, not the meat of the movement.

https://assets.hemmings.com/blog/wp-...ng_03_1200.jpg

4 cyl and small 6 cyl engines were the norm, because Europe was all about small engine cars. And road racing was the venue, because drag racing simply didn't appeal. Miatas are the latest in a long line of pure sports cars that appeal to men the world over, and racing them is as much a part of that as anything.

https://1ijylmozio83m2nkr2v293mp-wpe...a-1024x683.jpg

If you think that's akin to racing lawnmowers, you're woefully ignorant.

Me, I love pure sports cars as much as I love muscle cars. A Miata or Fiat 124 appeals as much as a Corvette or Mustang. I've had many MGBs, Triumphs, and Fiat sports cars, as well as many Mustangs and a Corvette (and older Porsches, when they were small engine cars as well. For example my '69 911S was a 2 liter car). I suggested in this thread that you should look at the Gran Sport Corvettes as a viable offering. But I just had to address the comments...

I'm glad you enjoy this end of the automotive spectrum and hope you continue to do so for many years. However, the cars you listed just don't appeal to me - at least not enough to ever own. I sort of wish they did, most are much cheaper than what I'm looking at. To each their own!

Old 02-08-2018, 02:45 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
I like odd cars. But these days I'd rather spend my time doing other things, so I'm with the OP in wanting simple, easy, power.

I used to have a 350whp Mazdaspeed 3. 2.3 direct injection turbo before I spun the bearings. It was just a tad faster than a 392 SRT8, but I was underneath that car almost every weekend. Plus it was a rare car so parts could be expensive and aftermarket wasn't the greatest.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:23 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, my 2007 Z06 only had 2 issues ever and those were cleared up with a new battery and some fuel additive.

OP, if you can get the Z06....do it. I had mine for about 8 years and it was a lot of fun.
Let me guess, the fuel issue was cleared up with some Techron?

Old 02-09-2018, 05:50 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Let me guess, the fuel issue was cleared up with some Techron?
The fuel issue in most Z06's is not the quality, but the positioning of the fuel pump. It is hard to service, and a better grade of fuel, or some fuel additives will actually increase the pump's life expectancy and forestall replacement or servicing.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:30 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Well, I ended up making a purchase quicker than anticipated. I came across a one-owner, like-new, dark gray 2016, six-speed manual Mustang GT with under 24K miles for $4,500 to $5,000 under book value. It was a trade-in at a BMW dealership and they simply wanted it off their lot as soon as possible and they were willing to accept an aggressive offer. I was surprised they accepted my offer and I couldn't pass it up.

I plan to keep the car through the summer and make the call after ~6 months of ownership as to whether or not I'll keep it longer. I really liked the Corvettes I test drove but really prefer the C7's which are more than I wanted to spend on a "toy" car, so it makes sense for me to wait for C7 prices to drop a little and enjoy the Mustang in the meantime. With the price I paid, I could break even or even make a little money on it if I keep it a year or so.

Thanks everyone for you input! This was a fun thread!

Old 02-19-2018, 06:38 AM

957 posts, read 2,022,432 times
Congratulations, and a big thank you for coming back to update us -- which for some reason is rare around here.

Have fun with it!

Old 02-19-2018, 07:33 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
I'll echo Z's comment, thanks for the update, a rarity these days.

Nice choice, we are seldom stuck with cars forever, so enjoy the mustang GT and enjoy the next step whenever it comes. There are seldom bad choices in automobiles. Even the worst of automobiles that I've purchase through the years has had redeeming qualities and taught me lessons I've carried forward on my next choice.

Good luck, happy driving!

Old 02-19-2018, 12:58 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Well, I ended up making a purchase quicker than anticipated. I came across a one-owner, like-new, dark gray 2016, six-speed manual Mustang GT with under 24K miles for $4,500 to $5,000 under book value. It was a trade-in at a BMW dealership and they simply wanted it off their lot as soon as possible and they were willing to accept an aggressive offer. I was surprised they accepted my offer and I couldn't pass it up.

I plan to keep the car through the summer and make the call after ~6 months of ownership as to whether or not I'll keep it longer. I really liked the Corvettes I test drove but really prefer the C7's which are more than I wanted to spend on a "toy" car, so it makes sense for me to wait for C7 prices to drop a little and enjoy the Mustang in the meantime. With the price I paid, I could break even or even make a little money on it if I keep it a year or so.

Thanks everyone for you input! This was a fun thread!
I hear you on the C7.
I remember waiting for the C6 to drop in price, but by the time it got to the price I wanted, the C7 came out and I no longer wanted a C6. Now I'm hoping the C7 drops in price and the C8 sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive