Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 08:35 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The litigation against WR Grace was successful but bankrupted the successful attorney. Basically, a Pyrrhic victory.

It will be impossible for us to predict what will happen when AI takes to the road. Don't forget that speed and freedom on our roads is what is selling cars today. Americans will not be quick to give up what they consider their 'rights'. As the manufacturers gear up for AI there will be winners and losers. It is hard to say how Madison Ave will deal with the changes.

This is apples and oranges and too many variables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 08:30 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It will be impossible for us to predict what will happen when AI takes to the road. Don't forget that speed and freedom on our roads is what is selling cars today. Americans will not be quick to give up what they consider their 'rights'. As the manufacturers gear up for AI there will be winners and losers. It is hard to say how Madison Ave will deal with the changes.
Very good point!

Old 05-27-2018, 09:11 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,093,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It will be impossible for us to predict what will happen when AI takes to the road. Don't forget that speed and freedom on our roads is what is selling cars today. Americans will not be quick to give up what they consider their 'rights'.

Speed and freedom on which of our roads? Around us, I see traffic jams, accidents, occasional death or injury, stressed out drivers late to work because of crawling traffic. Americans are buying the cars not for "speed and Freedom" but because they have to get to work, drop of their kids to day care, buy things and the efficient public transportation does not exist. Or has been dismantled under the heavy lobbying of oil/car companies...

A lot of people do not like to drive every day and would've gladly taken public transportation if it existed...

Last edited by DefiantNJ; 05-27-2018 at 10:01 PM..

Old 05-27-2018, 09:18 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Speed and freedom on which of our roads? Around us, I see traffic jams, accidents, occasional death or injury, stressed out drivers late to work because of slow traffic. Americans are buying the cars not for "speed and Freedom" but because they have to get to work, drop of their kids to day care, buy things and the efficient public transportation does not exist. A lot of people do not like to drive every day and would've gladly taken public transportation...
Conversely many like driving, but just deal with the daily grind.

I do not want an autonomous car personally

Old 05-27-2018, 10:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
The problem is people keep assuming these AI cars are super intelligent. Let's clear one thing for non-tech folks, advanced AI is not in cars or any machine yet. You will need $500k machine to match the computation power of Watson and there's not enough power to run high end computers onboard.

These self-driving cars have nothing more than simple set top computers with custom ASIC designed to process imagery, handle car navigation, and process sensor collected data and follow software. They are not deep learning devices yet. They are no more sophisticated than a couple of Xbox and PS4 boards strapped inside cars. Don't make these car tech seem like they are as sophisticated as HAL9000.

let's take a look at this Nvidia autonomous computer board meant to strap into cars. These are SOCs on this board that are as powerful as Nintendo Switch, there's no deep learning here. These are no more sophisticated than Xbox One X.

In fact the Nvidia Tegra on their autonomous tech board are Denver based Tegra which are used in tablets that are already outperformed by Apple's A11x SOC.

Why are they not capable of full autonomous driving yet? These underpowered autonomous tech are too weak to process real-time real world traffic. They are just low power computers with driving software like in video games.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:55 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,952,269 times
I have a 2009 Cube with 56k miles on it. I suppose it will last 200k, and hopefully will be my very last car I have to drive myself. I dislike driving, the emotional element of having to deal with other drivers ruins the exp for me. Let the robots do it sooner the better.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:48 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Speed and freedom on which of our roads? Around us, I see traffic jams, accidents, occasional death or injury, stressed out drivers late to work because of crawling traffic. Americans are buying the cars not for "speed and Freedom" but because they have to get to work, drop of their kids to day care, buy things and the efficient public transportation does not exist. Or has been dismantled under the heavy lobbying of oil/car companies...

A lot of people do not like to drive every day and would've gladly taken public transportation if it existed...
  • Most of the country is not the NYC metro

• Pubic transportation will never be the preferred option for most people. It doesn't and never did take lobbying of any sort, heavy or light, to sell cars and the vastly superior life quality they enable. What does and always will take lobbying - brainwashing is more like it - is getting people to live like cattle in a feedlot.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:05 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:

I understand that New Jersey has a very dense population and that much of your traffic crawls. But you will never see that in any car commercial. All you do see is open roads; no traffic in sight. Selling cars is not about reality; it is about our fantasies.

AI will work for some and not work for others.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:31 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times
A Tesla sedan in auto mode plowed into a police cruiser parked in Orange county CA today. The police car was totaled

Old 05-30-2018, 12:39 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
A Tesla sedan in auto mode plowed into a police cruiser parked in Orange county CA today. The police car was totaled
Driver is 65, I put the blame on him rather than the auto-pilot. He most likely had slow reaction and too much trust in his prized Tesla that will save his poor driving skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive