Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 04:32 AM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
What was a bicycle rideer dioing on the media and then suddenly dashing into oncoming traffic?? In the dark and assuming in a 45 mile an hour zone, as per the video, that any vehicle and of any kind can see you and is going to stop for you??? The obligation is on you crossing what is a fast highway on a dark night to be aware. Sadness because there was a death as a result, but it's not ALL on the idiot riding the Ubrer car and the tech.
The death primarily serves to put this issue under a bright spotlight. The big question is why the car didn't function as expected.

Let's try an analogy. While I'm driving to work a woman steps right in front of me and I kill her. I had the right of way. The police come to the scene. There are witnesses that confirm my story. Great, I'm off the hook. Then the officer asks one more question. "Why is your car half a block from the accident?" Silence. He asks the question again. I have to explain that my brakes don't work very well.

The woman would be dead even if my brakes had worked fine. She was an idiot and stepped right in front of me. Nevertheless, I get charged with operating an unsafe vehicle, my car is towed, and I don't get to drive it again until it's fixed. That the death was unavoidable doesn't change any of this.

Uber's cars need to be off the street until the failure is both explained and fixed. Of course this is a lot more complicated than fixing brakes.

Last edited by hikernut; 03-25-2018 at 04:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 05:07 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
I can’t wait till there’s an autonomous only lane that allows you to drive bumper to bumper at over 100mph. It would be much safer and quicker. There would be no road rage or anything, just sit back and watch a movie.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
I'm getting that deja-vu feeling = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_flag_traffic_laws

Old 03-25-2018, 09:29 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I can’t wait till there’s an autonomous only lane that allows you to drive bumper to bumper at over 100mph. It would be much safer and quicker. There would be no road rage or anything, just sit back and watch a movie.
Like this?

Old 03-25-2018, 10:41 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Like this?
Actually along with AVs it looks like the day of the flying taxi may be about to hit. After all these decades urban flying cars may now be practical. Another factor of two in battery energy density and it may become very common.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:16 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually along with AVs it looks like the day of the flying taxi may be about to hit. After all these decades urban flying cars may now be practical. Another factor of two in battery energy density and it may become very common.
That was supposed to happen in the 1950s. We are still waiting.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:07 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
That was supposed to happen in the 1950s. We are still waiting.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...ithin-a-decade

It’s way easier to automate than a car.
Telling politicians they never have to widen a road or make a bridge ever again while speeding up traffic and minimizing accidents is pretty hard to turn down.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:39 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,043,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The problem is that you are not starting at zero, with people you are already losing a minivan a week in addition to the monthly train wreck
Taiko I get your point. My point is this. Say your significant other takes your kids on a camping trip and you stay home. They are in an autonomous vehicle. There is a SNAFU and all are killed in the vehicle. What happens? The investigation finds that either your vehicle or another vehicle's ANS system failed. Do you just chalk it up to a mechanical failure like say a brake line or a tire blow out?

At this stage of the technology we really have no idea whether it will work or not or be safer or not. Who's going to take on the liability? Way too many questions yet to be considered let alone answered. I haven't even considered the security aspects of this technology as others have mentioned. Nor have I considered the question of integrating old and new technology sharing the same roads.

You think the NRA love's their guns? Have you watched the Velocity channel lately? Maybe if the current administration sells us out to China or Russia it would have a better chance. I don't see it in mine or my children's lifetime.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:04 PM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Nobody was driving the car. The human was half asleep, and paying no attention whatsoever. Which is not conduct that should be encouraged, with these so called "driverless cars".
Yeah. I read where one journalist announced that, sure, the truck driver will be in the cab, but he could be doing paperwork or catching up on his sleep.

Evidently journalism just isn't all that hard.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:34 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
"Self driving cars still have a better record than humans."

Hmm, I'm pretty sure no one here ran over and killed a human being who didn't use a crosswalk. And there's 2 million people on this site.

Jaywalking doesn't deserve the death penalty. Something is wrong when self-driving tech gets to play God or use humans as guinea pigs during its testing phase. "It's the humans fault! How dare it be an imperfect human!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive