Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 09:42 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
"Self driving cars still have a better record than humans."

Hmm, I'm pretty sure no one here ran over and killed a human being who didn't use a crosswalk. And there's 2 million people on this site.

Jaywalking doesn't deserve the death penalty. Something is wrong when self-driving tech gets to play God or use humans as guinea pigs during its testing phase. "It's the humans fault! How dare it be an imperfect human!"
Governor has shut Uber down. Good call. They should have to explain what happened and how they fixed it before they get a car on the road again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 07:42 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Arizona governor suspends Uber's ability to test self-driving cars

Ducey called the crash "an unquestionable failure."

"In the best interests of the people of my state, I have directed the Arizona Department of Transportation to suspend Uber's ability to test and operate autonomous vehicles on Arizona's public roadways," Ducey said.

The letter strikes a dramatically different tone from late 2016, when Ducey invited Uber to his state with celebration, saying "Arizona welcomes Uber self-driving cars with open arms and wide open roads." At the time, a banner was hung on a building in Phoenix welcoming Uber.

Uber moved its driverless cars to Arizona from San Francisco after California regulators shut down the self-driving fleet for not having the proper permits.
Uber_ Arizona governor suspends ability to test self-driving cars

It would have been in the best interest of the state, not to allow unproven, untested technology on the roads in the first place.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
"Self driving cars still have a better record than humans."

Hmm, I'm pretty sure no one here ran over and killed a human being who didn't use a crosswalk. And there's 2 million people on this site.

Jaywalking doesn't deserve the death penalty. Something is wrong when self-driving tech gets to play God or use humans as guinea pigs during its testing phase. "It's the humans fault! How dare it be an imperfect human!"
It's the Bill Gates/Microsoft method, don't bother with much beta testing, getting it to work as best as you can in a short timeframe then just barf it out to the public and let THEM do the heavy testing for us for FREE and we'll just keep putting out updates while the public pulls their hair out in frustration.

With self driving cars, instead of blue screens of death and loss of critical data it's loss of life or severe injuries. "While her death is tragic we got some very good data"...

Old 03-27-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It's the Bill Gates/Microsoft method, don't bother with much beta testing, getting it to work as best as you can in a short timeframe then just barf it out to the public and let THEM do the heavy testing for us for FREE and we'll just keep putting out updates while the public pulls their hair out in frustration.

With self driving cars, instead of blue screens of death and loss of critical data it's loss of life or severe injuries. "While her death is tragic we got some very good data"...
That is a good analogy. Instead of blue screen of death, this is just death.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:31 AM

12,392 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
Taiko I get your point. My point is this. Say your significant other takes your kids on a camping trip and you stay home. They are in an autonomous vehicle. There is a SNAFU and all are killed in the vehicle. What happens? The investigation finds that either your vehicle or another vehicle's ANS system failed. Do you just chalk it up to a mechanical failure like say a brake line or a tire blow out?

At this stage of the technology we really have no idea whether it will work or not or be safer or not. Who's going to take on the liability? Way too many questions yet to be considered let alone answered. I haven't even considered the security aspects of this technology as others have mentioned. Nor have I considered the question of integrating old and new technology sharing the same roads.

You think the NRA love's their guns? Have you watched the Velocity channel lately? Maybe if the current administration sells us out to China or Russia it would have a better chance. I don't see it in mine or my children's lifetime.
Exactly it will be just chalked up. Because the company that relies on human drivers will be sued into oblivion when a personal injury attorney puts up the accident figures with humans in comparison. and the court awards will reflect it. Just as the car had a catastrophic failure, humans also have catastrophic failures in the loss of consciousness from say a heart attack or stroke in addition to getting high, looking at their phone,glancing at their kid in the backseat at the critical moment or joining the Jihad.

After the commercial driving industry is gone that leaves the commuters who don't want to be tied into staring at the road rather than playing something as they are moved from one location to the other for hours in some locations. And they are going to vastly outnumber the fast and furious play drivers. Meaning the robot riders who will be the majority and the insurance industry will get higher and higher insurance premiums to indulge the fun driving consumer, who because of his slower human reactions and sensor package limited to two sensors in front of his face which may need the enhancements which he refuses to wear for fashion are going to wreak and kill more people.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:33 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

It would have been in the best interest of the state, not to allow unproven, untested technology on the roads in the first place.
Post is more nonsense. That technology has been tested very well and works very well in this sort of case. The problem here is that UBER does not appear to have been using it or using it correctly.

But the ability to target and identify such a target is well proven.

That is what makes the UBER screw so bad.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Post is more nonsense. That technology has been tested very well and works very well in this sort of case. The problem here is that UBER does not appear to have been using it or using it correctly.

They suspended Uber's ability to test and operate autonomous vehicles on Arizona's public roadways. "Test means that it is being tested, not that it has been tested.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:57 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,043,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Exactly it will be just chalked up. Because the company that relies on human drivers will be sued into oblivion when a personal injury attorney puts up the accident figures with humans in comparison. and the court awards will reflect it. Just as the car had a catastrophic failure, humans also have catastrophic failures in the loss of consciousness from say a heart attack or stroke in addition to getting high, looking at their phone,glancing at their kid in the backseat at the critical moment or joining the Jihad.

After the commercial driving industry is gone that leaves the commuters who don't want to be tied into staring at the road rather than playing something as they are moved from one location to the other for hours in some locations. And they are going to vastly outnumber the fast and furious play drivers. Meaning the robot riders who will be the majority and the insurance industry will get higher and higher insurance premiums to indulge the fun driving consumer, who because of his slower human reactions and sensor package limited to two sensors in front of his face which may need the enhancements which he refuses to wear for fashion are going to wreak and kill more people.
You may very well be right in the short term. In the long term I don't believe vehicle owners will accept the liability when the system fails and if that is true the court systems will be a nightmare. Time will tell.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:15 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,043,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

Quote:

If you are so confident the technology has been so well proven I would appreciate a more detailed explanation of how Uber's implementation strayed from the "de-facto standard", assuming a standard even exists, that you believe has been so well tested.

I agree with ClDz about AZ agreeing to this testing. Also I believe they should have stopped ALL experimental testing of this technology until an investigation was completed.

Again I ask all you anti-humanists who seem to want so desperately for this technology to be fully implemented ASAP, what if the victim was your family member? Deep down in my gut I can't help but feel this is the digital version of the biological chaos theory from Jurassic Park.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:14 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:

The car targeted that woman perfectly, so I see your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive