Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 01:41 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,747 times

Advertisements

So how much longer do I have to wait until I can ignore everything on the road and let my car do ALL the driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 07:08 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockyman View Post
so how much longer do i have to wait until i can ignore everything on the road and let my car do all the driving?
2525, give or take a year.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:48 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
2525, give or take a year.
"In the year 2525, if man is still alive..." - Zaeger & Evans 1969.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:42 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That's it. I should have said 5555 though.

Quote:
In the year 5555
Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
Your legs got nothin' to do
Some machine's doin' that for you

Old 05-30-2018, 11:52 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
So how much longer do I have to wait until I can ignore everything on the road and let my car do ALL the driving?
When our grandkids are adults, they will be joking about the old days when people actually had to manually drive their cars, they will wonder why it didnt happen sooner and how everyone survived in such a world!

They wont know what a traffic light or stop sign looks like!

Old 05-30-2018, 11:59 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It will be impossible for us to predict what will happen when AI takes to the road. Don't forget that speed and freedom on our roads is what is selling cars today. Americans will not be quick to give up what they consider their 'rights'. As the manufacturers gear up for AI there will be winners and losers. It is hard to say how Madison Ave will deal with the changes.

This is apples and oranges and too many variables.
When it comes to safety or security, people are very quick to give up things though.

It will be interesting to see how the insurance companies feel about the whole self drive transition, on one hand, increased safety and when its made mandatory, accidents, even fender benders, will be very rare, but at the same time, that will likely be the death nail for auto insurance too. People may still need coverage for things like tree limbs, hail damage, etc, but coverage for comp/ collision will not be needed anymore.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:40 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
When it comes to safety or security, people are very quick to give up things though.

It will be interesting to see how the insurance companies feel about the whole self drive transition, on one hand, increased safety and when its made mandatory, accidents, even fender benders, will be very rare, but at the same time, that will likely be the death nail for auto insurance too. People may still need coverage for things like tree limbs, hail damage, etc, but coverage for comp/ collision will not be needed anymore.

For thirty or forty years people in my area have talked about the coming passenger rail service and nothing has happened.

In the 1950's and 1960's I remember reading in Popular Science and Popular Mechanics about how we would all be flying around in flying cars by this time.

My point is that not everything happens like expected. Sometimes ideas do get off the ground and start to win public acceptance and then things go wrong. Many times the cost is seriously underestimated; like the LA to San Francisco high speed passenger service. Other times the public simply isn't ready to accept new ideas (like these two Californians that attacked these new vehicles: (Californians have attacked self-driving vehicles on San Francisco streets, DMV says | The Sacramento Bee).

It is virtually impossible to keep everybody happy all the time. Toss in greed and anything can happen.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:21 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
When our grandkids are adults, they will be joking about the old days when people actually had to manually drive their cars, they will wonder why it didnt happen sooner and how everyone survived in such a world!

They wont know what a traffic light or stop sign looks like!
BS. They’ll still need to know how to drive.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:31 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Ha, thats the song the prisoner is singing in Alien 3 right before he bites the dust.

Sorry to go OT.

Alien 3 had a few good decent parts, but compared to the first two, well, there is no comparison.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:30 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The car was in self-driving mode when it happened.

Self driving cars are going to come and there is no stopping that from happening.

However, we are crazy if we don't demand that before these cars are allowed to become anything more than experimental that they be tightly regulated. We should have data showing these vehicles are at 3X safer than ordinary cars before they are allowed to become commercially available. The data doesn't exist? The cars do not move beyond the experimental stage until it does.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...csp=chromepush

Why 3X safer than other cars?

Why not just as safe as current drivers which should be easily achievable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive