Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 09:29 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
They never will take anything away from me. I will never get in one of those death machines. I will always be driving a car with a steering wheel gas and brake pedal for as long as I live and no fascist sadists is gonna stop me!!!
I don't want a self-driving car either. Pay attention though because this is what I see happening:

1. The technology is gradually perfected over the next ten years.

2. By 2030, a system is available that will allow vehicles to operate about twice as safely as a car with a driver.

3. By 2032, the trucking companies have talked all government regulatory bodies into allowing them to operate entirely autonomous systems without a driver in the truck. Driverless trucks are common and transport much of the nation's freight. Without drivers, the cost of delivering freight drops considerably.

3. Totally autonomous cars begin appearing, but are quite expensive. However, the cost of self-driving technology is dropping year by year.

4. The automobile insurance industry is paying close attention. By 2035, it sees that the rate of accidents is substantially lower for self-driving cars. It begins offering discounts to those with the technology. By 2037, the discount is 50% or more. As the price of technology drops, insurance companies offer to pay to have autonomous technology installed in vehicles without it.

5. The insurance companies and various corporate interests call on Congress to pays laws requiring all cars to have this technology. Congress bows to this pressure and enacts these laws.

6. A few years later, the law is amended to require those without the technology to have it installed in their vehicles. Tax incentives are given to do this.

7. By 2040, all cars are autonomous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 09:36 AM

956 posts, read 511,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I don't want a self-driving car either. Pay attention though because this is what I see happening:

2. By 2030, a system is available that will allow vehicles to operate about twice as safely as a car with a driver.

3. By 2032, the trucking companies have talked all government regulatory bodies into allowing them to operate entirely autonomous systems without a driver in the truck. Driverless trucks are common and transport much of the nation's freight. Without drivers, the cost of delivering freight drops considerably.

3. Totally autonomous cars begin appearing, but are quite expensive. However, the cost of self-driving technology is dropping year by year.

4. The automobile insurance industry is paying close attention. By 2035, it sees that the rate of accidents is substantially lower for self-driving cars. It begins offering discounts to those with the technology. By 2037, the discount is 50% or more. As the price of technology drops, insurance companies offer to pay to have autonomous technology installed in vehicles without it.

5. The insurance companies and various corporate interests call on Congress to pays laws requiring all cars to have this technology. Congress bows to this pressure and enacts these laws.

6. A few years later, the law is amended to require those without the technology to have it installed in their vehicles. Tax incentives are given to do this.

It does not have to be that way. We the people can stand up and put a stop to this!! I will not vote for anyone who allows such nonsense on the road especially if they make it mandatory.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:03 AM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times
I doubt it will ever go 100% AV. There are just so many situations where it wouldn't make sense, on farms, construction sites, etc. And most of those vehicles will need access to public roads at some point. I could see some highways being restricted to only AVs though.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:33 AM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
It does not have to be that way. We the people can stand up and put a stop to this!! I will not vote for anyone who allows such nonsense on the road especially if they make it mandatory.
The insurance is mandatory and the companies will refuse to take on the risk except for a price the only the 1 percent can afford. You will just be priced off the roads and restricted to race tracks and collector shows.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:00 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:

Keep dreaming.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:08 AM

524 posts, read 522,074 times
Quote:
Self driving cars are going to come and there is no stopping that from happening.
I remember in the '80s when college professors warned that robots were the immediate future, and jobs for humans would be scarce. That was 30+ years ago.

Driverless technology is great but it will never replace human drivers who have feelings, empathy and quicker reflexes. As proven by this accident, there is no way for a computer to stop a 2 ton vehicle if a human walks in front of the car.

The convicted felon who was operating the Uber SUV could have prevented the accident if he was paying attention to the roadway.

If driverless technology becomes standard, the only way to stop the inevitable carnage is to prevent humans or animals from entering the roadways.

Last edited by IntentionsRGood; 03-24-2018 at 11:16 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The insurance is mandatory and the companies will refuse to take on the risk except for a price the only the 1 percent can afford. You will just be priced off the roads and restricted to race tracks and collector shows.
You are getting it backwards. The insurance companies will refuse to take on the risk of insuring self-driving cars except at a price that 1% can afford. Insurance companies are not going to pay for stupid preventable accidents like this one.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Personally, I think self driving cars will have very limited application. I don't think self driving trucks on public highways will ever happen.
The only way I envision self-driving cars or trucks is if they build walls or barriers to prevent humans or animals from walking across the road.

Driverless sensors are only as good as the range of information available. Imagine the carnage in rain, fog or snow.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Autonomous cars still have a better driving record than humans.
You assume there are hundreds or thousands of self-driving vehicles on the road. Until there are a substantial number of these vehicles operating on roadways, how can you make the claim they are safer?

Old 03-24-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
I remember in the '80s when college professors warned that robots were the immediate future, and jobs for humans would be scarce. That was 30+ years ago.

Driverless technology is great, but it will never replace human drivers who have feelings, empathy and quicker reflexes. As proven by this accident, there is no way for a computer to stop a 2 ton vehicle if a human walks in front of the car.

The convicted felon who was operating the Uber SUV could have prevented the accident if he was paying attention to the roadway.

If driverless technology becomes standard, the only way to stop the inevitable carnage is to prevent humans or animals from entering the roadways.
Robots will take over just about every single job, before self-driving cars take over the roads. Programing a robot to do a simple job is way easier than programming a car to drive on every road in the world, in every type of driving condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive