Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:11 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times

Advertisements

Almost every time I park my car far away in a parking lot, trying to avoid other people from parking next to me from getting door dings, scratches and possibly being hit ( I’m talking about far far away too) there’s always that one person that decides to park inches away from my car when they have hundreds of other spots to choose from!

I’m literally the only other car around far from a store, restaurant, the mall, grocery store etc so it’s doesn’t make sense and is extremely frustrating.

Does anyone know why people do this? I feel at times drivers do it on purpose to annoy the owner of the far away parked car. I mean seriously this has to be the single most irritating thing I’ve experienced as vehicle owner, besides for bad drivers on the road.

I’m just really cautious on where I park and want to keep my cars in good shape. I know this sounds petty, but I’m sure many of you can understand where I’m coming from since we love cars and want to make sure our vehicles stay nice looking for as long as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 02:56 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
I do it because I know I have found a person that feels the same way about their car as I do about mine. it's a protection thing. I know they won't ding mine and I certainly won't ding theirs.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:20 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I wouldn't worry much. Generally it's good to have strength in numbers... people park on the back at work and I think it would make them MORE likely to get hit head on as people swerve outside the lane at high rates of speed to get to whatever row they're going to park in.. you want people entering and leaving work flying by your car at 30 MPH by parking in the very back spot like some do?

Old 03-23-2018, 05:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
There are those who will intentionally seek out the car that’s parked all by itself and park next to it just to annoy people like you that are trying to avoid door dings. You are better off parking closer in, between two cars already parked, then try to get back and leave before they do.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I do it because I know I have found a person that feels the same way about their car as I do about mine. it's a protection thing. I know they won't ding mine and I certainly won't ding theirs.
True, and I can understand that, but when I see something beat up next to my newish car, it does worry me as whoever owns it, probably could give 2 ****s about damaging another vehicle. I tend to try not to park next to mini vans and big trucks if I have to since most likely people in mini vans have kids and we know how careless they can be. Big trucks have bad visibility and pulling in or out of a parking spots can potentially be risky if your car is next to it.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are those who will intentionally seek out the car that’s parked all by itself and park next to it just to annoy people like you that are trying to avoid door dings. You are better off parking closer in, between two cars already parked, then try to get back and leave before they do.
Ya, there has to be because it just doesn’t make sense. It could be a creature of habit thing as well, none the less, i makes you wonder what’s going on in people’s heads and why they do what they do.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:15 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
True, and I can understand that, but when I see something beat up next to my newish car, it does worry me as whoever owns it, probably could give 2 ****s about damaging another vehicle. I tend to try not to park next to mini vans and big trucks if I have to since most likely people in mini vans have kids and we know how careless they can be. Big trucks have bad visibility and pulling in or out of a parking spots can potentially be risky if your car is next to it.
The sliding door on my minivan has yet to ding anyone's car.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:56 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
One time I took my brand new audi out with my nephew. I parked away from the pack. When my nephew got out, a strong gust of wind caught his door and slammed it against a really shiny mercedes putting a deep dent in it. We got back in the car and moved it somewhere else.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I do it to park down wind and avoid sand hitting my car

Old 03-23-2018, 08:18 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
For this reason I always park in end spot up against the curb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive