Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 02:42 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Y'all never heard of used vehicles? I paid very little for my '02 2500HD Suburban and I use it regularly. There are so many opportunities as a homeowner to use a truck that find yourself using them quite a bit when you have them. Rent a truck? It's got to be available when I need it, for as long as I need it and the logistics of going to the rental agency and getting home from there again means it's more of a PITA to rent every time you need one than it is to just have a cheap truck and do what you need when you need it on your own schedule, instead of on someone else's (sitting around waiting all day for a delivery is no my idea of efficient use of time, not when I can just go get it when I want to).

As I said on page 1, I love my sedan. it's my daily driver. I love my convertible for weekend fun, and I love my Suburban for the work it can do.
Owned a home for 7 years and did top to bottom renovations. Needed a truck maybe FOUR times in all 7 of those years. And a few of those times were actually picking up large furniture, not a home depot type run. A truck was always available to rent, for as long as we needed it. Probably spent $250 in total renting trucks those 4 times if I recall.

Buying a truck, even a used one, would have been an enormous money sink for little to no use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 04:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
The big reason a lot of people no longer drive sedans, and other cars, is they have gotten so small, they no longer fit the needs.

1: They are so small, it is impossible for anyone of any height to sit up in them. They are impossible to very uncomfortable to even be in.

2: They are difficult to get into, with the distortions you have to put your body through to even get in one.

3: Their capacity to carry people has shrunk to the point they are not practical for a lot of people.

4: On long trips, they are exhausting for a large percentage of people.

And these are just 4 of the basic reasons, people are abandoning them for other more useful vehicles.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:08 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times
Sedans cover a wide range of interior space and layouts. It's hard to apply those comments to sedans as a whole. As someone who has to rent cars a lot for work when I travel, I don't find your comments to be the case. But that's also just personnel perception.

Last edited by Sunbather; 04-11-2018 at 05:20 PM..

Old 04-11-2018, 05:52 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Owned a home for 7 years and did top to bottom renovations. Needed a truck maybe FOUR times in all 7 of those years. And a few of those times were actually picking up large furniture, not a home depot type run. A truck was always available to rent, for as long as we needed it. Probably spent $250 in total renting trucks those 4 times if I recall.

Buying a truck, even a used one, would have been an enormous money sink for little to no use.
You didn’t do any heavy renovating if you only used a truck four times, or you hired someone to come do everything for you. I have hauled everything on mine from drywall to 12’ long boxes of vinyl siding using my bed extender.

Not everyone lives somewhere where you can have everything delivered, or where it’s convenient to rent a truck. The nearest place to rent a pickup is 50 miles away from me, too big of a hassle. I’d rather have my own.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:32 PM

430 posts, read 557,833 times
I would rather drive a midsize or large sedan with rwd every day over any suv or crossover. My family is in the same camp as most with one large family vehicle and a sedan.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:08 PM

4,621 posts, read 3,007,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The big reason a lot of people no longer drive sedans, and other cars, is they have gotten so small, they no longer fit the needs.

1: They are so small, it is impossible for anyone of any height to sit up in them. They are impossible to very uncomfortable to even be in.

2: They are difficult to get into, with the distortions you have to put your body through to even get in one.

3: Their capacity to carry people has shrunk to the point they are not practical for a lot of people.

4: On long trips, they are exhausting for a large percentage of people.

And these are just 4 of the basic reasons, people are abandoning them for other more useful vehicles.
Agreed... I haven't owned a vehicle for many years because I live in a big city and get around on transit. But I'll soon be moving out to the 'country,' so to speak, and will most likely buy a Subaru SUV. From the occasional rental experience, I've been pleased at some features of new cars (notably, usb ports), but irked at the low roofs and excessively-sloped windshields (and I'm 5-10... I can't imagine how tall people fit into these cars). It's remarkable that no manufacturer is willing to take a chance on building a 'throwback' type of car (something like an old Volvo -- tall and boxy, not stylish but very practical). What are they afraid of? Why the herd instinct?

There are still plenty of Toyota Camrys around here, though... and those things seem to last forever. So sedans won't disappear completely.

What part of the nation are you in, Old Trader?

Old 04-11-2018, 07:08 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Y'all never heard of used vehicles? I paid very little for my '02 2500HD Suburban and I use it regularly. There are so many opportunities as a homeowner to use a truck that find yourself using them quite a bit when you have them. Rent a truck? It's got to be available when I need it, for as long as I need it and the logistics of going to the rental agency and getting home from there again means it's more of a PITA to rent every time you need one than it is to just have a cheap truck and do what you need when you need it on your own schedule, instead of on someone else's (sitting around waiting all day for a delivery is no my idea of efficient use of time, not when I can just go get it when I want to).

As I said on page 1, I love my sedan. it's my daily driver. I love my convertible for weekend fun, and I love my Suburban for the work it can do.
A Suburban isn’t a truck. It’s an SUV.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:20 PM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A $50K full size pickup is now the average transaction price. People aren't buying poverty spec XLT trim level.

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2016/12/...-truck-prices/

[/b]
The XLT isn't the base level for the F 150.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:01 PM

9,519 posts, read 4,348,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You didn’t do any heavy renovating if you only used a truck four times, or you hired someone to come do everything for you. I have hauled everything on mine from drywall to 12’ long boxes of vinyl siding using my bed extender.

Not everyone lives somewhere where you can have everything delivered, or where it’s convenient to rent a truck. The nearest place to rent a pickup is 50 miles away from me, too big of a hassle. I’d rather have my own.
Nonsense. Renting a truck or having stuff delivered is far, far less expensive than buying a $60K plus tank. You do know that HD rents trucks, right? If you live 50 miles from a big box home improvement center, you're about .0001% of the population. My advice? Move.

Also, having a farm vehicle as your only vehicle makes zero sense under ANY circumstance. Unless you're a farmer, of course.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:02 PM

9,519 posts, read 4,348,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
A Suburban isn’t a truck. It’s an SUV.
Yep. And who wants to drive a 16 year old POS on a daily basis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive