Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 07:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
If people quit buying stupid CUV's, we'd be good to go! They are image cars to most people, and all the image is conveying is that they have no fashion sense or common sense.
How could they possibly be an image car when there are so many of them all over the place? They have become the new normal, and I do agree they are bland, no "fashion", but then the modern sedan is the same. The only good looking cars are "muscle" coupes (and some pickups.) The CUVs are selling because they are a more economical version of the big SUV, which is an image car, like Sequoya, Armada, Expedition, Tahoe and Suburban. They are mostly ugly too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 09:04 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Why are you concerned with what kind of vehicle someone else buys?
1. these modern buyers demand automatic-only transmissions
2. companies like Ford have now dropped almost their entire car lineup because people don't want them anymore

Old 05-03-2018, 09:11 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
How could they possibly be an image car when there are so many of them all over the place?

Its the whole "keeping up with the Joneses" thing, which definitely makes these vehicles image cars in my book. People buy them when they absolutely don't need them. For example: we don't need AWD in southern AZ, but every other car is an SUV or CUV. Case in point.

Quote:
They have become the new normal, and I do agree they are bland,

Refer to the "keeping up with the Joneses" comment above.

Quote:
no "fashion", but then the modern sedan is the same.

I would completely disagree. Sedans like the Fusion, S Class, Genesis, ATV, etc, are quite good looking. Ive never stopped in my tracks and stared at a new Escape and said "wow, that's sexy" like I have a Maserati Quattroporte. Even the luxury SUVs are hideous. Here's looking at you Bentayga, Levante, Urus, etc. HIDEOUS!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
The only good looking cars are "muscle" coupes (and some pickups.)

That's your opinion. And in any case, cars are far better proportioned and better looking than any SUV ever will be. Cars end up in museums as art displays. SUV's don't.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:50 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times
Not everyone wants a cross-over or whatever they are called. I commute and sit in traffic alot and the gas mileage would not be that great. I had to drive a Toyota Rav 4 for a couple days and although I loved driving it, the gas mileage sucked. Thanks but no thanks.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:50 AM

342 posts, read 317,786 times
People aren't buying Sedans because they are buying SUVs and Pickups.

People are buying SUVs and Pickups, even though few actually need them (including myself) because:

- People have extra money to waste
- At under $4 / gallon gas is cheap
- Global warming is of a low concern to many

Old 05-03-2018, 04:36 PM

4,541 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
People aren't buying Sedans because they are buying SUVs and Pickups.

People are buying SUVs and Pickups, even though few actually need them (including myself) because:

- People have extra money to waste
- At under $4 / gallon gas is cheap
- Global warming is of a low concern to many

Add to that list that people think they might need that space for that special occasion. Like they take a vacation once a year. Or they think they need the cargo space for the Home Depot/Lowes trip when all they are really buying is stuff that can fit in the trunk of a sedan.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:45 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
The last car we bought was a 4 dr sedan. We are considering trading it for an SUV. The sedan really doesn’t meet our needs as well as an SUV would. We are retired people, who take car trips, haul stuff from the DIY stores, and want to be able to see over traffic.
Do we need to haul our canoe off road? No, but we need to carry stuff and be comfortable.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:18 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,018,675 times
We have a German sedan and a Grand Cherokee. The Grand Cherokee is infinitely more useful on weekend errands than my sedan is. Some of it has to do with us being home owners and buying a lot of things for household projects and the such, but I’d much rather throw 20 bags of mulch in tbthe back of the GC than I would even one in the back of the sedan. A wagon version of my sedan would split the difference but no one here in the US wants those either...so SUV or CUV it is.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:51 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The last car we bought was a 4 dr sedan. We are considering trading it for an SUV. The sedan really doesn’t meet our needs as well as an SUV would. We are retired people, who take car trips, haul stuff from the DIY stores, and want to be able to see over traffic.
Do we need to haul our canoe off road? No, but we need to carry stuff and be comfortable.
You do realize that once everyone has large vehicles, you won't be able to see over traffic anymore, right?

Old 05-04-2018, 05:49 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its the whole "keeping up with the Joneses" thing, which definitely makes these vehicles image cars in my book. People buy them when they absolutely don't need them. For example: we don't need AWD in southern AZ, but every other car is an SUV or CUV. Case in point.
Where I live most of these new crossovers are FWD, very few are AWD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive