Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 06:39 AM

712 posts, read 531,103 times

Advertisements

Death of sedans? lol...Millions are sold every year. Honda accord alone sold over 300k units JUST IN AMERICA. That's considered the "death"? Accord sales are down this year, but corolla are up. But millions of sedans are still selling. A more correct statement is cross overs are eating into a small portion of sedan sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 10:59 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,477,894 times
American sedan sales have declined for many reasons. One I haven’t heard anyone mention is cheap financing and leasing. Cheap financing and leasing have put average Joe’s into luxury automobiles and expensive trucks and SUV’s that were otherwise unaffordable. How many Americans can truely afford a $50,000 pickup truck or Suburban? Yet we see incredible numbers of new ones on the roads.

The latest trend of declining American sedans sales is really a continuation of a trend that began in the late 70’s due to downsizing as a result of oil prices and competition with foreign brands. The American makers have lost that battle after decades of trying to catch up. Perhaps the latest Ford decision is an admission of defeat on the sedan front. Ford came to their senses that producing trucks and powerful muscle cars is what their strength is.

The giant boat sized sedans if the 70s never really went away. They were largely replaced by the SUVs and trucks we see today. Those trucks and SUVs fill a void left by the downsizing of sedans that went unfilled.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:41 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,109,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
U.S. car sales are down. They have been down since last year after being way up for the past 7 years at least. Especially sales of sedans. Apparently everyone wants trucks and SUVs, not sedans.

Why do you think car sales are down, when the economy is great, people have jobs, more money to spend (thanks Trump) and interest rates are still low? You could blame it on higher prices for cars, but then why are people buying higher priced trucks and SUVs when they could get a sedan cheaper? Not only are SUVS/trucks more expensive but they are also more expensive to gas up.

Also, I thought the trend was U.S. consumers moving toward electric cars and more fuel efficient cars. Why is everyone buying trucks and SUVs? Did they forget when gas prices went to $4+????
Yeah, I'm still waiting to see that extra take-home pay, the Great Pumpkin promised.

Back to the thread.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:06 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,342,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I noticed something interesting a fully loaded Toyota Camry, costed $29,880 in 2002 but about $31,000-$34,000 in 2018. So the prices of sedans seems to have stayed nearly flat all these years. Though prices of pickups SUVs CUVs are a totally different matter. For example A fully loaded 4Runner SUV or highlander CUV costed $31,000 back in 2002 but about $45,000 in 2018 about $13,000 difference. I guess this shows the demand for sedans are very low all these years compared to SUVs, CUVs, and pickups so dealers are able get away with gauging buyers by raising SUV CUV and pickup pricing to profitable levels. Though they have to discount sedan pricing just to get them off the lot.
The dealer doesn't set the MSRP, the manufacturer does. As far as discounting goes, it's not uncommon for dealers to advertise $13, $14, or even $15,000 off the sticker of a loaded full-size pickup truck. I've yet to see any dealer offer more than $6,000 off the sticker of a mid-size sedan.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:12 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Yeah, I'm still waiting to see that extra take-home pay, the Great Pumpkin promised.

Back to the thread.

Feeding into your off topic for a minute, the School Board of my (former) Maryland school system just turned down a 4% over three years raise for teachers by saying that since there was a tax cut the teachers already received 3% from it.

And before you say "Damned Republicans" it's Prince George's County, 90% D.

Administrators got 36%.

Back to the thread.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 05-01-2018 at 04:30 PM..

Old 05-02-2018, 05:15 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

Back to the thread.
Check with your employer. I am getting about $95 more in each paycheck.

Back to the thread.

I own a sedan. Cars are more comfortable than trucks and SUVs and there is no changing that. I spend enough time in my company vehicle being uncomfortable. When I am on my own time, I want to be comfortable. My other vehicle that my wife drives primarily is an SUV. The sedan is more comfortable, even though both are premium trim levels with leather interiors, etc.

People will still buy sedans. They'll just have less models to choose from. I think we are pretty far off from them becoming a thing of the pass, regardless of Ford's recent maneuver. When I bought my car two years ago, Ford wasn't even on my radar.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:10 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
The fact that Ford is dropping cars except for the Mustang, it shows that the trend away from sedans is big enough, that Ford is getting rid of the sedans and cars they built in the past, preparing for the future. They are going to be turning their assembly lines, to be building what their customers are buying.

Just like the big three are no longer building Mini Vans in the USA. Ford and Chevrolet have dropped them completely, and the only few Dodge still builds are built in Canada.

The car market is changing, and the auto companies in the future, will be building what the public wants.

Look at how the sales totals are falling for sedans, etc. Here are totals for March 2018.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/04...ehicle-ranked/

The models with the major growth in sales, are the ones that Ford will now be building, no matter who makes them. The ones that are dropping fast, are the ones that Ford will no longer be building, again no matter who makes them.

Times are changing, and what the public will buy today, is changing.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:16 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
If people quit buying stupid CUV's, we'd be good to go! They are image cars to most people, and all the image is conveying is that they have no fashion sense or common sense.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:58 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,145,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
If people quit buying stupid CUV's, we'd be good to go! They are image cars to most people, and all the image is conveying is that they have no fashion sense or common sense.
Why are you concerned with what kind of vehicle someone else buys?

Old 05-02-2018, 04:11 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,071 times
When they came for the coupes, I was not a coupe, so I said nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive