Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 12:30 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times

Advertisements

Cars are a lot more expensive now but they also last a lot longer, so many people are keeping their cars for a longer time. I used to have to get a new car every two or three years but now I can easily make it ten years due to increased reliability and not driving as much since I don’t commute to work anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 12:35 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,757,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Well, one example that came up the other day in the wake of Ford dropping sedans is between the Fusion and Edge (both built on the same platform):

Ford Fusion 2.0T FWD gets 21/31, combined 25. Yearly fuel cost $1700.
Ford Edge 2.0T FWD Gets 21/29, combined 24, yearly fuel cost estimate $1700

No, the CUV does not get "better" fuel mileage, but that 1 MPG difference in combined use, or that $50 a year in average fuel cost difference simply is not enough of a difference to sway people to one, or the other configuration on fuel costs.

Does this mean any potential sedan gets the same or near similar mileage as any potential SUV/CUV? No. Does it mean if a mileage conscious buyer wanted a vehicle should only consider a sedan because of the gas guzzling stereotype of SUV's? No.

It is also a great example of how modern car based CUV's do get respectable mileage, equivalent and nearly as good as sedan equivalents, when apples and apples are compared.
So you proved my point. And I would pretty much consider Ford an exception because the Fusion is terribly inefficient compared to the competition.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:46 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I have an Accord and a CRV, both 2017s. The Accord regularly gets 41-43 mpg highway. The CRV never gets anything above 30 highway.
Fuel economy varies depending on which transmission and engine options you choose, but in its most fuel-efficient non-hybrid configuration, the Accord gets 30/38/33 mpg city/highway/combined with the 1.5-liter engine and a CVT in LX, EX, and EX-L trims. With the least efficient Accord, those numbers drop to 22/32/26 mpg as an Accord 2.0T Touring or the Accord 2.0T with a six-speed manual transmission.

On the other hand, the most fuel-efficient CR-V is the front-drive model with the 1.5-liter engine, which gets 28/34/30 mpg. In least efficient form (a CR-V LX with all-wheel drive), the CR-V drops to 25/31/27 mpg.

Car Compare: 2018 Honda Accord and 2018 Honda CR-V - Motor Trend

Old 04-30-2018, 12:55 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
Please note that a second thread on the same topic has been merged into this thread.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:45 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,143,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Well, one example that came up the other day in the wake of Ford dropping sedans is between the Fusion and Edge (both built on the same platform):

Ford Fusion 2.0T FWD gets 21/31, combined 25. Yearly fuel cost $1700.
Ford Edge 2.0T FWD Gets 21/29, combined 24, yearly fuel cost estimate $1700

No, the CUV does not get "better" fuel mileage, but that 1 MPG difference in combined use, or that $50 a year in average fuel cost difference simply is not enough of a difference to sway people to one, or the other configuration on fuel costs.

Does this mean any potential sedan gets the same or near similar mileage as any potential SUV/CUV? No. Does it mean if a mileage conscious buyer wanted a vehicle should only consider a sedan because of the gas guzzling stereotype of SUV's? No.

It is also a great example of how modern car based CUV's do get respectable mileage, equivalent and nearly as good as sedan equivalents, when apples and apples are compared.
Ford Edge is also atleast $5K more than a Fusion 2.0T though. Both seat 5 and unless you have something huge to carry that cant fit in the Fusion's pretty big Trunk, you are getting a vehicle with sloppier handling, that weighs atleast 500lbs more, looks worse and slower from carrying all that weight.

So if IO want a decent looking car in the future, its either pretty much force yourself to like the non Edge sport looks or buy something else. pretty sure the new explorer will be nice, but pricey too.

Ford has pretty much just Given all the other auto makers almost 300K sales from the Fusion, Fiesta, C-max, for people that refuse to buy a crossover.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:39 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,236,397 times
Accords are better looking and more fun to drive compared to CRV's. I'd take it over a CRV even if it got worse fuel economy.

With Ford i'm surprised that they're getting rid of the Focus in the US. The Focus is very popular in Europe, so I would think that bringing it to the US would be cheap.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:43 PM

4,482 posts, read 3,857,652 times
The Ford Fusion is my fave car to pick when I get to the Avis rental counter at the airport. I'm sad they are getting rid of it.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:34 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Decline? Yes. Death? Never.

They get better highway mileage because of aerodynamics, are quieter because the trunk is sealed off from the cabin, and they handle better because of a lower center of gravity. Crossovers and SUVs/CUVs are fine vehicles and very versatile. But the death of the sedan is greatly exaggerated.

To Tiffer...I'm an E23 guy myself.
One would think with the constant fuel-efficiency many sedans have, they would be more in demand.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:50 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I just think auto/truck prices in general have become way too expensive for many people.
I noticed something interesting a fully loaded Toyota Camry, costed $29,880 in 2002 but about $31,000-$34,000 in 2018. So the prices of sedans seems to have stayed nearly flat all these years. Though prices of pickups SUVs CUVs are a totally different matter. For example A fully loaded 4Runner SUV or highlander CUV costed $31,000 back in 2002 but about $45,000 in 2018 about $13,000 difference. I guess this shows the demand for sedans are very low all these years compared to SUVs, CUVs, and pickups so dealers are able get away with gauging buyers by raising SUV CUV and pickup pricing to profitable levels. Though they have to discount sedan pricing just to get them off the lot.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:53 PM

45,432 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The Ford Fusion is my fave car to pick when I get to the Avis rental counter at the airport. I'm sad they are getting rid of it.
I am probably going to buy a car in the next 3 or 4 years (Mrs. NBP wants a new Forester first) simply because I get tired of driving my F150 all the time and I actually like driving a car.

I'd pretty much narrowed my list to a Civic or Fusion. I guess I'm down to one now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive