Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 02:44 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Like all public transportation in the US it needed massive subsidies from non-users to operate.
Not one underground metro network in the world is viable by selling ticket, neither are most mass transit networks. They are a social and economic necessity. They aid in growth creation. The taxes from the economic growth pay for their upkeep. Quite simple. The secret is having all these essential transport monopolies under public ownership, then private sharks are kept away.

Trams are "zero emission". They do not emit poisons right into the lungs of millions of people in concentrated cities.

Trams cleaned up the cities by reducing horses in the streets.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:32 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN0g4fDq8MQ

Old 06-15-2018, 01:27 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
I have a plugin hybrid for 1 yr ... love love love the car. No worries about range anxiety as there's a 11 gal fuel tank at 65 mpg. I get 38 ev miles, down to about 30 in winter, which is enough for local errands and is better for the longevity of the car not running the engine on short trips. I plug in for free locally so most driving cost nothing to me.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:06 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
While I don't think the "tipping point" is only two years away, at least where I live, I would embrace and EV. I'd love to have one for my 16 mile round trip commute. I also need a 3/4 ton diesel truck as well and at the moment can't afford both.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:15 AM

45,393 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I have a plugin hybrid for 1 yr ... love love love the car. No worries about range anxiety as there's a 11 gal fuel tank at 65 mpg. I get 38 ev miles, down to about 30 in winter, which is enough for local errands and is better for the longevity of the car not running the engine on short trips. I plug in for free locally so most driving cost nothing to me.
So you drive for free on your fellow taxpayer's dime (I'm assuming this is a municipal charger)?

Old 06-15-2018, 05:23 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
I'll admit that I haven't read all of the 344 posts so far.

But I'll admit that I'm impressed with the idea of an electric car. My daughter, who lives in San Fran, bought a used Nissan Leaf for under $10K. She let me drive it. I really loved the instant torque, quick acceleration, and quietness. She uses it for commuting; there a fully electric car can use the commuting lane with a sole occupant.

But the best part is no petrol ever. Just plug it in when you get home and it's recharged by the morning. Never wait in line at a gas station and never do oil changes and the brakes last a long time.

As for the "tipping" point, I bet that will be determined by China and the EU by regulations. Once manufacturers reach scale, the prices will drop very quickly.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:46 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

But I'll admit that I'm impressed with the idea of an electric car. My daughter, who lives in San Fran, bought a used Nissan Leaf for under $10K. She let me drive it. I really loved the instant torque, quick acceleration, and quietness. She uses it for commuting; there a fully electric car can use the commuting lane with a sole occupant.

But the best part is no petrol ever. Just plug it in when you get home and it's recharged by the morning. Never wait in line at a gas station and never do oil changes and the brakes last a long time.

As for the "tipping" point, I bet that will be determined by China and the EU by regulations. Once manufacturers reach scale, the prices will drop very quickly.

How old was the leaf when she picked it up?

Old 06-15-2018, 09:28 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:

Does she live in her car??? Isn’t cheapest rent in SF around $50k a month?? Haha sorry, had to do it.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:02 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:

No need to read all 344 post, it’s just a bunch of delusional ramblings by someone who lives in an apartment in some foreign city.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:20 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Alstom tested a hydrogen fuel cell train last year in Germany to great success. They are being trialled on the new Liverpool to Chester service in England later this year. Zero emissions. No need for expensive overhead wires.
No offense, but that's not a train. It's a rail-bound interurban bus.

So fuel cells are the REAL future then, not EV's? Nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive