Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 02:39 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,066,627 times

Advertisements

New ultra-low emission zone in London to be 18 times larger than initially planned.

'The announcements follow new research from scientists at the universities of Oxford and Bath showing each car in London costs the NHS and society £8,000 due to air pollution over the course of its lifetime.

Air pollution is linked with a range of health conditions including lung cancer and cardiovascular disease. Levels in the capital have consistently breached legal levels for years.'

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8389076.html
Many cities are following London. If you have a diesel car you pay more for parking. You also pay more for entering the congestion zone. EVs are free.

Fossil fuel vehicles are subsidised, as they do not pay for the fall out from the filth they emit.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:20 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Oil and gas poison the air when burnt. Look at the disasters in extracting and transporting oil.

You don’t live in the Congo and I don’t live near an oil well.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
New ultra-low emission zone in London to be 18 times larger than initially planned.

'The announcements follow new research from scientists at the universities of Oxford and Bath showing each car in London costs the NHS and society £8,000 due to air pollution over the course of its lifetime.

Air pollution is linked with a range of health conditions including lung cancer and cardiovascular disease. Levels in the capital have consistently breached legal levels for years.'

Many cities are following London. If you have a diesel car you pay more for parking. You also pay more for entering the congestion zone. EVs are free.

Fossil fuel vehicles are subsidised, as they do not pay for the fall out from the filth they emit.
You’re inventing new ways to define “subsidize” because the actual definition is not convenient for you.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:46 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times
Quote:

How dose British Petroleum feel about that.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:49 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I don’t get why it’s supposed to be all or nothing with BEV fanatics. Is a plug in hybrid or a hybrid with 50mpg and no infrastructure and lifestyle compromises not good enough? It’s a far more practical sell.
I didn't end up buying one yesterday, but now hybrids are on the radar as a second car. It's absolutely the fact that I don't have to compromise why EV's won't be considered. Even my mom (who will drive my car when she is around) thinks it's a good idea. She doesn't have to learn a whole new system, try to find apps that will possibly lead her to a charging station that's available, remember to plug in when she gets home, etc.

The more I think about it, the more drawbacks there are to all EV.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You’re inventing new ways to define “subsidize” because the actual definition is not convenient for you.
If you pollute our air, you pay. That is not subsidizing EVs, that is discouraging polluters. I see logic is not your strong point.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
How dose British Petroleum feel about that.
The name is BP, they dropped the petroleum word. Why? Because they are an energy company. They are heavily into solar.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:02 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times
Quote:
The name is BP, they dropped the petroleum word. Why? Because they are an energy company. They are heavily into solar.
Well we all know them for the deep horizon oil spill that ruined the gulf waters for the gulf states. Their gas stations all say bp here so bp is heavy into crude oil still.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
If you pollute our air, you pay. That is not subsidizing EVs, that is discouraging polluters. I see logic is not your strong point.
You of all people cannot accuse anybody of being illogical.
If everybody who used petroleum products were penalized you would be living in a cave because you wouldn’t be able to afford your lifestyle.

All those trips you took to the US so that you could “see more of it than I have”, were those taken by electric plane? Did you not drive on asphault roads, or use any plastic in your entire life? Those charging stations they put in front of your apartment, was that done by electric construction equipment? The plants providing power for your chargers are not solar, they’re fired by natural gas and coal.

You’re a hypocrite. You want everybody else and technology to enable you to live the way you want to live without making sacrifices of your own.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:14 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,422,356 times
Push the EV vehicles all you want. Its like having a gas vehicle with a 5 gal. tank. The battery technology is not there yet. 200-300 miles (during summer months) on a charge with limited charging stations is not a selling point. As I said before, 1000 mile range and $25,000 vehicle, call me. Buying a new vehicle this month. Buying an EV in NOT even considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive