Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 08:49 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,066,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
On one of our major trips, actually two of them in the same direction but different end points, it's 330 miles. Which means that with an EV, assuming optimal power use, we'd have to stop 30 minutes from our destination for a minimum 30 minutes to recharge the vehicle.
Firstly, you should not be driving 330 miles non-stop. You should take a break, as you will be danger to other road users and yourself. Driving 330 miles at an average of 70mph is near 5 hours without a break. You must have some bladder to go that long. But, you are saved as even Mercedes are introducing an EV at the end of the year that will do 350 miles range, and it is getting better.
The new Mercedes Benz:

Old 06-07-2018, 08:55 AM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Firstly, you should not be driving 330 miles non-stop. You should take a break, as you will be danger to other road users and yourself. Driving 330 miles at an average of 70mph is near 5 hours without a break. You must have some bladder to go that long. But, you are saved as even Mercedes are introducing an EV at the end of the year that will do 350 miles range, and it is getting better.
The new Mercedes Benz:
What does "taking a break" have to do with anything. I didn't say, by the way, that it was non-stop, just that was the total mileage of the trip.

So, what you're suggesting is that I "need" to stop? So you're suggesting that stopping for 30 minutes to charge a battery every 100 miles is smart? Adding at least an hour to the trip. Not to mention that this trip goes through areas where they're lucky to have electric service let alone elitist charging stations.

Yes, you do live in a nation with short travel distances.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:06 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
Quote:
Read back on my posts about grid suitability. No problems in that area.
You don’t have any grid suitability. You just cherry picked some article and ran with it as it will apply in every situation.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Our resident Luddite comes back again......even after a good slaughtering. There is a two year wait on some EVs the demand is so great. The VW E-Golf is not taking any more orders.
Volkswagen Halts Golf GTE Order Due To Crazy High Demand
https://insideevs.com/volkswagen-hal...-crazy-demand/

The same with some Tesla models.
You make me larf.
You haven’t slaughtered anything bro. You obviously have never been here. You’re sitting by yourself in your apartment in some forgone island country hypothesizing that Americans are buying VE E-Golf’s hand over fist because you read some clickbait article on an greenie website.

Here’s Golf sales for last year in the US (we don’t have E-Golf at all).. Volkswagen Golf US car sales figures 68K

Here’s F-150 sales for last year in the US...Ford F-series US car sales figures

Does that give you any kind of hint what the US market wants or do you need another smack down?

Old 06-07-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Big Oil is gearing up to change markets - energy of any kind. That is obvious.
But their margin is in oil.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:29 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times
[quote=John-UK;52125117]The UK depends on the USA for survival? In your dreams. I just gave a youtube on an EV SUV. If you want ugly pickups then EVs can give you that. You will be driving an EV for sure.[/QUOTEe

EV cannot make a pickup truck that can do what a American pickup can do, I guess your pickup trucks over there are smaller compared to the American pickups. You can’t take a EV pickup 4 wheeling or tow a 5 th wheel trailer. You stay in your little island country and leave the pickup trucks to our Big3 automakers who know how to build a pickup that the American people want.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You haven’t slaughtered anything bro. You obviously have never been here.
Firstly, I have been all over the USA and worked for US companies. Secondly, you have been slaughtered on all your points, which is not difficult. I advise you to look at the first post and understand the video. I doubt you viewed the video.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:06 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,143,650 times
Quote:
The new Mercedes Benz:
I can easily drive 5 hours without a stop. Now if I have the wife and kid along, there is no way that would happen.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So, what you're suggesting is that I "need" to stop? So you're suggesting that stopping for 30 minutes to charge a battery every 100 miles is smart?

Yes, you do live in a nation with short travel distances.
A car with a 350 mile range will charge in about 17-18 minutes on a rapid charger. Read what I wrote, I never wrote stop every 100 miles at all. I am suggesting that driving 5 hours non-stop is foolish. BTW, if you drive from Lands End to John O Groats you will need an overnight stop. Average mileage in the USA is the same as Europe. Most people do not run off on 500 mile trips regularly, few do. Most trips are very short.

Travelling on a highway in an EV is no different than in a dirty fossil fuel car. Rapid chargers are everywhere in some countries, and will be everywhere in at least the western world and China, as the momentum picks up. You will be driving an EV at some time as the days of dirty cars are coming to an end.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
I can easily drive 5 hours without a stop. Now if I have the wife and kid along, there is no way that would happen.
A sensible wife. I would not dream of driving 5 hours non-stop. It is very dangerous to do so. But you can drive 5 hours in an EV, but please do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive