Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 09:19 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copymutt View Post
64 Corvair Monza convertible. Bought it w/ bad valve or two. Sold it w/ same. Sure wish I had it now. Oh well I'm happy w/ my 55 210.

Haha, I had exactly the same car at one time, in fact, I had 5 Corvairs……..1 to drive and 4 for parts.

We were at a VFW dinner one night, and the guy across the table said "I hear you like Corvairs, would you like to buy mine?" It was a 64 convertible, and he only wanted $25 for it. The reason he was selling it was because it had the typical Corvair oil leaking push rod tubes, and the oil was getting on the exhaust manifolds and filling the car with smoke. He had asthma and couldn't drive it any longer.

So, I bought it, rebuilt the engine in my basement, and drove the car for years, until one cold, snowy night when coming home with my kids, the fan belt broke (another Corvair problem) and I had to keep driving so we wouldn't be stuck on the road. When I got home, the engine was glowing a bright red and crackling from the heat. That was the end of my Corvairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 11:51 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,310,772 times
That would be my parents 1958 Plymouth Fury Commando.
If I had fins like that now, I could (dare I say it?) rule the world!

Old 07-28-2018, 03:28 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
I've had many cars I enjoyed....but this is a no brainer for me. My 1967 Camaro SS.....that's the one I would love to have back.

I drove it while in college and loved that car. It gave me 4+ years of reliable transportation, along with much excitement when I had opportunity to put the pedal down....lol.

I sold it to a guy who fully restored it to a thing of beauty....but then lost track of it. I think of it often :-)

Old 07-28-2018, 03:38 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
1965 Impala SS 2 DR.

I'd have gotten a 400 for it, done a nifty air intake and then had it as a show vehicle...But didn't have the $15K to do it...

God those trunks were massive, I could have stashed 4-5 200 lb bodies in it....

The very first car I bought when I turned 16 was a 1965 Impala SS 2 Door with a 396 engine. I spent many happy hours in the garage tinkering with that car. I paid 325 dollars for it, but it ran well, burned a little oil, but was in otherwise good shape.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:49 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
1972 Volkswagen Squareback. I liked everything about that car. It had disc brakes, fuel injection and was as reliable as today's Japanese cars. It was way ahead of it's time.
I had one of those.
It was the first car on the consumer market that had fuel injection.
But, unfortunately the fuel system used rubber hoses and clamps.
They had a habit of leaking and catching fire.

Mine burned to a crisp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive