Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 08:22 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times

Advertisements

Hell no. 2014 Ford Focus "automatic".

I put "automatic" in quotes because I found out too late that it's really a manual transmission shifted by a computer. Great gas mileage on the highway but terrible to drive in town with a computer trying to shift for me, and failing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 08:43 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
That same Subaru sales rep who told me this summer that I am an atypical buyer also told me that no one wants manual transmissions anymore,no one knows how to drive them, and that Subaru is only making one manual car for every 40 automatics coming off the line. He said I could still special order a 5-speed Forester, but that it was very unlikely any local Subaru dealership would have a manual transmission car in any model sitting on their lot to test drive.

One in 40!?!?!?!

What is this world coming to?

P.S. Both of my boys, now 23 and 20, learned to drive a stick and passed their driver's license tests driving my Subaru because we only have the one car. They are the only ones among their friends who can. Another life skill being lost to the ages.
35 years ago, I helped a friend move, and I was the only my one out of 8 helpers who could drive a stick, so I drove the moving van. It's been coming for a long time.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:37 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,661,223 times
Yes and no.

We bought a 14 Expedition Limited EL back in 2015. We still have it and still love it. If we ever wear it out we will buy another.

I bought a 12 Ram 2500 back in 16 that had apparently been abused by the previous owner. The engine was reliable but I had to rebuild most everything else. I just traded it on a 16 Ram 3500 that was meticulously maintained and there is a night and day difference. I would not have bought that particular 2012, but I would buy this 2016 again.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:54 PM

841 posts, read 552,824 times
Yes.

2016 Honda HRV. Great vehicle. Price was right. Gas mileage is good - 30mpg. Turning radius is great. Fits a lot of cargo. (We have a truck, so no need for towing ability.)

Only thing is that I have developed Reynaud's since then. Buying now, I would really have to consider going up to the highest trim that comes with the heated steering wheel. I live in Texas (so deal more with the heat) and had no desire for leather or navigation at the time, so it didn't even occur to me to look at the EX-L trim at the time.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:23 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
2014 Nissan Murano. If we win Lottery tonight first car purchased would be a new one.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:48 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,089 times
Bought a 03 frontier 4 banger in 04, bad ride, slow(once beaten by a friend in a prius off a red light, lol) for 10,000$'s with 3k miles on it. Well, it's been 14 years still drive it to work every day, the only thang that has ever broken on it is the master cylinder. Other than a wreck was a drunk ran into me w/no insurance(fixed w/certifit parts). The hail damage is pretty extensive but could get in it and drive coast to coast 20/30 times. They just don't make vehicles like this anymore. Not a vehicle you really appreciate till you realize what it has been thru and it still runs like a champ. Also, have a 03 Saturn w/60k on it, no wonder they went out of business, lol. Have a 08 Tundra with 70k on it, time will tell, but changing out the alternator and the timing belt maintenance has soured my enthusiasm for the truck. Course bought the truck new for 20k out the door. Have you seen what they want for a new truck? Anyway just thank new vehicles are way overpriced. Course, the thread asked about if you bought a new vehicle in the last few years and thou I've sorta hijacked the thread, my answer may just have to be none of the above when it comes to the crazy new prices on vehicles.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:44 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Yes or No?

If no, why and what would you buy?
Yes. 10 times over.

Full disclosure - I bought the car in May. So it's new to me. I never thought I'd be happy or comfortable in a sub-compact, but I am. I love the style, the features, the mileage, and the price.

It handles well and it's peppy and fun to drive.

I have a Toyota Yaris IA.

(I do not like the 2 door Yaris. Less expensive, but unattractive)

Old 10-17-2018, 08:30 PM

765 posts, read 473,263 times
nope. that ford fiesta was a death trap..... i lived right off of a major highway, so had to cross 4 lanes of traffic quickly, even if it looked like not one car was coming in either direction because the curves in the road blocked total view of what really coming up..... that darn ford fiesta TWICE died right in the middle of the road, and i was almost killed twice. scariest thing ever!!!! after the second time, i went right back to the car salesman. Now this is a supposedly reputable Ford Dealership, and I felt really comfortable with Al, he was from Brooklyn for goodness sakes, and we had that whole new-yawk-city kinship thang going on!!!! I had explained how i needed a VERY reliable car because I was an elderly woman all alone and it wasn't like if i was stranded ANYWHERE due to a breakdown I could call a family member and they'd come and get me and bring me home. And living down here in North Narrowlina, at my age, how hard was it to find people who already had their lifelong circle of friends to let me, the wild liberal northerner, into their friendship circles? So he knew what my dilemma was... and yet stoooopid me trusted this guy implicitly. After that second breakdown, the engine just cutting out and dying within a second? i went online to research that car and found out it was virtually notorious for this unheard of transmission called " power-shift dual clutch" in models from 2010 thru 2016.... i had bought a used 2015 Fiesta. When i confronted Al with all of this, he seemed so truly chagrined and vowed to make it right. I had to pay another $2,000 to upgrade to a 2016 Ford Focus but it was worth it to me. I think i drove that car around 2-3 months, and started having problems with THAT transmission too!!!!! Who knew that the Focus had THE EXACT SAME TRANSMISSION AS THAT DARN FIESTA? and: DO NOT TELL ME THE AL MY BUDDY SALESMAN DIDN'T KNOW THAT FACT. When i traded in that Focus deathtrap, I called AL from the Jeep dealership to let him know exactly what I thought of him and that dealership. SHEESH. I had bought many used cars my whole life, but had never been scammed like this. And honestly? Scamming seems to be a major way of life down here in the South where laws are lax or non-existent. just saying.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:20 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,667,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
nope. that ford fiesta was a death trap..... i lived right off of a major highway, so had to cross 4 lanes of traffic quickly, even if it looked like not one car was coming in either direction because the curves in the road blocked total view of what really coming up..... that darn ford fiesta TWICE died right in the middle of the road, and i was almost killed twice. scariest thing ever!!!! after the second time, i went right back to the car salesman. Now this is a supposedly reputable Ford Dealership, and I felt really comfortable with Al, he was from Brooklyn for goodness sakes, and we had that whole new-yawk-city kinship thang going on!!!! I had explained how i needed a VERY reliable car because I was an elderly woman all alone and it wasn't like if i was stranded ANYWHERE due to a breakdown I could call a family member and they'd come and get me and bring me home. And living down here in North Narrowlina, at my age, how hard was it to find people who already had their lifelong circle of friends to let me, the wild liberal northerner, into their friendship circles? So he knew what my dilemma was... and yet stoooopid me trusted this guy implicitly. After that second breakdown, the engine just cutting out and dying within a second? i went online to research that car and found out it was virtually notorious for this unheard of transmission called " power-shift dual clutch" in models from 2010 thru 2016.... i had bought a used 2015 Fiesta. When i confronted Al with all of this, he seemed so truly chagrined and vowed to make it right. I had to pay another $2,000 to upgrade to a 2016 Ford Focus but it was worth it to me. I think i drove that car around 2-3 months, and started having problems with THAT transmission too!!!!! Who knew that the Focus had THE EXACT SAME TRANSMISSION AS THAT DARN FIESTA? and: DO NOT TELL ME THE AL MY BUDDY SALESMAN DIDN'T KNOW THAT FACT. When i traded in that Focus deathtrap, I called AL from the Jeep dealership to let him know exactly what I thought of him and that dealership. SHEESH. I had bought many used cars my whole life, but had never been scammed like this. And honestly? Scamming seems to be a major way of life down here in the South where laws are lax or non-existent. just saying.
Sorry you are having this experience!
Please don't replace your Focus with a Nissan or Jeep product without thoroughly researching transmission issues by model or you could very well find yourself in this mess for a THIRD time...Seriously.

Scamming seems to be a major way of life pretty much everywhere these days, it's a very unfortunate reality.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:53 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,325 times
We have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler, and in a heartbeat we would buy it again, lol. Sounds so lame, but that thing is built like a tank, we love how it looks and it's awesome to drive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive