Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 11:44 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,005,221 times

Advertisements

I still have my 1985 AMC Jeep CJ8 Scrambler, with a full hardtop and all-around tube bumpers, I bought new.

People think it's a new custom Wrangler Unlimited. When I tell them what it really is and how old, they can't believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 11:44 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Years ago I worked at the Volvo Plant in Virginia. We had thousands of cars on the yard shipped in from other countries for us to service before they went to the dealers. We has loads of the damaged cars. We had some skilled guys in the body shop. They took a Volvo station wagon that was damaged on the rear and cut off the top back half, fabbed up the sides and made a bed and tailgate. They drove it to the Volvo dealership down the road, and all the salesmen came running out, thinking it was a new Volvo pickup. It did look good. One of the swedes got to take it home.
This new Jeep pickup is for the Jeep fans a mini pickup is useless in the USA they had their chance and didn't make it. They can't sell enough of them to justify making for the American market. And the way Toyota and other foreign automakers avoided the chicken tax was to ship the bed off the mini pickup and put it on in this country. And still they did not sell that well here you learn allot about the auto industry living in Michigan and growing up with people working in the auto industry.

Foreign automakers found ingenious ways to circumvent the tax. First "Japanese manufacturers found they could export 'cab-chassis' configurations (which included the entire light truck, minus the cargo box or truck bed) with only a 4% tariff." So they sold cab-chassis to the U.S. and had a truck bed added in America with the finished vehicle sold as a light truck.

Last edited by easy62; 11-29-2018 at 11:53 AM..

Old 11-29-2018, 11:54 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
It’s a liscense to print money. It does everything a Jeep does as well as perform like a compact pickup with commendable towing.

Best part is 99% identical in parts to the already popular Wrangler. The only difference is the bed. You can even see where the production Wrangler stops and the bed is just bolted on on the back. Pretty much uses all the same tooling and sunk development cost from the JL Wrangler. They can charge whatever they want, get in on a missing segment of the growing truck market, and not be committed to selling a specific threshold as most of the required parts are interchangeable with the Wrangler. The existing Wrangler aftermarket is already avaialable. Pure genious.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:54 AM

342 posts, read 318,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Sorry, I'm going to keep holding out for the BMW pickup.
Hopefully BMW is not dumb enough to do that. Mercedes is offering a Nissan badged as a Mercedes as a pickup.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:55 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
The Jeep Wrangler is the goose that lays the golden egg for FCA. The profit margin on Wranglers are enormous and they already cannot make enough of them. Further proof of the demand and popularity for them is in it's industry leading resale values. This truck will be no different and will in fact expand the customer base to those who always wanted a Wrangler, but want more towing or hauling capacity than the SUV has typically offered.

I am sure executives cannot wait to let the money start pouring in on this new variant!

Old 11-29-2018, 01:55 PM

370 posts, read 447,190 times
Jeep Gladiator is on my Christmas 2020 wishlist now!

The increased payload capabilities in a Rubicon platform would help my forest restoration work here in Louisiana!

Old 11-29-2018, 02:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Wait until Jeep fans begin to see them on the street. It's a great option for those folks that really don't need a big truck but like the look of a truck & a Jeep.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:11 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
I'm with everyone who is irritated at the way they are pushing 4 door models. Move the rear cab wall forward and put the extra space in the bed.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:27 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,767,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I'm with everyone who is irritated at the way they are pushing 4 door models. Move the rear cab wall forward and put the extra space in the bed.
But where on earth will you put Brandon and Alicia and all the groceries?

Old 11-29-2018, 05:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
But where on earth will you put Brandon and Alicia and all the groceries?
Join the modern world. Jeeps are not just for off-roading weekend warriors. Adults with families like to drive Jeeps. Having four doors makes great business sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive