Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 01:18 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
The superchargers are typically only used for long distance travel. I “fill up” by connecting my car to an outlet in my garage and I just plug it in and let it charge overnight, so zero waiting....guess I have you beat there

And as I’ve stated, I own both EV and a regular car. I’m not interested in fanboy wars. Each has it’s pros and cons. Based on what I’ve read on here 90% of the concerns raised about EVs and Teslas in particular are unfounded. Overall they are really good cars.
Tesla’s have their market and they do a good job of catering to their niche. The problem is people oversell their capabilities. It’s just as bad a biker claiming a motorcycle can do anything a car can but better. Sure, it can be done and some people can live with it, but it’s the answer everybody will be willing to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 01:44 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
The superchargers are typically only used for long distance travel. I “fill up” by connecting my car to an outlet in my garage and I just plug it in and let it charge overnight, so zero waiting....guess I have you beat there

And as I’ve stated, I own both EV and a regular car. I’m not interested in fanboy wars. Each has it’s pros and cons. Based on what I’ve read on here 90% of the concerns raised about EVs and Teslas in particular are unfounded. Overall they are really good cars.

To sort of get back on topic - what is your real world experience with the EV in Minneapolis winter? I know any battery loses power when it's cold. How much of an issue is that for you? Thanks.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
The whole point of this post originally was that they were testing more civic type EVs that are primarily commuters and seeing if could support Long Distance Travel and what I was getting to was they excluded the EV that was designed and supported for Long trips that was similar cost but more capable.

The other point was The Rolls is the same size, doesn't make it the same car and show me a civic that can do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. Most car mags compare the Model 3 to BMW 3 and Audi 4 types which it normally comes out on top, the civic is different type of car just as a Rolls is.

You guys are arguing about oil changes using false info, not me, I was just pointing out that the cost is higher than was stated and that mine has more miles with no maintenance. It is not just oil changes, it is all the other costs of regular maintaining an ICE vehicle that are higher. It may be negligible but it still exists.
My point earlier in this thread is that long distance BEV’s are unnecessary. Just buy a PHEV and you have an EV for commutes and an ICE for long trips. No need to worry about building out a global charging infrastructure that can compete with ICE’s. The BEV is already outdated technology. Why lug around an expensive heavy slab of a battery pack and leash yourself to a route with the correct charging infrastructure? Just to cure range anxiety?

Tesla owners tend to oversell their cars. Sure charging every night is convenient, but you also have to have a dedicated charging spot. Long distance travel is doable, but you can’t pull over and charge anytime you feel like it. The maintenance cost is theoretically less, but the insurance and tends to run theoretically more (there are far more vehicles with lower total ownership cost). Servicing can be a hassle as they have far fewer service centers and long wait times than any other dealership (the closest one to me is 4 hours away). They should be theoretically more reliable, but statistics show they’re not reliable at all. The Tesla that everybody touts as long lived at 400k miles, has essentially been rebuilt at least twice. Tesla claims batteries suffer negligible degradation, yet apparently you can lose 30 percent of range (or all of your range depending on the model) before they replace the battery (add another 40-50% for cold weather and you’re stuck with 20-30% of your original range). Then of course you have a stressed charging network at peak travel days with all the Model 3’s hitting the road. https://www.google.com/amp/s/electre...y-travels/amp/

If you want a sports sedan, then maybe it’s a fine competitor with the A4 and 3 Series (if you don’t mind the lack of exhaust note). I dunno, but A4 and BMW owners don’t drone on about how it’s changed their life and how everybody should buy one.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:54 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
I know I'm skipping over a bunch of juicy dialogue that just occurred...but one of the quoted posts stood out to me.

Penalizing people $1/min after their vehicle is fully charged? This is just another anxiety-inducing thing to raise our blood pressure, where one more function of your daily life is on a timer. Screw the stupid charger. Half an hour late getting out of a movie, finishing a shopping trip, or leaving the office? You just ate up any cost savings of your vehicle vs. filling up a tank of gas. This is unapologetic revenue capture. We used to call it highway robbery.

I will stick with my gas pumps as long as they are around. They don't penalize me for running inside after my pump shuts off and grabbing a drink or using the restroom.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:02 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I know I'm skipping over a bunch of juicy dialogue that just occurred...but one of the quoted posts stood out to me.

Penalizing people $1/min after their vehicle is fully charged? This is just another anxiety-inducing thing to raise our blood pressure, where one more function of your daily life is on a timer. Screw the stupid charger. Half an hour late getting out of a movie, finishing a shopping trip, or leaving the office? You just ate up any cost savings of your vehicle vs. filling up a tank of gas. This is unapologetic revenue capture. We used to call it highway robbery.

I will stick with my gas pumps as long as they are around. They don't penalize me for running inside after my pump shuts off and grabbing a drink or using the restroom.

This may just be because the Tesla specific chargers are not all that common, so they want to incentivize you to do your quick charge, then get off the charger so the next guy can use it.

That said, it would make me think twice about using that "super-charger". Although, there is probably a phone app available where you can monitor the state of the recharge, so you can head over to your car to move it once it has only a few minutes left before being "full".

Old 05-22-2019, 02:19 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
To sort of get back on topic - what is your real world experience with the EV in Minneapolis winter? I know any battery loses power when it's cold. How much of an issue is that for you? Thanks.
The car automatically adjusts it’s battery level to compensate for the cold depending on the temperature. When it gets really cold range will be slightly reduced. Since my car has a 310 mile range this never impacted us. At most I may have on average charged it once every three days as opposed to once every four days during the winter months. At one point it was below zero outside and we drove the car from Minneapolis to St. Cloud and back (70 miles each way) without charging. This included driving around town once we got there. This was done without a problem and without any range anxiety.

So all in all the Tesla Model 3 is perfectly functional in Minnesota in the winter.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
The car automatically adjusts it’s battery level to compensate for the cold depending on the temperature. When it gets really cold range will be slightly reduced. Since my car has a 310 mile range this never impacted us. At most I may have on average charged it once every three days as opposed to once every four days during the winter months. At one point it was below zero outside and we drove the car from Minneapolis to St. Cloud and back (70 miles each way) without charging. This included driving around town once we got there. This was done without a problem and without any range anxiety.

So all in all the Tesla Model 3 is perfectly functional in Minnesota in the winter.
I think what he’s asking for is more specific. If you’re car theoretically has a 310 mile range, how far can you go if it’s 0 degrees outside? 170? Doesn’t it tell you?

Old 05-22-2019, 03:34 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I think what he’s asking for is more specific. If you’re car theoretically has a 310 mile range, how far can you go if it’s 0 degrees outside? 170? Doesn’t it tell you?
You can set it to show theoretical range but I opt for it to show battery % instead. There are too many factors that affect range, same as MPG fluctuation in gas powered cars so I find battery level to be a more useful data point.

The cold weather adjustment to the battery range was small, probably in the 5-10% range. It’s something to account for but not a big deal.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
You can set it to show theoretical range but I opt for it to show battery % instead. There are too many factors that affect range, same as MPG fluctuation in gas powered cars so I find battery level to be a more useful data point.

The cold weather adjustment to the battery range was small, probably in the 5-10% range. It’s something to account for but not a big deal.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:57 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

And this circles back to my original point... that there just aren't enough superchargers. What was happening when they didn't charge that fee is people would go eat and take their sweet time and come back to a fully charged car with other Tesla owners impatiently waiting to charge.

Just another bit of convenience that EV owners sacrifice and then refuse to admit that it is a sacrifice at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive