Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 12:34 PM

5,675 posts, read 5,890,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yep, thats why its teens who are doing this!

Who would have ever thought in 2019, it would be cool to look like a steam train from the 1800s?!! LoL
Oh no. It isnt just teens doing it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 06:28 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,900,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Oh no. It isnt just teens doing it!
True. At least around here it seems to be a mix of all ages doing it and it's very common to see these big diesel trucks roll coal, especially once you get out of the city and into the more rural exurbs. I saw one the other day that had a bicyclist pull in front of him then after the light changed, the truck went around the bicyclist and there were masses of greyish-black smoke. I am guessing that the driver of the pickup truck was sending a message to the bicyclist with this display.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:39 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
It's a childish prank, no matter the age of the diesel driver. My wife suffered the rolled coal a couple times a few years ago, before it became illegal in Wyoming. I don't know why she would and I wouldn't, since I drive a Prius, but that's how it worked out.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:43 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,873,424 times
'Murica!
Home of the ice cream licker movement.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:24 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
It's a childish prank, no matter the age of the diesel driver. My wife suffered the rolled coal a couple times a few years ago, before it became illegal in Wyoming. I don't know why she would and I wouldn't, since I drive a Prius, but that's how it worked out.
They seem to dislike the Prius!, although Im not sure why, their big diesel pickup trucks actually get pretty decent MPG.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:30 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Ignorant and belligerent scarlet-necks, bullying people who don't buy the same vehicle they do... it doesn't even make any sense, except in their dysfunctional "brains".

Old 09-27-2019, 06:12 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,920,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I wish police would ticket them …..
and impound the vehicle …..
but law enforcement leans heavily to the right.
I think rolling coal is dumb, BUT...

Old 09-27-2019, 10:32 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,472,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Been around for a long time. Most people I see that get "rolled on" probably deserved it.
They deserved it? What exactly do you think they did that would make someone want to blow clouds of thick, black smoke at them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Yes, because the people who do this, even if they're in their 30s or 40s, are just overgrown boys who never really grew up. Their oversized and often lifted crew cab pickup trucks are just taking the place of the Tonka trucks that they used to play with as kids. I even saw one pickup locally that had the license plate "Tonka" on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Ignorant and belligerent scarlet-necks, bullying people who don't buy the same vehicle they do... it doesn't even make any sense, except in their dysfunctional "brains".
If they had any brains to begin with, they wouldn't be spending $40-50K+ on a pickup truck! Years ago people bought pickups because they were inexpensive means of transportation. Now they've become some sort of blue-collar status symbol. All these rednecks rush out to buy one because they're afraid that if they don't, or heaven forbid they bought a car instead of a truck, that they wouldn't fit in and wouldn't be accepted by the other "men" in their community. Today's pickup trucks are some of the most overpriced vehicles you can buy, giving the manufacturers profit margins larger than on anything else they sell (other than large SUVs). If the people who bought these trucks had any brains, they'd be taking their money and investing it, rather than wasting money on something that depreciates the moment you drive it off the dealer's lot and continues to lose value as long as you own it.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:00 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
They deserved it? What exactly do you think they did that would make someone want to blow clouds of thick, black smoke at them?

Yes, because the people who do this, even if they're in their 30s or 40s, are just overgrown boys who never really grew up. Their oversized and often lifted crew cab pickup trucks are just taking the place of the Tonka trucks that they used to play with as kids. I even saw one pickup locally that had the license plate "Tonka" on it!

If they had any brains to begin with, they wouldn't be spending $40-50K+ on a pickup truck! Years ago people bought pickups because they were inexpensive means of transportation. Now they've become some sort of blue-collar status symbol. All these rednecks rush out to buy one because they're afraid that if they don't, or heaven forbid they bought a car instead of a truck, that they wouldn't fit in and wouldn't be accepted by the other "men" in their community. Today's pickup trucks are some of the most overpriced vehicles you can buy, giving the manufacturers profit margins larger than on anything else they sell (other than large SUVs). If the people who bought these trucks had any brains, they'd be taking their money and investing it, rather than wasting money on something that depreciates the moment you drive it off the dealer's lot and continues to lose value as long as you own it.
You do make some points. Valid points. However, I do not completely agree.

So, little ol' me, I have an older diesel pickup that still gets it done. You're saying I don't need one and I do not have any money saved up.

Brand new my ride would have been a $45,000 to $50,000 machine. I didn't pay anything close to that. This diesel driver has been paying in to a retirement account, supplemental retirement account, puts money in to savings and other investments is losing value? On the pickup, maybe. Diesels hold their value better than their gas counterparts. These diesels also cost what a tricked out Mustang, Camaro or other sports car runs.

It is as noticeable now, when the Prius first came out it seemed the drivers were smug driving one around. That attitude may have changed or I am not noticing it as much. I have equated being passed by a Prius to being tackled by the placekicker. I am running down the interstate at 75 or 80 MPH and here comes a Prius on the left side breezing on past me. Any more the irony makes me giggle.

My ride is comfortable to run down the road. The 4x4 will take me places that are way off the beaten path. It has some snort that will get me moving down the road in short order.

My other ride? A cute little Jeep that is four years old. I guess I am not as redneck as I used to be.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:26 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
It's basically a middle finger to the movement towards greener vehicles, and culture in general. As others have said it is very childish. I totally understand some people need large trucks but new large trucks are as 'green' as they've ever been. Modifying it so it pollutes as much as possible is dumb and bad for the health and visibility of everyone behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive