Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 10:51 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Agree. I am surprised the anti american car sentiment is still alive and well in the enthusiast forum. That's left over from the effing 80's! American cars today are as reliable, as well built as anything the Asians are putting out. In many cases better as many Asian makes are slipping.

On topic, I always hated Buick. I still think their SUV's are one of the ugliest around across the range. Especially the Encore. They look like the pugs of the auto world. I can't believe anyone buys them.
The Enclave being the only one that looks like an adults car.

But that TourX. Everyone talks about how everyone is buying SUV's now. Y'know why I bought an SUV? Because no one made a wagon that was less then $50K. I love the utility of a wagon. Fast as cars with the utility of an SUV. Love love love. and the TourX is AWD. I remember the first time I saw a TourX. Felt like I was IN a Buick commercial.
Cruising down I-90, this wagon blows past me. I was like wtf was that?!? Speed up to go catch it.... catching it...catching it...wh-at? That's a .... BUICK!?! No way! OMG! WANT!
Actually went and looked at one shortly after that. I was on a Buick lot for almost 30 minutes checking out this black one... couldn't find a sales guy? Guess I'm just not old enough to be considered a serious buyer....
I don't have a hatred for American cars, I have a hatred of American car company management. Great cars were produced by in the 60s and starting with the 70s Detroit began cost cutting and no longer innovating until they had a gut check in the 90s. Americans blindly stayed loyal with Detroit until the early 90s.

The main reason Buick is succeeding in China because of the domestic partnership with China government owned auto SAIC. Which gave them access to government fleet vehicle exclusivity. However Buick and SAIC made several joint vehicles that are better than GM American made cars. GM wants to start importing many of the Chinese designed Buicks here and they haven't done well here because Americans primarily buy trucks and SUVs these days and Chinese buys cars, wagons, and minivans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 11:12 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,628,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anglosphere Miracle View Post
American cars are more reliable than german cars.
BMW, Mercedes, VW, yes. Porsche, no. Audi is recently better.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:17 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
I pity people who drive an American car.
Interesting. I tend to pity people who feel that they need to make irrational, condescending comments about other people's buying choices to mask the insecurity they feel about their own.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:22 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,985,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anglosphere Miracle View Post
American cars are more reliable than german cars.
"The Buick Regal is based on the European Opel Insignia, and is built in Germany. With GM selling the Opel brand to Peugeot Group in 2017, it’s been relying on an agreement between the companies to keep the Regal in production."

The Buicks ain't American anymore.

Who buys a Buick made in China or made in Korea?

Old 12-06-2019, 11:30 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
"The Buick Regal is based on the European Opel Insignia, and is built in Germany. With GM selling the Opel brand to Peugeot Group in 2017, it’s been relying on an agreement between the companies to keep the Regal in production."

The Lambda vehicles are built at GM's new Delta Township Assembly plant near Lansing, Michigan, and production of the Enclave commenced on April 11, 2007, with the first vehicles reaching certain dealers by the end of the month. The Enclave debuted with a starting price of $32,790.
Predecessor: Buick Rendezvous, Buick Rainier
Make: Buick, General Motors
Automotive class: Crossover

Old 12-06-2019, 11:34 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
It's a shame to see this happen. GM put a lot of money into cars like the Cascadia only to discontinue them a few years later.
The simple fact is that GM's cost too much and they lost people like me 20 years ago with a subpar product. My Father drove Cadillacs for 30 years before he smartened up and went to a Lexus. Never an issue. I drove Cadillacs and Lincolns for almost 15 years. They always had a problem. I went German and Japanese back in 2001 and never looked back. I pity people who drive an American car.
The Cascadia had been sold in the European market for years before it came to the US so most of its development costs were already paid for. And this move has nothing to do with cost or reliability and everything to do with the fact that a) Buick lost its entire non-SUV/CUV product pipeline when GM sold off Opel, and b) the entire market is moving in this direction anyway so there's no point trying to replace the vehicles they've lost to Opel's selloff.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:55 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,103,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
With GM selling Opel/Vauxhall to Groupe PSA, there would be no replacement available for the Opel-derived GM passenger vehicles, like the Regal and TourX. Since that type of vehicle is not selling well under a Buick nameplate, there's no need to replace them for the North American market, especially as Volvo and Subaru tend to be top choices in the wagon segment.
One, the Subaru Outback is a CUV, not a wagon. Period.

Two, if we're talking affordable wagons then, until recently, Volkswagen would have the top choice IMHO.

Third, I understand and agree with your general point.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:17 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,204,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Through September of this year:

25K bought Envisions made in China

74K bought Encores made in South Korea.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:24 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,685 times
Unfortunately "grandpa's" Oldsmobile was one of GMs better cars compared to modern GMs. Loved the old Olds Rocket V8, super durable design. As to Buicks, I had a 71 Buick LeSabre. Big ole boat, comfortable as all get out for interstate cruising. Got 22mpg highway, 13mpg city. (do modern cars weighing this much really get better?) I didnt like the Buick V8 as well as the Olds V8 from that era despite better gas mileage. Now the earlier nailhead Buick V8 from 50s and early 60s was truly a great engine. Not a hotrod engine, but it lasted forever if treated well. Very torquey. Popular engine to transplant into pickups.

Alas realizing I am now "grandpa" age group though never had kids. So yea remember how things used to be differently than younger generations. Wouldnt even consider modern GM "designed for China" cars.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:26 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,749,752 times
They made a huge mistake with the TourX. If they had lifted it another 1.5+ inches they would have had a market. Another missed opportunity...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive