Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 05:45 AM

7,495 posts, read 7,179,877 times

Advertisements

Really like the new 2021 Ford F150.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 01:50 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Really like the new 2021 Ford F150.
I really like it too! Made me consider getting one, lol

Old 07-14-2020, 02:06 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Kind of an update - we bought my Mrs. a new Camry this past weekend as well. Multiple dealers/quotes and none of them were willing to move much. We did OK, got a bit more off than I think we would have in "normal" times, even with normal inventory, but not nearly as good as with my Jeep (but I expected that too, given the brand). A number of the Toyota dealers around here are short on inventory compared to normal, especially if you want something other than the base model with no options, which wasn't going to work for us.

I think one of two things are going to happen. Either there's going to be a case where production outpaces demand, or the car dealers are going to get smart this time around and keep production lower to make sure they're selling every car they make without having to leave too much money on the hood.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:39 PM

2,450 posts, read 973,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
My Lexus lease is up in 2 months and my plan is to buy it out as my residual is about 4K under market value. I can get 2.75% at my local credit union, but now with 0% deals out there, I may shop around online to see what kind of deals there are to be had.
My Mazda's lease is up in two months. I already extended it just to be on the safe side. I want to see if the residual falls. My SIL just leased a Dodge Durango today. She feels like she got a pretty good deal, so more power to her. She said the dealership was empty.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:24 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
It’s going to get worse because GM is shutting down their 3 rd shift at the plant that makes the Colorado and canyon pickups because of COVID.

https://fox2now.com/news/layoffs-at-...-affects-1200/

Old 07-15-2020, 06:30 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Sorry to hear.

Entire situation is so unfortunate with millions and millions of people unemployed; the worst since the Great Depression.
Thanks. Thankfully the mortgage company has let us slide but my hub did pay up until June and this month so I have to contact the bank again today, hoping to get thru. The last few days there have been long wait times. I'm going to see if I can do it online once my grand daughter gets off to day care.

He took a temporary job with Sam's club which he enjoys but I believe he's lost the unemployment due to it. He's 63 and not the type to sit around.

He makes sure he goes to the truck to start it, hoping to be called back to work soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Kind of an update - we bought my Mrs. a new Camry this past weekend as well. Multiple dealers/quotes and none of them were willing to move much. We did OK, got a bit more off than I think we would have in "normal" times, even with normal inventory, but not nearly as good as with my Jeep (but I expected that too, given the brand). A number of the Toyota dealers around here are short on inventory compared to normal, especially if you want something other than the base model with no options, which wasn't going to work for us.

I think one of two things are going to happen. Either there's going to be a case where production outpaces demand, or the car dealers are going to get smart this time around and keep production lower to make sure they're selling every car they make without having to leave too much money on the hood.
The dealers commit to selling a certain amount of cars from what I understand.

Some cars haven't been produced for months, so there will at some point be shortages. Then when they start shipping again, hopefully it will even out unless some of those cars are already sold.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks. Thankfully the mortgage company has let us slide but my hub did pay up until June and this month so I have to contact the bank again today, hoping to get thru. The last few days there have been long wait times. I'm going to see if I can do it online once my grand daughter gets off to day care.

He took a temporary job with Sam's club which he enjoys but I believe he's lost the unemployment due to it. He's 63 and not the type to sit around.

He makes sure he goes to the truck to start it, hoping to be called back to work soon.

The dealers commit to selling a certain amount of cars from what I understand.

Some cars haven't been produced for months, so there will at some point be shortages. Then when they start shipping again, hopefully it will even out unless some of those cars are already sold.
They can’t sell what they dont have regardless if they received payment. We were gonna buy a car this year but now we’re gonna hold off. Wife’s car still runs fine so changing it doesn’t make sense now.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:27 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
They can’t sell what they dont have regardless if they received payment. We were gonna buy a car this year but now we’re gonna hold off. Wife’s car still runs fine so changing it doesn’t make sense now.
Depends on where the car is. If it hasn't been produced yet, yeah, you definitely can't sell it, unless the dealer has a waiting list for a certain car and it's first come first serve. I wouldn't think there are a whole lot of models worth that though.

The Jeep I just "bought" is in transit from the plant. I've already put a deposit on it and it's been marked as sold. So it's not on the dealer lot yet, but the dealer has already sold the vehicle. Depending on the person and the car model, that's what I would expect to happen in the coming months for people that really want cars - they'll buy them before they even hit the lot and just pick it up when the carrier delivers it. The average person who actually goes to a dealer to kick the tires will never have a chance at it.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:22 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Depends on where the car is. If it hasn't been produced yet, yeah, you definitely can't sell it, unless the dealer has a waiting list for a certain car and it's first come first serve. I wouldn't think there are a whole lot of models worth that though.

The Jeep I just "bought" is in transit from the plant. I've already put a deposit on it and it's been marked as sold. So it's not on the dealer lot yet, but the dealer has already sold the vehicle. Depending on the person and the car model, that's what I would expect to happen in the coming months for people that really want cars - they'll buy them before they even hit the lot and just pick it up when the carrier delivers it. The average person who actually goes to a dealer to kick the tires will never have a chance at it.
As I will tease the salespeople I train "a car is not "sold" until it's paid for. I teach them to use 2 phrases: Hold and Sold. We put trucks on hold for customers and then when we actually get the money it's sold, and at that time we remove the web postings on that particular vehicle, etc.

Truthfully, though, once the car is "gate released" from the plant and handed to the transporter the MCO is generated and sent to the dealer. In most states, once the dealer has the MCO a car can be sold/titled no matter where the car physically is. (Registration is a different animal. Depending on the state sometimes physical inspections have do be done before you can register the vehicle, but you can normally title the vehicle with only the MCO.)

Old 07-16-2020, 08:54 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:

You bought something they had and was on the way. They may not physically have it in the lot but it’s on a train or storage lot or it’s a dealer swap etc it’s just coming to you.

I’m talking when I say don't have it as in we don’t have that model with those options can’t get it it’s not being made and no dealer wants to dealer exchange it. I think dealers now want to hold their inventory so they can make a sale and get top,dollar. Manufacturers might/are going to have a hard time getting the needed parts in some cases which may partially or fully stop production.

As time goes on and the replenishing of the vehicle stock becomes harder you’re gonna have to buy a car that may not have all the options you want, settle for a lower optioned or different brand altogether Or go to the used market for a slightly used model.

I’m simply holding off because I don’t need a car at this time, so there is absolutely no reason for me to spend money in getting one. And as dealers aren’t making deals now why would I pay top dollar if I don’t need to do it as a purchase isn’t paramount for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive