Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2020, 07:04 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,854,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Isn't the same issue affecting another model besides just the Camry?

Yes, the new RAV 4 (2019+) is having the same issue and actually seems like the owners are more vocal about it. It might have to do with the RAV sitting higher and being a noisier car that makes it more noticeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 05:33 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Yes, the new RAV 4 (2019+) is having the same issue and actually seems like the owners are more vocal about it. It might have to do with the RAV sitting higher and being a noisier car that makes it more noticeable.
In case you've not noticed, the hottest new vehicle in the retail market is the Toyota RAV-4 Hybrid. The ratings for the vehicle are through the roof, and so is the miles per gallon.

I have a 2 year old Camry Hybrid with the newest generation drive system and lithium battery. I'm at 55K miles, and it's never seen the shop. And the car has a 100,000 mile warranty and lifetime warranty from the dealer for the original owner.

I'm getting 46 real mpg either in town or on the open highway. The vehicle is stone silent in city traffic running on the battery and it's just so smooth otherwise.

The RAV-4 Hybrid has the same drive system as the Camry, and it should also be completely bulletproof. But what's so nice about it is that with the AWD, the hybrid engine is just an $850 option.

I worked for a major auto manufacturer for 24 years and have had over 100 new cars of all kinds. We're just as happy with a hybrid as we can be. And now that I'm retired and pay for my own cars, it's plenty nice enough.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:43 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
In case you've not noticed, the hottest new vehicle in the retail market is the Toyota RAV-4 Hybrid.
Up here in hill and mountain snow salt country - One can tell the difference between the RAV4 - made in Japan and the ones made in North America.

It is the wheels/rims. The Japanese ones don't rust/corrode (as much). The North American made RAV4 - the wheels/rims will rust/corrode more quickly.

To verify. I ask owners here if I can view the plate inside the drivers door.

Maybe all is a coincidence. Not sure if the rims in the North American ones come from Japan or are manufactured in North America.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:55 AM

7,489 posts, read 7,160,377 times
Is Toyota suppose to fix this issue on the 2021 model?

This thread has a lot of feedback on the RAV4:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/toyo...s-another.html

Quote:

Old 04-14-2020, 06:12 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,494,472 times
What's the consensus that this wakes up dealers and causes a shift in how cars are bought. The age of online car sales has been growing with places like Carvana. I realize there is a whole union behind dealership networks but nothing I hate more than dealing with salesmen. The plan at current is to pickup a new car before EOY once this pandemic thing blows over. 0% will be widely available I feel and you will be able to get seriously good deals on stale inventory that hasn't been turned around. Product needs to move and having cars sitting on lots for extended periods like this tend to sell for better prices, same with new inventory for a period of time as they work to cycle sales and get some traction.

Old 04-14-2020, 03:30 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
What's the consensus that this wakes up dealers and causes a shift in how cars are bought. The age of online car sales has been growing with places like Carvana. I realize there is a whole union behind dealership networks but nothing I hate more than dealing with salesmen. The plan at current is to pickup a new car before EOY once this pandemic thing blows over. 0% will be widely available I feel and you will be able to get seriously good deals on stale inventory that hasn't been turned around. Product needs to move and having cars sitting on lots for extended periods like this tend to sell for better prices, same with new inventory for a period of time as they work to cycle sales and get some traction.
The problem is there's a disconnect between the experience customers say they want and their actual buying behavior. They claim to want an easy"no-haggle" experience but when a dealer offers just that, buyers either suspect they're getting ripped off and attempt to haggle anyway, or they simply take the "no-haggle" price to other dealers and offer them a chance to undercut it. There's a niche for people who genuinely just want to walk in, buy a car, and walk out, and places like Carmax are there to fill that niche. They also fill the role as foil for more conventional dealerships who point to Carmax prices and say "we can do way better than that."

Old 04-14-2020, 08:44 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,421,491 times
Because haggleing has been established so long in car buying a no haggle place you automatically figure it's not the lowest price.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:14 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times
I do not believe the "dealers are desperate" hype at all, not here in Seattleland.

I'm in the market for a car (Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk so a Chrysler product not exactly a luxury brand) and sales people act like they do not care to make a sale....they play fat and happy, this is the price or have a nice day.

I'm offering 12% off MSRP (I always been able to buy my cars at similar discounts or even better) and no deal to be had...and we are talking about cars in stock so they are paying showroom financing on them every day.

I even offered the same money to a dealer in Texas (it would make a beautiful road trip coming back through the Rockies) where the supposed oil patch carnage is unfolding...my phone is not ringing.

So I do not believe for a moment they are desperate.....probably many dealers are betting on a quick recovery before offering deals...I do not feel sorry for them, not yet.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:28 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I do not believe the "dealers are desperate" hype at all, not here in Seattleland.

I'm in the market for a car (Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk so a Chrysler product not exactly a luxury brand) and sales people act like they do not care to make a sale....they play fat and happy, this is the price or have a nice day.

I'm offering 12% off MSRP (I always been able to buy my cars at similar discounts or even better) and no deal to be had...and we are talking about cars in stock so they are paying showroom financing on them every day.

I even offered the same money to a dealer in Texas (it would make a beautiful road trip coming back through the Rockies) where the supposed oil patch carnage is unfolding...my phone is not ringing.

So I do not believe for a moment they are desperate.....probably many dealers are betting on a quick recovery before offering deals...I do not feel sorry for them, not yet.
Maybe there is not a 12% markup on that vehicle. But I doubt that. More likely there is a limited supply to each dealer, the vehicle is a hot-selling vehicle (after all, it is sold on the basis of it being a factory hot rod).

Hey, just looked it up. 707-hp supercharged Hellcat V-8!!!!

Yeah, good luck getting any discount on that. I would walk you to the door also.

Personally, I also see this as a toy. If you want to play with the toy, you got to pay.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:40 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Maybe there is not a 12% markup on that vehicle. But I doubt that. More likely there is a limited supply to each dealer, the vehicle is a hot-selling vehicle (after all, it is sold on the basis of it being a factory hot rod).

Hey, just looked it up. 707-hp supercharged Hellcat V-8!!!!

Yeah, good luck getting any discount on that. I would walk you to the door also.

Personally, I also see this as a toy. If you want to play with the toy, you got to pay.

I bought all of my cars with similar discounts and often more than that....last year I got my Cadillac CTS-V (a similar supercharged 6.2 V8) for 88K with a sticker of 104K and a second sticker (bunch of dealer add-on BS) of 115K.

Toy or not, if you have really bad time, you sell what you can and 12% is not that deep of a discount.

So to me they are not suffering, at least not in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive