Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2021, 08:20 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,360,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Even in the old days, transmission indicators were not always perfect. I had a 1978 Chevrolet Malibu where putting it in drive had the column indicator between D and N. When the indicator was on D, it was actually in 2nd gear. ....
Well, the point was that the indicator was not important. I learned to drive in cars with automatic tran and column shifters and I don't know that I ever looked at the indicator more than a couple times in all the years I drove/have driven such cars. In the automatic trans cars I've had with console shifters, I doubt I've looked at the indicator more than a dozen times in 42 years since I got the first car with that configuration. And no one looks at the shift pattern on top of a standard trans knob more than a couple times to figure out where reverse is - heck, you can't! Your hand's covering it!

Proper ergonomic design - and there have been many books written on this - would dictate that gear shifting be accessible by feel alone, with no need to make a visual confirmation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 09:45 AM

6,490 posts, read 3,180,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
That's bad design.

The old straight line shift patterns for automatics, whether column or console, allow you to do all common shifting functions without looking at anything, purely by the location and strength of the detents. That's good ergonomic design. Bad ergonomic design is where tactile feedback does not give you any idea where the control is located. Not so important to a radio volume control; can result in property damage, personal injury or death in the case of a transmission shifter.

The principles of human factors engineering have largely been lost over the last 20 years or so of automotive design. The basic principle of automotive driver controls from sometime in the 1930s through the 1990s was that the driver should be able to keep his eyes on the road and surroundings at all times and access all controls without having to look or search. That basic, safety-driven principle has been thrown out the window with the plethora of touchscreens and other matters like the anti-ergonomic shift controls being discussed here.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Even in the old days, transmission indicators were not always perfect. I had a 1978 Chevrolet Malibu where putting it in drive had the column indicator between D and N. When the indicator was on D, it was actually in 2nd gear. I don't know if this was poor quality control, or if the column indicator was designed for the Turbo-Hydramatic 350 instead of the Turbo-Hydramatic 200 that this car was equipped with. The car certainly had its share of quality control issues. I traded it before the Turbo-Hydramatic 200 could fail. This transmission was not suitable with a V8 engine.
I know it's too late, now, but you do realize that the shifter's indicator WAS adjustable, to remedy the situation you're speaking of.

Quote:
Well, the point was that the indicator was not important. I learned to drive in cars with automatic transmissions and column shifters and I don't know that I ever looked at the indicator more than a couple times in all the years I drove/have driven such cars. In the automatic trans cars I've had with console shifters, I doubt I've looked at the indicator more than a dozen times in 42 years since I got the first car with that configuration. And no one looks at the shift pattern on top of a standard trans knob more than a couple times to figure out where reverse is - heck, you can't! Your hand's covering it!

Proper ergonomic design - and there have been many books written on this - would dictate that gear shifting be accessible by feel alone, with no need to make a visual confirmation.
Again I agree, 100%.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:10 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,360,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I know it's too late, now, but you do realize that the shifter's indicator WAS adjustable, to remedy the situation you're speaking of..
No one ever adjusted those column shift gear indicators. Why? Because no one ever used them for anything. You'd look at it and say "hmmm... I'm in D but it points halfway between D and N. Interesting..." and you'd never think about it again. Why? Because the gear was completely accessible by feel with no visual confirmation needed. In other words, correct human factors design.

Old 01-07-2021, 04:01 PM

6,490 posts, read 3,180,655 times
Quote:
No one ever adjusted those column shift gear indicators. Why? Because no one ever used them for anything. You'd look at it and say "hmmm... I'm in D but it points halfway between D and N. Interesting..." and you'd never think about it again. Why? Because the gear was completely accessible by feel with no visual confirmation needed. In other words, correct human factors design.
That's right!

Old 01-07-2021, 05:17 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,440,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
That's right!
We were not wigged out if the indicator wasn’t exactly pointed to the D as long as it went into drive was good enough for me.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:46 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,968,934 times
Quote:
That's bad design.

The old straight line shift patterns for automatics, whether column or console, allow you to do all common shifting functions without looking at anything, purely by the location and strength of the detents. That's good ergonomic design. Bad ergonomic design is where tactile feedback does not give you any idea where the control is located. Not so important to a radio volume control; can result in property damage, personal injury or death in the case of a transmission shifter.

The principles of human factors engineering have largely been lost over the last 20 years or so of automotive design. The basic principle of automotive driver controls from sometime in the 1930s through the 1990s was that the driver should be able to keep his eyes on the road and surroundings at all times and access all controls without having to look or search. That basic, safety-driven principle has been thrown out the window with the plethora of touchscreens and other matters like the anti-ergonomic shift controls being discussed here.
Yeah? Do you remember how people used to navigate in those days? By reading a paper map while driving!
I remember staring at my tape player while winding it to find the song I wanted. Passenger seat was dedicated to holding my CD binder so I could flip through them while driving. Now I push a button ask Siri to find the song I want while nav prompts tell me what lane to be in. The old days weren’t what you thought they were.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Us older folks made it possible for you to have what you’re driving today, we been there done that but younger people seem to forget that.
Yes you started with horses and buggies and now we have cars that can pretty much drive themselves. You start with something then improve on it. I’ve had manuals, DCT’s, autos, column shifts, rotary knobs, buttons, don’t matter to me. I spend a couple seconds to figure it out then put the car in gear and go and never have a problem. As long as they don’t mess with the turn signals, I’m good with whatever.

What those knobs and buttons do is simplify the linkages going to the transmission to allow for better packaging or get the shifter out of the way (ever have a car that you couldn’t access the AC or radio while in park?) The first time I put my old Corvette in reverse, I punched the drink out of the tiny cup holder because that’s where the stick went for reverse. I’m sure it’s all charming looking back, but older cars were always a work in progress.

Old 01-07-2021, 11:19 PM

8,540 posts, read 4,776,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Yes you started with horses and buggies and now we have cars that can pretty much drive themselves. You start with something then improve on it. I’ve had manuals, DCT’s, autos, column shifts, rotary knobs, buttons, don’t matter to me. I spend a couple seconds to figure it out then put the car in gear and go and never have a problem. As long as they don’t mess with the turn signals, I’m good with whatever.

What those knobs and buttons do is simplify the linkages going to the transmission to allow for better packaging or get the shifter out of the way (ever have a car that you couldn’t access the AC or radio while in park?) The first time I put my old Corvette in reverse, I punched the drink out of the tiny cup holder because that’s where the stick went for reverse. I’m sure it’s all charming looking back, but older cars were always a work in progress.
Ehhhh maybe? I’ll proffer my ‘14 Town and Country again. The dash mounted shifter doesn’t really gain anything vs a column shifter. But maybe it’s a bit of a transitional thing? If it felt a wee bit more instinctual, I’d probably likewise be a wee bit more on board with the freshest shifter form factors.

Old 01-07-2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Ehhhh maybe? I’ll proffer my ‘14 Town and Country again. The dash mounted shifter doesn’t really gain anything vs a column shifter. But maybe it’s a bit of a transitional thing? If it felt a wee bit more instinctual, I’d probably likewise be a wee bit more on board with the freshest shifter form factors.
The dash mounted shifter probably was simpler and cheaper than column mounted. I haven’t seen a column mount in years. I’m guessing the column mount was the answer to freeing up the center console for more storage or room for someone to sit in a bench seat but most manufacturers went with console shifters. In minivans they probably tried to split the difference with a dash shifter. My Pacifica had a knob. Not my favorite, but not difficult either. Now it’s all shift by wire so they can use whatever they want.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:28 AM

8,540 posts, read 4,776,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The dash mounted shifter probably was simpler and cheaper than column mounted. I haven’t seen a column mount in years. I’m guessing the column mount was the answer to freeing up the center console for more storage or room for someone to sit in a bench seat but most manufacturers went with console shifters. In minivans they probably tried to split the difference with a dash shifter. My Pacifica had a knob. Not my favorite, but not difficult either. Now it’s all shift by wire so they can use whatever they want.
Perhaps? I’m not entirely sure it’s a mechanical linkage. Either way, while it’s not a dealbreaker for me, it’s kind of awkward. I’d almost rather have a puck shifter just because I won’t keep getting fooled into thinking I can shift it while keeping my right hand on the wheel. It’s just neither fish nor fowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive