Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 06:57 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,049,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
This is the interior in question. A 2017 Range Rover. Article did not specify if Sport or any other model, so we can only surmise they meant Range Rover (Full Size). It's a dial:

This is neither an unprecedented control as a shifter, nor confusing to use. It's like a dial on a washing machine.

The shifter below is on all other models of Range Rover for 2017. The same ol' slap stick that's been used on BMW's for... 10 years?

Both setups automatically apply the parking brake when Park is selected. It cannot be defeated by the driver. If it rolled away, it wasn't in Park.
Regarding that last sentence: Were you there?

Were you in those drivers' shoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 07:12 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,451,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Regarding that last sentence: Were you there?

Were you in those drivers' shoes?
Are you thinking the more likely result was both the transmission shifting out of gear AND the parking brake engagement failed at the same time, with no prior history of failure?

Old 01-01-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Are you thinking the more likely result was both the
transmission shifting out of gear AND the parking brake
engagement failed at the same time, with no prior
history of failure?
Whatever happened, the result was the vehicle rolling over the operator as they got out of it, as shown in the video.

All because of needlessly re-inventing the... transmission shifter.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I don't know your age, but what are you going to do in 11 years, when your
2012 automobile is 20 years old? Here in the salt belt, the bodies fall apart before
the mechanical parts wear out, but a 20 year old vehicle is still a very old vehicle.
Find another 2012 or earlier model year vehicle, with as low mileage as possible!
Camrys and Accords of all vintages since 2000 are still as ubiquitous on our roads as are planes at airports, so I'm not too worried.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 01-01-2021 at 08:28 PM..

Old 01-02-2021, 12:00 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,868,681 times
Quote:
And that's something I don't get: A lot of older folks, possibly older than my fifty years, corresponding like KWIDJ! ZIZZZZIZIU, "EJCJRC3PO".

I guess I'm just a very ollllld fifty-something, in my conduct and in my beliefs.
And you have benchmarked entire generations based on how you live your life?

"Fuddy duddy" comes to mind.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:13 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,028,345 times
Quote:
Whatever happened, the result was the vehicle rolling over the operator as they got out of it, as shown in the video.

All because of needlessly re-inventing the... transmission shifter.
Unintended acceleration. It was the floor mats.

Old 01-02-2021, 06:14 AM

6,510 posts, read 3,196,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Annoying as all out for those of us who, in the turn of events, end up driving a variety of vehicles. Good user interface design is supposed to be intuitive.
I agree, 100% Although I'm not in favor of Government intrusion, I'll say this....Decades ago, mid-60s, I believe, one thing the US Government mandated in cars, is a "standard" automatic transmission shifter sequence....P-R-N-D-L. Even back then, there were too many "incidents" caused by every manufacturer having their own sequence, and if a person went from car to car, it was EASILY confusing.

Quote:
This is the interior in question. A 2017 Range Rover. Article did not specify if Sport or any other model, so we can only surmise they meant Range Rover (Full Size). It's a dial:

This is neither an unprecedented control as a shifter, nor confusing to use. It's like a dial on a washing machine.

Both setups automatically apply the parking brake when Park is selected. It cannot be defeated by the driver. If it rolled away, it wasn't in Park.

There are TWO of those "dial shifters" in cars that are in my garage, right now. And as I said previously, they are are about as "fool proof" as you can get, these days, unlike the &&*^%$$ shifter in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Jeep's shifter is the epitome of insane, non-tactile, electronics. And FWIW, I had a 1996 Z/28 Camaro, one of the last cars to actually have a mechanical cable, that attached to the transmission. That was a GOOD shifter.....

Old 01-02-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Unintended acceleration. It was the floor mats.

Good one, 731, real good!

Not...

Old 01-02-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree, 100% Although I'm not in favor of Government intrusion, I'll say this....Decades ago, mid-60s, I believe, one thing the US Government mandated in cars, is a "standard" automatic transmission shifter sequence....P-R-N-D-L. Even back then, there were too many "incidents" caused by every manufacturer having their own sequence, and if a person went from car to car, it was EASILY confusing.

There are TWO of those "dial shifters" in cars that are in my garage, right now. And as I said previously, they are are about as "fool proof" as you can get, these days, unlike the &&*^%$$ shifter in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Jeep's shifter is the epitome of insane, non-tactile, electronics. And FWIW, I had a 1996 Z/28 Camaro, one of the last cars to actually have a mechanical cable, that attached to the transmission. That was a GOOD shifter.....

1. "PRNDL": I think it should have been PRDLN, but that's just me

2. Your Garage: I'll take the Camaro - you can keep the two Star Trek props.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:57 AM

15,579 posts, read 7,596,973 times
Quote:
1. "PRNDL": I think it should have been PRDLN, but that's just me

2. Your Garage: I'll take the Camaro - you can keep the two Star Trek props.
Federal regulations require that N be between R and D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive