Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2020, 07:25 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post

<snip>

I'd guess the phone keypad was born first.

<snip>
10 key was first in the Casio 14-a in 1957

Touch Tone phone pad in 1963

https://www.firstversions.com/2015/0...alculator.html

https://archive.vn/20130127020012/ht...n-telephone-2/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 12:20 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Why do they change things ? For what practical reason.
Some of us remember push button shifters on Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge.
The Edsel had buttons on steering wheel.

But all of those went away.

Now we have round dials. For what reason? Just to be different ?

I have to blame the young designers just out of college. Then the young out of college inexperienced marketing people. Then all the way to top management.

I was at a gas station at dusk - getting dark. A nice elderly lady in a brand new fancy expensive sedan rolls window down and asks me for help. She can't figure out how to turn on the headlights of this brand new car that her husband just bought for her.
And in the glove compartment of that brand new car was, no doubt, the owner's manual that would have told her every thing she needed to know if only she had been cognitive sufficiently to take it out and read it.

Accept some responsibility for your own life choices and RTFM!

Old 01-01-2021, 05:36 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
And in the glove compartment of that brand new car was, no doubt, the owner's manual that would have told her every thing she needed to know if only she had been cognitive sufficiently to take it out and read it.

Keep in mind, that 52 years ago, when I became a licensed driver, the owners manual was only 20-25 pages, because cars were simple enough, and more importantly, intuitive enough, that you didn't need the 200+ page manual of a 2020 car.....

Old 01-01-2021, 06:03 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Well, I appreciate some of the safety implements. But electric power steering, plus no facilities for playing physical media and a big honkin tablet where the dash used to be, are enough to keep me out of anything built after 2012.
I don't know your age, but what are you going to do in 11 years, when your 2012 automobile is 20 years old? Here in the salt belt, the bodies fall apart before the mechanical parts wear out, but a 20 year old vehicle is still a very old vehicle.

Old 01-01-2021, 06:22 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Keep in mind, that 52 years ago, when I became a licensed driver, the owners manual was only 20-25 pages, because cars were simple enough, and more importantly, intuitive enough, that you didn't need the 200+ page manual of a 2020 car.....
One of the things I like about buying a new vehicle is sitting down and reading the owner's manual from cover to cover. Back when you could buy the factory shop manual in printed form, I used to sit down and leaf through that, too.

Despite liking to read, I agree about the intuitive part. I remember finding an early 1960s Chevrolet owner's manual that someone had tossed onto my grandparent's lawn. I read the part about the optional overdrive transmission, which I had not encountered before. I understood how it operated after reading the section one time. Today's cars are much more complex. Can I tell you how to turn the automatic defogging, automatic defrosting, or air ionizer on or off from memory on my 2019 Buick Encore? No, I can not. In fact, it took a long time to figure out the memory seat and the collision alert setting after I bought the car. These are setting I would only attempt to change while setting in my driveway.

As another example, when I leave the Wooster area, I need to change the classical music station from the Wooster repeater frequency to the main Kent frequency. In the old days, I would have changed stations by pushing one of the buttons below the radio dial. Since I keep the built-in navigation screen up, I now have to push the home button, push the audio screen indicator, push the station screen indicator, then push the compass screen indicator to return to the navigation screen. This is something I prefer to do when stopped at a traffic light. Definitely not something I would do in heavy traffic.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:33 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:

I certainly don't wish to read a 700 page owners manual every time I rent an automobile.

Should be able to start the car, turn on the lights, turn on AC/heat, and maybe play the radio without reading the 700 page owners manual.

One car I rented, could not turn off heated seats. Eventually found deep into the on screen menu.

Really ? What happened to a dedicated button ?

Old 01-01-2021, 08:28 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times
Quote:
And in the glove compartment of that brand new car was, no doubt,
the owner's manual that would have told her every thing she needed to
know if only she had been cognitive sufficiently to take it out and read it.

This sounds like it came right from a Millennial. Especially that gobbledy-guhk at the end!

RTFM in plain words please? (And don't tell me to "google it"!)

Old 01-01-2021, 09:03 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
This sounds like it came right from a Millennial. Especially that gobbledy-guhk at the end!

Read The F'n Manual. It's been around a long time in computer support.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:16 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:

Can you stop with the generational insults, this is the auto forum and it's not appropriate.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:36 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Read The F'n Manual. It's been around a long time in computer support.
Thanks. But this is an open internet forum, not limited to the audience expected in the desktop support theater. And yes, fewer acronyms = less chance for ambiguity

Yes, more folks should crack a manual for once, but still, there is something to be said for reducing the number of steps to perform a basic function while two tons of steel, glass, & rubber is in motion, vs adding more steps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive