Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 05:01 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,451,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
And I don't need any of that. And I'm 'only' fifty years old - at the high age end of the market that supposedly is demanding all this inter-connected nonsense
50 years old, I’ll be 66 in April and I’ve had all the things you just love 3 on the tree 4 on the floor no ac that was a option in the l70’s, iv had floor vents, side window vents, bench seats, no seatbelts and drum breaks all the way around. I do miss some of those features but i like the way vehicles are equipped today. No more carburetors going out of sink, no more points and no more manual drum breaks or manual steering. You’re not old enough to witness all of those old vehicle systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 06:02 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,049,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
50 years old, I’ll be 66 in April and I’ve had all the things you just love 3 on
the tree 4 on the floor no ac that was a option in the l70’s, iv had floor vents,
side window vents, bench seats, no seatbelts and drum breaks all the way around.
I do miss some of those features but i like the way vehicles are equipped today. No
more carburetors going out of sink, no more points and no more manual drum
breaks or manual steering. You’re not old enough to witness all of those old vehicle
systems.
I remember most of those things. I never said I was against all automotive progress since the 1960s-'70s, just against the nonsense(post-2010).

You can say I have 'old' tastes for my age, and am proud of it!

I still have a big honkin' antenna on my house roof to pick up broadcast TV. Works like a charm!

Old 12-28-2020, 06:04 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,032,106 times
Does every thread on Automotive have to decay into "OLD STUFF IS BETTER GRRRRRRR."??

Old 12-28-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Does every thread on Automotive have to decay into "OLD
STUFF IS BETTER GRRRRRRR."??
There is some truth to "tried and true" in automotive technology.

Not all advances, especially in driver interfaces, are good if they now involve more steps to accomplish than they did before.

A lot of us don't appreciate menu surfing at 60mph, what with twitchy electric power steering and tires wide enough to land a small plane on...

Old 12-28-2020, 06:16 PM

15,578 posts, read 7,596,973 times
Quote:
I remember most of those things. I never said I was against all automotive progress since the 1960s-'70s, just against the nonsense(post-2010).

You can say I have 'old' tastes for my age, and am proud of it!

I still have a big honkin' antenna on my house roof to pick up broadcast TV. Works like a charm!
We have an inside antenna the size of a piece of paper to get broadcast TV, over 100 channels here in Houston. Those big antennas are so yesterday.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
We have an inside antenna the size of a piece of paper to get broadcast
TV, over 100 channels here in Houston. Those big antennas are so yesterday.
How close are you to the nearest transmitters though? TVFool has a great tool to determine that.

I live approx. 30miles north-northeast of lower Manhattan(NY City), so I need a large aerial to pull in that market. And with this new ATSC digital nonsense, I still get occasional dropouts and macro-blocking(purple squares).

Old 12-28-2020, 07:49 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,032,106 times
Quote:
How close are you to the nearest transmitters though? TVFool has a great tool to determine that.

I live approx. 30miles north-northeast of lower Manhattan(NY City), so I need a large aerial to pull in that market. And with this new ATSC digital nonsense, I still get occasional dropouts and macro-blocking(purple squares).
Automotive topic?

No.

Just "GRRRRRR...digital bad...analog good...GRRRRR"

Old 12-28-2020, 07:59 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,625,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
We have an inside antenna the size of a piece of paper to get broadcast TV, over 100 channels here in Houston. Those big antennas are so yesterday.

Drive out to Cuero or Refugio and see how many you get. While you're there, see if you can buy a replacement run-flat tire for your Tesla.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Automotive topic?

No.

Just "GRRRRRR...digital bad...analog
good...GRRRRR"
At least I'm for real, you know what you're getting with me!

Old 12-28-2020, 09:46 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,880,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
The more electronic gadgets a vehicle has the bigger repair bill you get. These car companies have us all in a bind!
Agreed. I love our simple, manual transmission 10' honda civic. After our model year the civics got all the gadgetry of the Accord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive