Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2021, 10:55 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,049,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Federal regulations require that N be between R and D

Federal regulations are fine - for reflector and lap brightness standards, and mandating passive and active safety systems. But they don't know a dang thing about transmissions, lol!

It would be easier for me to switch directly between Drive & Reverse, without Neutral in the way for me to shift into instead of the latter two.

But this thread is about overcomplicating intuitive driver-vehicle interactive functions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 11:03 AM

843 posts, read 571,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Federal regulations are fine - for reflector and lap brightness standards, and mandating passive and active safety systems. But they don't know a dang thing about transmissions, lol!

It would be easier for me to switch directly between Drive & Reverse, without Neutral in the way for me to shift into instead of the latter two.

But this thread is about overcomplicating intuitive driver-vehicle interactive functions.
Neither do you, lol

Old 01-02-2021, 11:03 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,032,710 times
Quote:

You could not be more wrong or obsessed about auto trans.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:11 AM

843 posts, read 571,238 times
Quote:

If you are so interested in the PRNDL history you should do some reading first to become smarter, lol:

https://jalopnik.com/why-prndl-5870701

Here is the quote:
...layouts that didn't separate forward and reverse gears with neutral were criticized as well, both for safety and technical reasons, since both people and machines aren't that crazy about abrupt changes of direction...

Old 01-02-2021, 11:13 AM

6,469 posts, read 9,846,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
You could not be more wrong or obsessed about auto trans.
I would include driving altogether based on some of his threads.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I would include driving altogether based on some of his threads.
C'mon, what kind of driver can you be when YOU can't tell the drastic difference in driving a 15 year old econo-car with 32.1PSI tires versus 32.2PSI tires?!?!?

Old 01-02-2021, 12:02 PM

8,555 posts, read 4,797,216 times
You’ve mentioned the PRNDL thing before. I guess it’s such a non-issue to me that I have trouble understanding why it’s a “thing” for you or anyone else.

I’ll still meet you halfway and agree that the puck shifters are sub-optimal as a user interface, but having used one I do t hate it as much as I thought I would.

It can get annoying after a while, though. We’ve had our Chrysler Town and Country for 4 years now and I still intuitively for for a column shifter rather than that kind of awkward dash mounted one. Usually manufacturers can count interior packaging as a reason for trying to re-invent the shifter, but in this case it really didn’t end up making room for anything else.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:14 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,618,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'd say it's 80% user error and 20% bad design. Even with the standard gear shifters, plenty of people have absentmindedly exited a moving vehicle while so self-absorbed in their own world they're oblivious to the fact that they're exiting a moving vehicle. Usually what happens is just a fender bender. Car rolls into another car or a building, but yeah, it's a moving car and can also cause some very serious bodily injury. Bad design might make it easier to commit user error but you'll never have any design that prevents it entirely. Stuff like Jeep/Chrysler shifters where there's not firm engagement so people often think they've got it in park when it's really not would be an example of bad design. No idea how Jaguars are. My car uses a push button for park which is really simple to operate. You push the button. If the light turns on on the button and the dashboard tells you it's in park, then it's in park. The shifter is more of a digital joystick so you can't rely on that to visually tell you what gear you're in. You have to look at the dashboard and the LED on the park button.

It's different. If you're used to the normal automatic where park is up at the top, reverse, neutral, drive, high/low at the bottom, that's not how my car operates or most newer cars operate. You can't just rely on looking on position of the gear selector to tell you're in park because it's in the same position it is for drive and reverse and neutral. Nor do you have to put the gear into park to turn off the engine. A lot of newer cars are that way. They do things for you. If you turn off the engine, they'll just put the car in neutral and then when you open the door put it in park. Again, different. If you're used to a normal key where the ignition switch is locked and won't let you turn the car off until you put it in park, well, that's not how most new cars operate anymore. They have push button start. But again, it's not like people didn't just leave their cars running in drive with key in the ignition and the old school shifter in drive.

I've got to say, that's one of my favorite features on new cars. I used to make fun of people who were too lazy to take their keys out of their pocket, unlock their door, put the key in the ignition, start the car. I mean come on, how lazy are you that that's too much work for you. After having SKS I've got to say if I could go back and do it over again, I would have paid the extra $2,000 for SKS on the passenger and trunk instead of just the driver's door. Trunk mostly. I'm really that lazy and it annoys me now that I have to reach in my pocket to unlock the trunk.
In 2009 I was sitting in my car at one of the locations for my nationwide gym (this happened to be in Fremont), glancing at a newspaper. This was during the day on a weekend. In front of my car, on the other side of the sidewalk, was a wall. A few cars away, a guy got into his car to leave. In between our cars, the wall stopped, and there were floor to ceiling windows, with a row treadmills on the other side of the window. The guy put one hand on the wheel, and turned his body so that he could look 100% behind his car. He applied the gas. The car jumped the curb, went across the sidewalk, crashed through the window, and pushed/‘relocated’ some treadmills. He thought he was in reverse, but he was in drive. Thank goodness the sidewalk and the treadmills were empty, and he wasn’t hurt either.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:36 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,049,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
In 2009 I was sitting in my car at one of the locations for my nationwide
gym (this happened to be in Fremont), glancing at a newspaper. This
was during the day on a weekend. In front of my car, on the other side
of the sidewalk, was a wall. A few cars away, a guy got into his car to
leave. In between our cars, the wall stopped, and there were floor to ceiling
windows, with a row treadmills on the other side of the window. The guy
put one hand on the wheel, and turned his body so that he could look 100%
behind his car. He applied the gas. The car jumped the curb, went across
the sidewalk, crashed through the window, and pushed/‘relocated’ some
treadmills. He thought he was in reverse, but he was in drive. Thank
goodness the sidewalk and the treadmills were empty, and he wasn’t hurt
either.

Reverse is one click below Park, on automatics anyway, so I don't know how he would have mistaken Drive for Rev!

For the last ten years though, I have tended to land from Park to Neutral, on both straight selectors and the newer zig-zag ones, when I wanted to be in Drive. I'd rather go straight from R to D, or vice versa. My foot is firmly on the brake pedal for all directional changes, as it should be, so no risk of 'grinding gears' there.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
For the last ten years though, I have tended to land from Park to Neutral, on both straight selectors and the newer zig-zag ones, when I wanted to be in Drive. I'd rather go straight from R to D, or vice versa. My foot is firmly on the brake pedal for all directional changes, as it should be, so no risk of 'grinding gears' there.
You can't figure out an auto trans so the industry should change as a result.

And having your foot on the brake doesn't preclude "grinding gears" even though that's not how I would necessarily describe shifting instantly from R to D or D to R.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive