Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 10:58 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,739,513 times

Advertisements

Another state has followed California’s example in banning the sale of new gasoline-powered vehicles. This time, it’s Massachusetts, and it’s aiming for a more electric-friendly state by 2035."

This is from Jalopnik. There is no paywall, anyone can read it. I'll be dead by then, but some of the younger enthusiasts out there might be affected.
In the meantime I just topped up the tank in our I-power generator because we were told no power all day Tuesday due to maintenance. We are in Northern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 02:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
It's still going to be a long time before their goals are met, if at all, since in both states you can still get their internal combustion vehicles then by buying used, from a neighboring state if necessary.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:46 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's still going to be a long time before their goals are met, if at all, since in both states you can still get their internal combustion vehicles then by buying used, from a neighboring state if necessary.
Yeah, US adoption will be slow especially if it goes state to state like this.

But Germany and Japan banning them will have a big impact. With VW saying this upcoming generation will be the last internal combustion. Will automakers based in countries with bans continue to invest in design of new ICE vehicles for export only? That will eventually cascade to the domestics too. The writing is already on the wall. Don't expect it to completely die off in our lifetimes, but rather go the way of the manual transmission with a gradual decline.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:46 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
...and used will be available in MA for years to come. They aren't banning ICE vehicles altogether but rather the sale of new ones.

It's possible that the timeline may be extended as it gets closer. But based on the rapid change in electric technology in the past 10 years, the next 15 are going to be even greater. One automotive podcast that I listen to said that once a manufacturer can profitably sell a $25K EV with 400 miles of range, it'll become the sales leader.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:48 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,267,603 times
Like I said before, 50% of new vehicle sales will be electric by 2030.

While there will be a long tail of use of ICE cars after that, ridesharing will rapidly increase the % of miles driven that come from electric drivetrains.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:52 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah, US adoption will be slow especially if it goes state to state like this.

But Germany and Japan banning them will have a big impact. With VW saying this upcoming generation will be the last internal combustion. Will automakers based in countries with bans continue to invest in design of new ICE vehicles for export only? That will eventually cascade to the domestics too. The writing is already on the wall. Don't expect it to completely die off in our lifetimes, but rather go the way of the manual transmission with a gradual decline.
Exactly right on the decline. My grandkids will look back at ICE cars like I look back at muscle cars.

As for US adoption being slow with a state by state approach, I will disagree. With CA implementing the same deadline and having the largest market in the US, I see them being the reason for quick adoption in the US. The other CARB states will go along with CA and MA and that represents almost 45% of the market for new cars. When CA dragged automakers to CARB compliant vehicles, automakers stopped making 49 state cars. Pretty soon, the automakers simply won't offer anything but EV's as they aren't going to spend money on similar vehicles with different powerplants.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:03 PM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Something for the "green weenies" to ponder....it's called the law of unintended consequences.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...i=kxE.5zf8ggCZ

Old 01-04-2021, 04:13 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Something for the "green weenies" to ponder....it's called the law of unintended consequences.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...i=kxE.5zf8ggCZ
The goal is novel but the politicians are morons and muck up everything.

Some people will click on your video and discount it because of the source WAY before actually researching its validity.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:46 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
New England is not exactly an ideal state for going electric only. Way too many Winter hell. Electricity is the most inefficient way to generate heat. In an EV, the heater can drain power faster than driving.

Old 01-04-2021, 05:36 PM

863 posts, read 866,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It's possible that the timeline may be extended as it gets closer. But based on the rapid change in electric technology in the past 10 years, the next 15 are going to be even greater. One automotive podcast that I listen to said that once a manufacturer can profitably sell a $25K EV with 400 miles of range, it'll become the sales leader.
Well sure, that's obvious. The hard part is accomplishing that in a vehicle large enough for a family of 4. Automakers already have a tough time doing that with an ICE so I'm not optimistic for it anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive