Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 07:22 AM

17,341 posts, read 22,090,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's still going to be a long time before their goals are met, if at all, since in both states you can still get their internal combustion vehicles then by buying used, from a neighboring state if necessary.
or simply drive to NH and buy your new vehicle there, then drive it back to Mass......and register it as a used car! Lots of time to repeal/extend that "law"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 09:14 AM

10,317 posts, read 6,861,305 times
Think I'll get a horse. It'll be CARB compliant.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:04 AM

1,070 posts, read 788,650 times
Default So what is driving the electric car phenomenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Like I said before, 50% of new vehicle sales will be electric by 2030.

While there will be a long tail of use of ICE cars after that, ridesharing will rapidly increase the % of miles driven that come from electric drivetrains.
So what is driving the electric car phenomenon, economics maybe. I'll go along with Hybrids sales at 50% but E.V.'s not so much.

Doesn't the electric car phenomenon have much more to do with economics then efficiency? After making just a few observations about cost of living in Japan and the E.U. it becomes clear that the driving force behind electric cars is economics.

A few examples. (check the individual countries your self) as a percentage of income.

E.U. or Japan's gas cost per liter.

E.U. or Japan's Kilowatt hour cost of electric.

E.U. or Japan's Cost of health care.

E.U. or Japan's Average monthly wages.

E.U. countries massive strikes and car burning's for years during national holidays in numerous E.U. countries.

E.U. or Japan's Lack of natural gas, petroleum resources.

Hong Kong 13% of their real estate sales last year were NANO apartments (defined as) 244 square feet or less a rapidly growing phenomenon in a well to do country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_fire

The bottom line is I had no idea that a number of European countries had people who were purposefully burning thousands of cars yearly on national holidays, there must be a reason. I'd say gas is not affordable over there.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:41 PM

32,664 posts, read 48,104,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
.........But there will still be gas niches - sports cars, pickups, off-roaders like Jeeps, some luxury ones focused on performance.........
The people who know what is best for you know that you don't need a performance car, a sports car, a pickup, or anything that goes off road.

Old 01-05-2021, 01:33 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,867,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Therefore, if I wanted to, and my bladder was up to the task, the SC trip could be made with ONE, 5-10 minute stop to refuel, and take a "bio break". Can an EV do that???
Yes but its more like 15 to 20 minutes depending on how much you are really needing to top off, which isn't that different than waiting in a short line and filling the gas then going in for a bio break etc.. There is a super charger station between here and Phoenix (about a 400 mile drive). The recharge rate works out to about 1,000 miles an hour.

The thing people who don't own one yet understand is, there are some different behaviors you will pick up: You tend to top these off before they get near empty, out of habit. Unlike the gas car which we usually drove till it was nearly empty. Also for daily needs, you are charging at home so you almost never need to charge it anywhere else. Who really misses the gas station experience?

Old 01-05-2021, 01:55 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,865,788 times
Yes, I am curious about EV but, as stated, the fueling time and abundance of fast charging stations are going to have to be vastly improved upon. I have been in a Tesla X and it is very impressive as far as torque. Fit and finish , not so impressed for that amount of money. I am still not ready to put my money down on one and will wait for all of this to "shake out".

Old 01-05-2021, 02:07 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,329,798 times
Most people don't take road trips on a regular basis. Most people have homes. Only about 25% live in apartments and condos and many of those facilities are getting incentivized to get charging stations installed. So charging at home makes it so that you rarely if ever have to charge out on the road, unlike a gas powered car. Top it off every night or every couple of nights and occasionally make a 15-20 minute stop if you do take a longer trip to get home.

Most of the year, my Bolt sees 336 miles of available range, and I never have to charge it away from home.

EVs can make a lot of sense for daily driver cars. And as battery prices drop, they are getting cheaper, too. Maintenance costs are nil.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:51 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,625,370 times
No more new gas cars after 2035 in Massachusetts

Does that mean that anyone driving a gasoline-powered car into MA will be stopped at the state border, turned around, and forbidden to enter?

Will there be fines and a black mark on your criminal record? Will all the border check points be manned 24/7/365?

Or are they just forbidding dealers from SELLING new gasoline-powered cars inside the borders of MA?

So people can buy one in CT, ME, etc. and drive it a few extra miles home?

Will MA still register such a car, issue it a MA plate and title, etc.? Of do the buyers have to do that in CT or wherever, too?

Just sayin'.......

Old 01-05-2021, 08:25 PM

2,686 posts, read 2,333,614 times
I always have gone with I have a cheap modern daily I drive for 7-10 years and a nice toy car. I will need to be able to get a 2 year old or newer EV for under 14k or I will never buy one. I've purchased 3 Corollas in last 7 years, 1yr 2yr and 2yrs old miles ranging from 700-11k got them all between 11-14k. I will never buy a EV since its cheaper to buy a corolla and pay for gas. I also have polluting 2 door 2 seater that gets 14 to the gallon.

I'm a fan of EV's, I look at daily drivers from a business perspective. The numbers have to make sense and they don't.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:02 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,271,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I just don't see it. I own a Volt, but out of all of the Chevy dealerships within 100 miles of me, I can count on one hand the number of Bolts for sale. I have seen two other Volts on the road besides mine, and the occasional Tesla, but that's it.
It won't be because of GM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive