Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 09:08 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,441,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Another state has followed California’s example in banning the sale of new gasoline-powered vehicles. This time, it’s Massachusetts, and it’s aiming for a more electric-friendly state by 2035."

This is from Jalopnik. There is no paywall, anyone can read it. I'll be dead by then, but some of the younger enthusiasts out there might be affected.
In the meantime I just topped up the tank in our I-power generator because we were told no power all day Tuesday due to maintenance. We are in Northern California.
Meanwhile down south we have some counties that don't even check emissions and your EGR delete is A-OK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 05:22 AM

6,475 posts, read 3,167,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The people who know what is best for you, know that you don't need a performance car, a sports car, a pickup, or anything that goes off road.
Indeed. Sadly, it appears that this country, once the "land of the free, and home of the brave", is headed in that direction.....

Old 01-06-2021, 08:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,297,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Meanwhile down south we have some counties that don't even check emissions and your EGR delete is A-OK!
Here in the entire state of Washington there is no longer any emission inspections as of a year ago. It's still illegal to tamper with factory emissions systems, but only something obvious spotted by the state patrol would result in a ticket.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:45 AM

9,430 posts, read 11,185,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Something for the "green weenies" to ponder....it's called the law of unintended consequences.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...i=kxE.5zf8ggCZ
I watched that a couple of days ago. And of course the problem with Central Planning is that bureaucrats do not live in a real world of consequences for behavior. Look no further than governors closing businesses and putting people out of work while the entire state government apparatus continues getting its paychecks.

Thus it is with pie-in-the-sky Central Planners. It worked so well in the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc, it works so well in Red China with US subsidies, but the physical and technological impossibility of creating enough "green" power is a fact that cannot be overcome by brain dead Central Planners.

This Green Delusion is clearly a mental disorder, a form of psychosis in which detachment from reality is encouraged and applauded.

If this was so hunky-dory wouldn't China be going all electric? Well, it ain't hunky-dory and China is building coal powered generators like they're going out of style. Which they are in the Delusional West. Central Planners think the world has always been wealthy and fairly free, as it is now thanks to a couple of centuries of Western Civilization, but the normal state of humankind is more along the royalty-serf/peasant model.

This delusion train will come to a screeching halt because Central Planners are at the core incompetent boobs. Look no further than California's electric power troubles. Much of that is self-induced because the greenies are so greenfected that they won't allow trimming of greenery near power lines, fires start due to electrical contact or lightning strikes, the fires take out the electrical lines, and guess what? Green become red-orange-yellow, the red-orange-yellow of massive fires. Brought on largely by psychotic Central Planners, every one of whom is The Smartest Guy In The Room. Just ask them. Ask Gates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if these bans eventually end up in the courts.
They will have to because the Central Planners are interfering with commerce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I hope California can figure out how to provide a steady source of electricity to all of California by then. Large areas of California get their electricity off sometimes for weeks at a time.
Don't worry! Greenness will take care of all that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
California can't even keep the lights on.
No worries, the governor's mansion has lights, the legislature has lights, no problemo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I have nothing against EVs. We can afford and we might buy the best car Tesla offers one day. For my wife it would be the ideal vehicle if I drop dead before her because she has no idea how to maintain and care for an ICE car or SUV. She has a hard time changing batteries in a flashlight and she can't open the hood to check the oil in our Kona. But she knows hot to plug in a toaster - what else do you need to drive a Tesla?

The problem I have, the reason I posted this, in a metaphor: Filet mignon is terrific. I love it. But please, don't force it down my throat when I want something different.
So you won't be moving to Cuba or Venezuela any time soon, I take it.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:47 AM

9,430 posts, read 11,185,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
So what is driving the electric car phenomenon, economics maybe. I'll go along with Hybrids sales at 50% but E.V.'s not so much.

Doesn't the electric car phenomenon have much more to do with economics then efficiency? After making just a few observations about cost of living in Japan and the E.U. it becomes clear that the driving force behind electric cars is economics.

A few examples. (check the individual countries your self) as a percentage of income.

E.U. or Japan's gas cost per liter.

E.U. or Japan's Kilowatt hour cost of electric.

E.U. or Japan's Cost of health care.

E.U. or Japan's Average monthly wages.

E.U. countries massive strikes and car burning's for years during national holidays in numerous E.U. countries.

E.U. or Japan's Lack of natural gas, petroleum resources.

Hong Kong 13% of their real estate sales last year were NANO apartments (defined as) 244 square feet or less a rapidly growing phenomenon in a well to do country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_fire

The bottom line is I had no idea that a number of European countries had people who were purposefully burning thousands of cars yearly on national holidays, there must be a reason. I'd say gas is not affordable over there.
Central Planning is the driver of this train.

Old 01-06-2021, 02:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 7,461,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It's possible that the timeline may be extended as it gets closer. But based on the rapid change in electric technology in the past 10 years, the next 15 are going to be even greater. One automotive podcast that I listen to said that once a manufacturer can profitably sell a $25K EV with 400 miles of range, it'll become the sales leader.
In September 2020 Elon Musk announced a 3-year timeline for Tesla to roll out the $25k car.

I drive a 2014 Focus with 150 k miles on it, and I hope my next car will be that $25k Tesla.

Old 01-06-2021, 03:59 PM

6,475 posts, read 3,167,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I watched that a couple of days ago. And of course the problem with Central Planning is that bureaucrats do not live in a real world of consequences for behavior. Look no further than governors closing businesses and putting people out of work while the entire state government apparatus continues getting its paychecks.

Thus it is with pie-in-the-sky Central Planners. It worked so well in the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc, it works so well in Red China with US subsidies, but the physical and technological impossibility of creating enough "green" power is a fact that cannot be overcome by brain dead Central Planners.

This Green Delusion is clearly a mental disorder, a form of psychosis in which detachment from reality is encouraged and applauded.

If this was so hunky-dory wouldn't China be going all electric? Well, it ain't hunky-dory and China is building coal powered generators like they're going out of style. Which they are in the Delusional West. Central Planners think the world has always been wealthy and fairly free, as it is now thanks to a couple of centuries of Western Civilization, but the normal state of humankind is more along the royalty-serf/peasant model.

This delusion train will come to a screeching halt because Central Planners are at the core incompetent boobs. Look no further than California's electric power troubles. Much of that is self-induced because the greenies are so greenfected that they won't allow trimming of greenery near power lines, fires start due to electrical contact or lightning strikes, the fires take out the electrical lines, and guess what? Green become red-orange-yellow, the red-orange-yellow of massive fires. Brought on largely by psychotic Central Planners, every one of whom is The Smartest Guy In The Room. Just ask them. Ask Gates.
Well stated!!

Old 01-06-2021, 06:36 PM

9,891 posts, read 7,233,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
In September 2020 Elon Musk announced a 3-year timeline for Tesla to roll out the $25k car.

I drive a 2014 Focus with 150 k miles on it, and I hope my next car will be that $25k Tesla.
I don't trust Tesla with achieving that goal by 2023. Elon has never met a deadline that was actually met. And even if they eventually make one for $25K, it'll be offered for a few months with a few sold and then no longer offered. The Model 3 was their $35K EV. You can no longer get it and it was replaced by a $38K model with fewer features but more range.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:38 PM

9,891 posts, read 7,233,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
or simply drive to NH and buy your new vehicle there, then drive it back to Mass......and register it as a used car! Lots of time to repeal/extend that "law"
To register it in MA as a used vehicle it has be registered elsewhere for at least 6 months. Without that, you owe the sales tax and I presume you won't be allowed to register it.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:54 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,073,959 times
I'd like to see the politicians making these laws to have the guts to make them non-negotiable, to make "hard stops" that cannot be moved or kicked down the road. And personally post some kind of bond, maybe tied to their retirement benefits, so when it goes south, they lose their pensions. Idjits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive