Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2021, 08:32 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Another state has followed California’s example in banning the sale of new gasoline-powered vehicles. This time, it’s Massachusetts, and it’s aiming for a more electric-friendly state by 2035."

This is from Jalopnik. There is no paywall, anyone can read it. I'll be dead by then, but some of the younger enthusiasts out there might be affected.
In the meantime I just topped up the tank in our I-power generator because we were told no power all day Tuesday due to maintenance. We are in Northern California.
I support this and hope Arizona does similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 07:26 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDavid View Post
At present - state governments get revenue from gas taxes (my state Pa is one of the highest per gallon).

What will the states "tax" if/when EV's outnumber gas vehicles.

Get ready for "pay by miles driven" tax scheme (Big Brother gets closer) that can be tallied and billed at annual inspections.

Mass is banning NEW car sales.
There will be plenty of 2-3 yr old "Certified" Lease returns to choose from if you want a gasser.
Those that use the roads more should be paying more. I don`t see any "scheme" in getting people to pay for what they use. Big Brother?

Old 02-16-2021, 11:53 AM

5,177 posts, read 6,136,412 times
Changes are coming in the future to make up lost tax revenue.

There are plenty of papers written to explore this:

https://digitalcommons.lasalle.edu/c...tics_capstones

Old 02-16-2021, 03:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
With this news, the owners of dealerships in New Hampshire, Connecticut and Rhode Island are planning for their new Lamborghinis, swimming pools and boats with the increased business.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:54 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
With this news, the owners of dealerships in New Hampshire, Connecticut and Rhode Island are planning for their new Lamborghinis, swimming pools and boats with the increased business.
As noted before, it won't happen. It will be handled like current sales of new cars from out of state. You can't register without paying sales tax and that will be extended to ICE vehicles.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:01 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
No electricity in Texas now Half of Oregon too.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:39 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
No electricity in Texas now Half of Oregon too.
Not to be overly sarcastic, as I sympathize with those folks, but how would they be getting around, if all they had were EVs?? And before you even say it, I'm fully aware that gas stations close down, when the electric power goes out. But if you know a potential storm is coming, you can fill your car with gas, and if your usage is prudent, you can have "wheels" for a LONG time.....a LOT longer than an EV would last.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:23 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,266,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Not to be overly sarcastic, as I sympathize with those folks, but how would they be getting around, if all they had were EVs?? And before you even say it, I'm fully aware that gas stations close down, when the electric power goes out. But if you know a potential storm is coming, you can fill your car with gas, and if your usage is prudent, you can have "wheels" for a LONG time.....a LOT longer than an EV would last.
They can "fill" their EV with electrons beforehand too.

Then they can use their car for heat while in garage, charging some things, and watching movies too

Next question.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:13 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
They can "fill" their EV with electrons beforehand too.

Then they can use their car for heat while in garage, charging some things, and watching movies too

Next question.

For how long???

The absolute best I've seen for an EV, is 300-350 miles of driving, and other uses reduce that range considerably. My ICE vehicle will go 600+miles on a tank of gas........

Old 02-17-2021, 12:57 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
For how long???

The absolute best I've seen for an EV, is 300-350 miles of driving, and other uses reduce that range considerably. My ICE vehicle will go 600+miles on a tank of gas........
~400 miles is tops right now with the long range Model S having an EPA rated 412 miles range. Lucid Air coming later this year supposedly rated at 517 miles and Tesla is aiming for 520+ miles for the Model S Plaid+ also later this year.

The question is how long will it take for that to trickle down to more affordable vehicles, and will it do so by 2035?

The highest rated range vehicle you could get in 2010 was for 73 miles. The highest rated range now is 412 miles. However, that vehicle is an expensive luxury vehicle. If you look at a vehicle that's less expensive and lower than the average price of a new vehicle sold in 2019/2020, then you have the Chevrolet Bolt at 259 miles range at $31,995 MSRP including destination charge and installation of a home charger or its crossover companion the Chevrolet Bolt EUV at 250 miles range at $33,995 MSRP with destination charge and installation of a home charger. That's a pretty dramatic 3.4x improvement over the course of a decade whereas the supposed ban is in 14 years. I don't reckon there's that much demand for a 3.4x improvement within a decade for range on 250 miles (so 4.7x improvement over 14 years?), and I'm not even sure if there's a huge body of people who strongly want 600+ miles of range on a single charge, but it's likely we'll see some EV with that within the next few years.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-17-2021 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive