Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2021, 11:32 AM

37,273 posts, read 39,596,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I bought my level 2 charger for about $200 on Amazon.

The issue for most people will be that you need to have a 240v outlet available. It was very easy for me to install one in my garage because my breaker panel was already right there, but I know many people don't have a garage.

I'm just thinking about all of my rental properties, and none of them have the panel anywhere near the driveway. It would be costly for those because I would have to pay someone to bury a wire or run one through the attic to the other side of the house. Some older homes also don't have an available space left in the panel for another breaker.

I would be surprised if someone with rental units doesn't actually end up charging a bit of a premium to tenants for charging up their vehicles if the landlord ends up paying to run power to an EV charger where the parking is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 11:56 AM

9,920 posts, read 7,264,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I would be surprised if someone with rental units doesn't actually end up charging a bit of a premium to tenants for charging up their vehicles if the landlord ends up paying to run power to an EV charger where the parking is.

Or they'll have to cut their rental prices if they don't offer an amenity that's available at most rental units in the future.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:00 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,639,819 times
Good luck. People can buy used or neighboring states.

I expect a large influx of conversion kits. Lots of people like their current cars and feel no need to buy a new complicated, hard to access parts and support from manufacturers EV. I would have no issue getting a conversion kit.

I also expect a huge cost to electricity and upgrades to the grid and dictionary cists to implementation of home charging stations as the current grid simply isn’t good enough to support a large amount of EVs energy requirements.

Old 01-17-2021, 03:43 PM

3,819 posts, read 2,346,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

I expect a large influx of conversion kits. Lots of people like their current cars and feel no need to buy a new complicated, hard to access parts and support from manufacturers EV. I would have no issue getting a conversion kit.

I also expect a huge cost to electricity and upgrades to the grid and dictionary cists to implementation of home charging stations as the current grid simply isn’t good enough to support a large amount of EVs energy requirements.

Think about where the grid was 15-20 years ago, vs now. So think about how it can adapt after another 15-20 years. And think about this, even if all new cars have to be EV by 2035, it'll still take decades before a large amount of people have them, so there's PLENTY of time for the grid to adapt. It's not like there's a switch thrown and everybody gets EVs overnight.

Some of these fears about the grid are just that, irrational, not well thought out fears.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:07 PM

9,920 posts, read 7,264,885 times
Quote:
As I noted a couple of times earlier, used - yes, other states - no.

MA will simply implement the standards that they have now on out of state purchases in terms of sales tax: if it hasn't been registered in another state for 6 month, you owe tax. In the future, the state simply won't allow you to register a car bought out of state unless it meets the same standard.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:30 PM

37,273 posts, read 39,596,627 times
Quote:

I'm curious about conversion kits as well. It seems like the conversions themselves aren't too hard and there are a multitude of ways to work themselves in.

I'm not that wary of electrical upgrades necessary for a few reasons. That amount of electricity currently calculated to be necessary is significant, but isn't an amount that the US hasn't more or less done in the past when electricity consumption per capita was skyrocketing through parts of the mid to late 20th century and there are now many different economically viable pathways for generating electricity and there are new technologies that can improve distribution and redundancy (like large scale and local storage). The local storage component also coincides with large improvements to the core component of EVs which are batteries.

What's more, the uptake of EVs won't be as fast as some would hope as even though I think the adoption of plugin electric vehicles will be majority plugins for new vehicle sales by some time this decade, the median age of the US vehicle fleet is nearing 12 years and has been on a trend of getting older and older so even with a majority plugin by some time this decade, the time it'll take for majority adoption is going to be quite a bit longer. What's more, it's likely that EVs will gradually become more efficient. Right now we're talking about something like a 3 miles per kWh average, but there's a good chance that'll get higher for various reasons. Even getting it to a 4 mile per kWh average by the end of this decade means substantially less electricity consumed for each passenger-mile and within the next two years we're likely to see at least a couple of EVs that reach a 5 mile per kWh average.

I think what will be a good reference point are countries that through incentives pulled forward EV adoption rates by several years compared to US and how their grids have responded. Certainly Norway hasn't yet hit any significant road bumps so far and their policies very strongly pulled forward EVs. One thing to consider is that even with almost no EVs in the mix for the US right now, the US has more issues with power disruptions than almost any other developed country and the infrastructure issues the US has arguably stems from the US has not been doing great when it comes to maintaining and improving its infrastructure compared to other developed countries and needs to prioritize that soon regardless of how EV uptake does.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-17-2021 at 04:42 PM..

Old 01-18-2021, 05:41 AM

6,510 posts, read 3,196,981 times
Quote:

"Current" cars...............I see what you did there!!

Old 01-18-2021, 05:49 AM

226 posts, read 159,227 times
At present - state governments get revenue from gas taxes (my state Pa is one of the highest per gallon).

What will the states "tax" if/when EV's outnumber gas vehicles.

Get ready for "pay by miles driven" tax scheme (Big Brother gets closer) that can be tallied and billed at annual inspections.

Mass is banning NEW car sales.
There will be plenty of 2-3 yr old "Certified" Lease returns to choose from if you want a gasser.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:17 AM

6,717 posts, read 5,965,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDavid View Post
At present - state governments get revenue from gas taxes (my state Pa is one of the highest per gallon).

What will the states "tax" if/when EV's outnumber gas vehicles.

Get ready for "pay by miles driven" tax scheme (Big Brother gets closer) that can be tallied and billed at annual inspections.

Mass is banning NEW car sales.
There will be plenty of 2-3 yr old "Certified" Lease returns to choose from if you want a gasser.
This has been extensively discussed and debated here - the question of how to replace gasoline revenue.

Probably the roads and highways will have to be funded a different way - a value-added tax perhaps. Everyone benefits almost equally from the road system even if we don't drive; it's not like car-less people can live without ambulances, truck shipping, mail, and deliveries.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:21 AM

7,995 posts, read 3,524,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
When EV's have 1000 miles of range and competitive prices, this will all be moot. People will simply switch to EV's of their own accord.

Around that time, 10-15 years from now, self-driving cars will be a lot more common and that will be the big legal/social controversy, not fuel.

Of course, if global warming continues to advance, the world is supposed to end in 9 years (it was 11 years, two years ago, so I'm just doing the math here). So EVERYTHING will be moot. Live for today!!!!
As with electric cars today, self driving cars will only be a legal/social controversy if the government tries to force people to use them instead of letting people decide for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive