Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 06:12 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,723,656 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't be surprised if these bans eventually end up in the courts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 06:13 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,883,244 times
They won't even need it because electric will be cheaper to buy and drive by then.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:16 PM

32,694 posts, read 48,238,918 times
I hope California can figure out how to provide a steady source of electricity to all of California by then. Large areas of California get their electricity off sometimes for weeks at a time.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:19 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,723,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Like I said before, 50% of new vehicle sales will be electric by 2030.

While there will be a long tail of use of ICE cars after that, ridesharing will rapidly increase the % of miles driven that come from electric drivetrains.
I just don't see it. I own a Volt, but out of all of the Chevy dealerships within 100 miles of me, I can count on one hand the number of Bolts for sale. I have seen two other Volts on the road besides mine, and the occasional Tesla, but that's it.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:03 PM

8,370 posts, read 6,470,207 times
California can't even keep the lights on.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:12 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,754,475 times
I have nothing against EVs. We can afford and we might buy the best car Tesla offers one day. For my wife it would be the ideal vehicle if I drop dead before her because she has no idea how to maintain and care for an ICE car or SUV. She has a hard time changing batteries in a flashlight and she can't open the hood to check the oil in our Kona. But she knows hot to plug in a toaster - what else do you need to drive a Tesla?

The problem I have, the reason I posted this, in a metaphor: Filet mignon is terrific. I love it. But please, don't force it down my throat when I want something different.

Last edited by mgforshort; 01-04-2021 at 08:21 PM..

Old 01-04-2021, 08:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,769,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I have nothing against EVs. We can afford and we might buy the best car Tesla offers one day. For my wife it would be the ideal vehicle if I drop dead before her because she has no idea how to maintain and care for an ICE car or SUV. She has a hard time changing batteries in a flashlight and she can't open the hood to check the oil in our Kona. But she knows hot to plug in a toaster - what else do you need to drive a Tesla?

The problem I have, the reason I posted this, in a metaphor: Filet mignon is terrific. I love it. But please, don't force it down my throat when I want something different.
The problem with EV is that it's actually more complicated to own than ICE. Because we don't have any standards for charging EVs yet. Not to mention a charging station is very dangerous because it pumps gigawatts of electricity just to get the juice into the battery quicker.

Not to mention tire wear is faster, I know people who never change tires before they trade in their old cars. With EVs you have to get used to changing the tires out less than 30k miles.

Then there is the learning curve of how to drive economically and efficiently. If you drive an EV like a regular car it won't produce the advertise mileage.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:46 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,270,764 times
15 years is plenty of time for future legislatures to relax the timeline or carve out exceptions.

I think most run of the mill, family daily driver type cars will be mostly EVs by the 2030s - your sedans, compacts, hatchbacks, minivans, maybe some luxury platforms.

But there will still be gas niches - sports cars, pickups, off-roaders like Jeeps, some luxury ones focused on performance.

The overall impact of that on emissions will be significant, though, and worth it.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:52 AM

6,510 posts, read 3,196,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
The goal is novel but the politicians are morons and muck up everything.

Some people will click on your video and discount it because of the source WAY before actually researching its validity.
I know what you mean. I believe it's called "tunnel vision".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
Well sure, that's obvious. The hard part is accomplishing that in a vehicle large enough for a family of 4. Automakers already have a tough time doing that with an ICE so I'm not optimistic for it anytime soon.
I'm not so sure about that. My potential gripe about EVs, is their lack of range, although as I get older, my desire to take a "road trip" to either visit my extended family, or simply go on vacation, has diminished. It's rather ironic, as I now have all the free time that I'd need, but just don't have the desire, anymore.

To visit the relatives, in my home state, is a 320 mile trip, basically done in 6 hours. I haven't yet owned an ICE powered car, that couldn't make the trip, NON STOP. An EV car, probably not. HAVING to make a 30-60 minute stop, on such a short trip, is definitely a turn off.

In past discussions, I've mentioned that I used to travel to Myrtle Beach, SC, somewhat annually. It's an 825 mile trip from my home. We used to own a 1993 Chevy Caprice, a car that easily and reasonably comfortably could carry 4 people. (in response to a previous post mentioning that EVs don't have adequate passenger capacity) The car was equipped with a fuel injected 350 engine, backed by an overdrive transmission. With 2 of us, and luggage in the car, we could regularly see 25 MPG, and combined with a 25 gallon fuel tank, we easily could travel 600 miles, between fuel stops.

Therefore, if I wanted to, and my bladder was up to the task, the SC trip could be made with ONE, 5-10 minute stop to refuel, and take a "bio break". Can an EV do that???

Old 01-05-2021, 05:56 AM

20,192 posts, read 9,100,825 times
never happen, why listen to politicians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive