Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2021, 01:03 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times

Advertisements

Hey, let's end all tax penalties and subsidies for transportation.

Then we'll wind up with 85% electric traction rail transit... the most efficient form of land transportation.
And save a bundle on fossil fuels.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:04 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
So what's going to increase the demand of electric cars?
"Shipstones" (see: Robert A Heinlein)

Old 01-26-2021, 01:11 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,776,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Hey, let's end all tax penalties and subsidies for transportation.

Then we'll wind up with 85% electric traction rail transit... the most efficient form of land transportation.
And save a bundle on fossil fuels.
Yeah, because mass transit isn't heavily subsidized by government...

lol?

Old 01-26-2021, 01:15 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,226,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
No different than luxury cars right now, but that's changing. Ever see the resale value on a Tesla? Rivals Toyota.
Until the novelty wears off.

Most luxury cars are German and they don't hold on to the value because they fall apart and cost a fortune to repair.
Quote:
They are not lesser vehicles. You know that thread where you said mechanics are opinionated? Only true thing you've posted on this site since you got here.
Yes they are lesser cars. For instance I can serve my conventional vehicle, with no problem during a power outage. And electric cars are worthless. That makes them lesser. I can drive my conventional vehicle indefinitely without have to take time to recharge the battery that makes it superior
Quote:
for the average commuter, there ARE no drawbacks and many cost benefits.
Sure.
Quote:
Not in most places, and the number that do that are still in the EXTREME minority. You guys always use edge cases to denigrate EVs when MOST people won't have that issue.
Boohoo stop pointing out drawbacks

Last edited by Hankrigby; 01-26-2021 at 01:24 PM..

Old 01-26-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
"Shipstones" (see: Robert A Heinlein)
Sounds kind of like vibranium.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:21 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,657,017 times
I'll wait for the hydrogen fuel cell cars we were promised. Or those that fly through sky and fold up into a briefcase....

Seriously those worried about the planet should promote MASS TRANSIT, thats most bang for the buck. ICE vehicles for remote rural areas where MASS TRANSIT isnt economical.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I'll wait for the hydrogen fuel cell cars we were promised. Or those that fly through sky and fold up into a briefcase....
not me I'm waiting for teleportation. just as long as they can figure out how to keep me from becoming spliced with a fly.

Quote:
Seriously those worried about the planet should promote MASS TRANSIT, thats most bang for the buck. ICE vehicles for remote rural areas where MASS TRANSIT isnt economical.
moreover than that it would be really easy to make a fixed mass transport system Electric.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:37 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,172,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
As long as the demand stays low. This is a basic reality of economics is demand increases so will price.

Again only if the demand stays low.
Demand for televisions, laptops and cell phones have skyrocketed in the last two decades, yet prices have dropped drastically. "Basic reality" of supply and demand can be altered by technological advances.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Pretty big if. As people try them they really like them. You've never tried one of the modern ones so you have zero experience and zero knowledge of them. Since you say you WON'T try one, you need to shut up about them.
I have been a mechanic for 15 years if people want my advice and ask for it I'm going to give it to them. I advise them not to buy electric cars. People trust me because I'm knowledgeable in the field, plus I'm honest.

If this hurts the industry good maybe this should try a little harder. I find it amazing that people like me have this amount of effect on the field. But I'm glad to always steer people away from making bad decisions.

Quote:
You want to talk about opinions? Try going on a medical forum and claim that it's your OPINION that you can cure cancer by rubbing grape jelly on your chest and chanting. Good luck whining about how people are mad at you for simply having an opinion when they all bust your butt about that one.
I'm pretty knowledgeable in automotive field despite saying things that make you butt hurt. I am not knowledgeable in the medical field.

I do not care if you accept my opinion you don't have to.
Quote:
Two problems with that logic. Most people don't know about them or what exists out there, and people like you on the right tend to spout misinformation and BS about them so that buyers don't know what to think even if they DO hear about them. It'd be like if big screen LCD TVs were not advertised and then half the population claimed that they caused cancer and should never be bought and everyone should just stick with CRTs. That's how stupid some of you sound.
It's amazing this is a political issue with you that tells me you are not honest about it.

I tend to make fun of conspiracy theories that involve a vast right-wing conspiracy that magically controls knowledge. no the reason why these things aren't in demand is the reason why they fell out of favor in 1890. They are inferior products. If they weren't most people would be driving them. Unless I and the people that agree with me are some sort of magical force that controls information.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Demand for televisions, laptops and cell phones have skyrocketed in the last two decades, yet prices have dropped drastically. "Basic reality" of supply and demand can be altered by technological advances.
New tech has an initial high price mostly to pay off the research and development.

Electric cars are extremely old technology. The R&D on it was done 70 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive