Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2021, 12:50 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The 2021 F150 can do that now. Just run an extension cord into the house.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...power-onboard/

RAV4 Prime can do that as well along with a host of other vehicles that come with standard 120V outlets. Ratcheting things up a bit with something like this: https://www.rav4world.com/threads/us...plan-b.308959/

The V2G bit differs from just having 120V AC standard outlets and hews a bit more closely to what the RAV4 owner above is trying to do with one facet of it potentially being able to tap directly into your house's mains and power the outlets through there rather than unplugging your stuff from their house outlets and replugging them to extension cables you run out from your vehicle. I think the only place that I know of that's seriously trying that at any level has been Nissan in Japan, but no idea how well that's going.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:06 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Would think in general it will be better to use a battery bank ala the Power Wall. In general all the things going on to provide better batteries to cars will also impact the home. I would think for instance the Goodenough glass battery will have a very big impact on home storage. I expect it will be mostly combined with solar panels. And note there are some very significant difference between home and car use. For instance weight is not a big deal in the home application. So it is likely that can be used to develop cheaper storage in the home systems.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:23 PM

9,976 posts, read 5,672,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Would think in general it will be better to use a battery bank ala the Power Wall...
Obviously it would be better to have a dedicated battery backup that you keep in a state of full charge for guaranteed maximum capacity when it needs to be pressed into service, as you never know what state of charge your car will be in when there's an unplanned power outage. But there's something to be said for not having the redundant cost of a giant reserve battery bank in your basement or wherever and another one in your garage that can serve the same purpose when push comes to shove. The former makes more sense in places that have a lot of power outages, either planned or unplanned. For people on a more stable grid that goes down maybe once a year for a few hours, the latter seems a more plausible route.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Obviously it would be better to have a dedicated battery backup that you keep in a state of full charge for guaranteed maximum capacity when it needs to be pressed into service. But there's something to be said for not having the redundant cost of a giant reserve battery bank in your basement or wherever and another one in your garage that can serve the same purpose when push comes to shove.
Not the same thing. Very different requirements. I see no problem on most vehicles providing a 120 volt outlet. Be a useful convenience on occasion.

But the home system would need to be bigger and can weigh a lot more than an automotive system. And I expect it will often be integrated with solar panels. And the solar panels have a number of big improvements coming. Going to drop a large amount over the next five years.

Old 01-28-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Not the same thing. Very different requirements. I see no problem on most vehicles providing a 120 volt outlet. Be a useful convenience on occasion.
Yes actually it is the same thing. A battery bank is a battery bank is a battery bank -- it doesn't care if it's being used to power a fridge and a microwave or to fling a car down the road.

Quote:
But the home system would need to be bigger and can weigh a lot more than an automotive system. And I expect it will often be integrated with solar panels. And the solar panels have a number of big improvements coming. Going to drop a large amount over the next five years.
BEV battery packs run from 40kW up to 100KwH these days. 40Kw is more than enough to keep essentials like your fridge and some lights running for a couple days. 100kW should be enough to power your average household for 3 or 4 days even with no effort to conserve power.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Yes actually it is the same thing. A battery bank is a battery bank is a battery bank -- it doesn't care if it's being used to power a fridge and a microwave or to fling a car down the road.

BEV battery packs run from 40kW up to 100KwH these days. 40Kw is more than enough to keep essentials like your fridge and some lights running for a couple days. 100kW should be enough to power your average household for 3 or 4 days even with no effort to conserve power.
Not so. The battery packs for home and vehicle will tend to be very different.

My house uses about 108 KWH per day. So to keep every thing livable I would want about 450 KWH stored. And the primary use is heating. Well in excess of what is reasonable in an EV.

In a pinch we could get by with 225 KWH. But we want to keep the house heated for a couple of days with cold temperatures.

And we will likely deo that 3 or 4 years from now. There is too much good stuff coming to jump now.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:30 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't think so yet. Because the $25k CUV EV has yet to appear. Which Tesla could be announcing. The only thing is we just don't have the infrastructure yet to support 100k EVs on the road each state yet. It will likely cause blackouts in many cities.
This.

I had a 2015 Cherokee at the start of 2020 that I had already spent like $2k-$3k in 2019. After the car laid down on me on vacation seven hours from home Memorial Day weekend, I figured I had to do something once I got home. On top of the $400 repair at Myrtle Beach, the car went into limp mode in my local area a few weeks later close to the house. The PTU was gone, among other issues, and the total quote came to somewhere between $4k-$5k on top of previous repairs.

I hike a lot, fish and kayak some. During the summer, I'm always transporting tubes and other water sports stuff to/from the lake. I do some light off-roading. I sometimes drive off-road on dirt roads here in Appalachia going to hiking/herping/fishing spots. I recycle and haul trash from time to time.

I gave Tesla a look. I drove a Model S years ago and it was very compelling, and out of my budget.

Tesla has nothing for someone like me. A Model 3 doesn't have the ground clearance - I've seen many 4DR family sedans stuck in the national forest where my Forester has the ground clearance to get over the hills and rocks with relative ease. A Model Y could, but it's expensive and would I really want to take that car into these places?

Tesla needs a low-mid CRV/RAV4/Subaru type option.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Not so. The battery packs for home and vehicle will tend to be very different.
Different how? We already have battery packs for vehicles and for home backup systems, and they are essentially the same except maybe in size and form factor.

Quote:
My house uses about 108 KWH per day. So to keep every thing livable I would want about 450 KWH stored. And the primary use is heating. Well in excess of what is reasonable in an EV.

In a pinch we could get by with 225 KWH. But we want to keep the house heated for a couple of days with cold temperatures.

And we will likely deo that 3 or 4 years from now. There is too much good stuff coming to jump now.
Your household consumption is above the median household usage by nearly four-fold. For most households a Tesla car battery will get them through an emergency for several days.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:26 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times
With GM announcing that they will move to all or mostly electric by 2035, it certainly looks like that's where we're going. The Toyota Camrys of the world, the typical minivans & car-platform-based SUVs that stay on the road most of the time of the world will be all-electric.

There will still be gas cars for those who do any kind of off-roading & outdoor activities of that nature, people who need to tow, etc.. but they will become more niche. We'll still have gas pickups, more serious SUVs, and some sports cars like the Mustang for which ICE + manual is an option (automatics will go electric). Typical daily-drivers and such will be electric. Eventually the technology will improve enough and become affordable enough that lighter duty trucks and SUVs will become electric too.

Goodbye manual transmission. I suspect that by the time I'm old, only professional drivers like truckers and racers will know how to drive manual.

Last edited by redguard57; 01-28-2021 at 09:40 PM..

Old 01-28-2021, 10:56 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
I know exactly one person who bought a EV. They were stranded twice when it couldnt make it home. Until the day where they have 5 minute charging stations and the ev can do exactly or more than what my current vehicles can AND they design a EV drivetrain swap I will stick to ICE.

Now if they design a EV drivetrain that is efficient I’ll swap my drivetrains. I actually like my cars. I dont want a new car. If the swap can be kept under 10 k for the complete system I woild be down with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive