Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2021, 09:21 PM

636 posts, read 327,957 times

Advertisements

Sure, how many booster stations?

Old 01-27-2021, 09:06 AM

44,347 posts, read 20,047,057 times
This thread has been cleaned up of recent bickering and personal attacks. People, please refrain from attacking one another and please stay on topic. This is the Automotive forum; keep your posts relevant to automotive vehicles. If the thread goes awry again it will be permanently closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-27-2021 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-27-2021, 10:03 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I suspect it's going to become political, just like wearing a mask. People on the left will only want EVs, people on the right will only want gas burners, and then you have those of us left in the middle that buys the right vehicle for our situation no matter which type.
Broad strokes and stereotypes don't always fit every picture. I'm a right leaning conservative. I have been driving a Volt since 2014 and LOVE it. Before that I had a hybrid Civic. I have solar on my house since 2016 (one of the few in my mostly liberal neighborhood). I just bought a new electric bike (for fun) and have all battery powered lawn maintenance equipment (again, rare sight in my neighborhood). Our next CUV will be EV or PHEV to replace an aging minivan.

I have conservative friends joining me in this movement as well. I'm excited about the EV/alternative fuel future, but I do not want to see an outright ban of fossil fueled vehicles. I hope that consumers can make a choice and not be forced into it.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:15 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Electric Vehicles Close to ‘Tipping Point’ of Mass Adoption

Starting to look that way. No, it won't be 100% and ICE motors won't be extinct. But the train has left the station and it ain't coming back; automakers are just about fully invested in EV's now.

"Global sales rose 43% in 2020, but even faster growth is anticipated when continuing falls in battery prices bring the price of electric cars dipping below that of equivalent petrol and diesel models, even without subsidies. The latest analyses forecast that to happen some time between 2023 and 2025."

When "peak oil" happens it won't be due to declining production, it'll be from declining demand.
I think we are getting close, but it's still another product engineering cycle (5 years) at least before EVs are really making heavy inroads in the USA. We still need better (cheaper/higher-density) batteries, more widespread DC-fast charging stations, and more cost-competitive vehicles. Definitely getting there though...

Old 01-27-2021, 01:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Broad strokes and stereotypes don't always fit every picture. I'm a right leaning conservative. I have been driving a Volt since 2014 and LOVE it. Before that I had a hybrid Civic. I have solar on my house since 2016 (one of the few in my mostly liberal neighborhood). I just bought a new electric bike (for fun) and have all battery powered lawn maintenance equipment (again, rare sight in my neighborhood). Our next CUV will be EV or PHEV to replace an aging minivan.

I have conservative friends joining me in this movement as well. I'm excited about the EV/alternative fuel future, but I do not want to see an outright ban of fossil fueled vehicles. I hope that consumers can make a choice and not be forced into it.
Agreed. The politics nonsense is unnecessary.

Really, I think's simply about economics. Once EVs reach a point where they are not only affordable for the masses, but perform at levels comparable to or better than ICE vehicles and match or exceed ICE levels of reliability, we'll pass that tipping point.

As of right now, a new EV is still too expensive for the average new car buyer. Used car buyers are essentially priced out of the market. What's more, is that performance still lags behind ICE vehicles in most aspects (range, cold weather longevity, etc.). In theory, reliability and maintenance seems to be a win for EVs already, but it's a new field relative to the 100+ years of ICE development and maintenance. The devil you know and such...

If/when we get to a point that EVs have not only a similar price tag, but also a comparable feature set to their ICE peers, the shift will quicken. Performance will be the key, however. We already know that EVs have major advantages in the torque and acceleration; but range and cold weather performance is problematic still. It doesn't matter if you can buy an EV pickup for the same price as an ICE F150 if towing a snowmobile trailer in February 150 miles isn't possible. The ICE will be the choice every time. But if there's a negligible difference in performance (combined with the other advantages of the EV), you'll see a shift toward the EVs. Politics has nothing to do with it.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:45 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
The EV is actually better than the ICE overall. The range capability is headed toward EV superiority as we speak. The new refurb of the Tesla S features 520 miles. And the Goodenough glass battery is being scaled into production and will likely dominate the market come 2023. It is cheaper, lighter, very long lived and will not burn. And not burning will be a significant advantage over ICE.

So a couple of years to get the volume up and the price down and EV will be lower in cost to an equivalent ICE.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:54 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Actually, EV's will help avoid blackouts. Here in California we often have surplus electricity around high noon due to large amounts of solar power production. EVs can help sponge up that excess and in effect become rolling storage. In future emergencies, utilities will be able to draw power from car batteries back into the grid. It's called Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) and manufacturers are designing that capability into new models. The grid will need to be updated and expanded, yes, but the transition will be manageable.
so when the power goes out in your home....... you can hook your car up to it to run the AC and the refrigerator and TV?

Old 01-28-2021, 11:21 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
so when the power goes out in your home....... you can hook your car up to it to run the AC and the refrigerator and TV?
EVs aren't designed to do that specifically, but it wouldn't be technically difficult to engineer them to act as reserve batteries for your home or your campsite or whatever. In the meantime you can get an inverter to hook up to your EV's 12-volt battery terminals to get up to 1kW of power or so. Not enough to run your entire house but enough for some essentials like your fridge and your PC and a couple lights.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:41 PM

37,122 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
EVs aren't designed to do that specifically, but it wouldn't be technically difficult to engineer them to act as reserve batteries for your home or your campsite or whatever. In the meantime you can get an inverter to hook up to your EV's 12-volt battery terminals to get up to 1kW of power or so. Not enough to run your entire house but enough for some essentials like your fridge and your PC and a couple lights.

Yep, that's what friends of mine did when their neighborhood in Long Island lost power, but their workplace and chargers there still had power. They basically just ferreted power back to their homes to run the essentials for a bit.

If it was to be done in a more official capacity of such, the vehicle would need to be able to provide that much of power out and the home needs to be able to switch off from the grid completely. One thing people are surprised by when they get solar panels is that it doesn't necessarily mean they can't have blackouts affect them--for that to happen, their homes need to be able to switch on and off from the grid and generally best paired with some kind of stationary storage (like a really big battery which an EV can provide).

Old 01-28-2021, 12:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
The 2021 F150 can do that now. Just run an extension cord into the house.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...power-onboard/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive