Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2021, 08:27 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times

Advertisements

BTW, last week my wife drove our Bolt from here in Baltimore up to Preston, CT (over in eastern CT near Norwich) with two quick charging stops (colder weather meant winter range of 180 miles per charge) to visit our kids and grandkids. Used DC Fast Chargers by Electrify America. It did add an hour of time to her 6 1/2 hour trip, but she did work on her laptop for her business while waiting. Then she came home by the same route. Today she went back up there with warmer weather range and can make it with just one 30 minute stop. There are a couple fast chargers near the kid's house, so she can top off and drive all over CT that way (the kids only have a 110 outlet at the garage so it does take forever to charge using that).

It's really not an issue to roadtrip all over with this car now (there are fast chargers along the route to her brother's house in Greenville TN so she can go down there and visit, too). And if we wanted to take that car to Disney World, we can, too.

2021 Bolts are now available to lease through Costco for as little as $149 a month with zero down. Or purchase for $20k for an optioned LT with zero government tax credits. I don't know what anybody wants as far as pricing for a well equipped new car with 200 hp, but that seems quite competitive with ICE cars of the same class and equipment level.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:18 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I agree - I mean, EVs already offer numerous advantages today, not just the feel-good environmental benefits, but they're significantly quieter, accelerate much better and corner flatter, plus they have lower "fuel" cost and lower maintenance cost, so, cheaper to operate. It won't take too much more development before they are a compelling mainstream choice.
Yep, we love our Model Y and believe it's the best vehicle we've ever owned but there is a sharp curve of Ev's getting better and cheaper....the best is yet to come. I think mass adoption wil occur much sooner than the average person realizes and we need the utilities to make the adjustment starting yesterday.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:56 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yep, we love our Model Y and believe it's the best vehicle we've ever owned but there is a sharp curve of Ev's getting better and cheaper....the best is yet to come. I think mass adoption wil occur much sooner than the average person realizes and we need the utilities to make the adjustment starting yesterday.
GM is rolling out its Ultium EV platform in high end marques like Hummer and Cadillac within a year, and they will migrate it down to the Chevy line within a few years. Moreover Honda will be introducing some vehicles based on the Ultium platform as well in 3-4 years through a collaboration with GM - which should help both companies in terms of sharing development costs. Toyota at least *plans* to introduce EVs with an advanced solid-state battery in about 4 years... and of course other automakers - I am not going to review them all... but the landscape will be a lot different in another 4-5 years with solid choices that are fairly affordable from a number of automakers.

You're right that utilities will need to add capacity and power plants are big, expensive projects that take time to plan, get approvals and construct. Everyone knows this is coming though, so I imagine that utilities will be ready to meet the demand as the need arises. For them it's an opportunity to grow their business.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:25 AM

861 posts, read 865,230 times
The benefits depend on how many miles you drive. The Catch-22 is those that would benefit the most-personally and society-are the high mileage drivers that do 15-20k miles a year. And those are the ones that an EV would run into problems with charging time and locations. Someone driving 5-10k miles a year would never come close to breaking even on an EV or hybrid.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:35 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
The benefits depend on how many miles you drive. The Catch-22 is those that would benefit the most-personally and society-are the high mileage drivers that do 15-20k miles a year. And those are the ones that an EV would run into problems with charging time and locations. Someone driving 5-10k miles a year would never come close to breaking even on an EV or hybrid.
You do save considerable money on maintenance and repairs... and even an EV with a 250 mile range, which is a typical base level today, is plenty for commuting for someone who has a longer commute and drives 15-20K miles annually. I have been working from home during the pandemic, but it's a 76 mile commuting roundtrip to Cambridge for me in normal times, and that commuting alone adds up to nearly 20K miles per year... I was driving about 24K miles per year.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:06 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Quote:
It's not the per-year it's the per-day that matters.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
20k a year is only an average of 54.8 miles a day (7 days a week). And even with a car like my Bolt, that's an easy number to cover as it gets 250+ miles to a charge on average (180-200 in the winter and 250-300 in the summer).

the average mileage of a car, new or used, is 12-15k per year (which is why when buying a used car anything under than mileage is considered low miles, and anything over that average is considered high mileage) Most people drive no more than 33 miles a day (which is 12k miles per year).

But here's my Bolt taking a 750 mile round trip journey in 35 degree weather as I mentioned in my last post:

Seriously these cars, at around $20-25k purchase price (with no government incentives) can work for most people as daily drivers.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:11 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
The early Bolt used batteries by LG Chem, but they were a bit different than the LG Chem ones in Hyundais, though the early Bolts did get recalled to fix a software issue that could cause a fire (5 cars did catch fire). The later Bolts had completely different batteries (made in the US instead of South Korea) with different construction and have no issues with causing dendrites in the battery packs, thus no fires and no recalls.
They had to recall 82,000 vehicles and GM will probably have to recall theirs.

Quote:
170,000 gas cars burn down every year in the US alone. You shouldn't buy a gas car unless you're willing to take the risk. Amirite? I mean, you're driving a rolling bomb.
but is it because of the electrical components in it? How much of it is arson? How much of it is because the engine just burst into flames?

Quote:
BTW, I was a passenger in a gas car that burst into flame and burned down while going down the road, nearly killing me. I had 3rd degree burns to both legs and the side of my face, so I'm a bit sensitive to car fires. I'll take my chances with the considerably safer EVs for daily driving.
You're anecdote doesn't make any point.

Quote:
I"m getting a little tired of your lack of knowledge when it comes to EVs.
I only stated Hyundai recalled 82,000 vehicles.

And I advise people with those vehicles to look into it. I think what you really mean to say is you hate my criticisms of electric cars because your emotionally involved in it.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
but is it because of the electrical components in it? How much of it is arson? How much of it is because the engine just burst into flames?
Arson? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Most burn down because gas gets on a hot engine, and sometimes it's because of an electrical short around gasoline. They burn down because all of them have gasoline in them!

Quote:
You're anecdote doesn't make any point.
It's talking about the risk we all take when we get in a gasoline car. It's MUCH higher than in an EV. MUCH!

Quote:
And I advise people with those vehicles to look into it. I think what you really mean to say is you hate my criticisms of electric cars because your emotionally involved in it.
No, I hate people who spread misinformation about ALL vehicles.

Last edited by cvetters63; 03-07-2021 at 06:02 PM..

Old 03-07-2021, 05:53 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
I only drive my Volt about 5k miles a year, and it currently only has 23k miles on it (it's a 2014). I do worry the battery may 'age out' before I ever accumulate higher milaege. I need to drive it more I guess, just so I can get my money's worth out of it.

I don't think we know just yet what the life expectancy of lithium ion automotive batteries will be. And I'm talking about age, not miles. I know they are capable of 200k+ miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive