Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Anyone Still Believe BEVs won't be 50% of New Car Sales by 2030?
Yes, I am still in denial 83 62.41%
No, you were right along Ze 50 37.59%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 11:02 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,230,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Woof, wrong answers from snout to tail there. You have tried and true methods whether at a small scale or a utility scale for converting gasoline or diesel into electricity.
For hundreds of billions maybe even trillions of dollars yes but why?

The next line in your post was absurd to the extreme so I didn't respond to anything after that.

Old 03-13-2022, 11:08 PM

37,226 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post

The next line in your post was absurd to the extreme so I didn't respond to anything after that.

You think diesel generators cost hundreds of billions maybe even trillions of dollars? Hrm, I've got a bridge you might be interested in, and you can have it for an incredible price!

Old 03-13-2022, 11:20 PM

Quote:
You think diesel generators
What in the hell are you talking about did you read the post you responded to?

Old 03-13-2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Woof, wrong answers from snout to tail there. You have tried and true methods whether at a small scale or a utility scale for converting gasoline or diesel into electricity.
Quote:

Quote:
What in the hell are you talking about did you read the post you responded to?

Yep, that's the chain right there. You pared down my post to just about converting gasoline or diesel into electricity and responded about hundreds of billions maybe even trillions of dollars.

I know you sometimes have reading comprehension issues and you just gave another great example of it with your reply to jetgraphics, but do you have that issue even with your own posts? How do write them then?

Old 03-14-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Yep, that's the chain right there.
I was talking about infrastructure and you were complaining about diesel you had no statement to my post at all.
Quote:
You pared down my post to just about converting gasoline or diesel into electricity and responded about hundreds of billions maybe even trillions of dollars.
I don't know where you got that idea so I deleted everything after that because it had nothing to do with what I said.

If you don't want me to chop out chunks of your post make it relevant and I won't.
Quote:
I know you sometimes have reading comprehension issues
You're calling the kettle black here aren't you.

Old 04-06-2022, 02:08 PM

https://insideevs.com/news/578241/gl...-february2022/

Global plug-in new vehicle sales in February reached 9.3% market share with 6.4% BEV and 2.9% PHEV. Since generally the start of the year over the past few years have started with lower plugin shares and generally reaching a peak in December, then it's a pretty sure bet that the overall year is going to have global plugin sales get to double digit percentages. This bodes pretty well with what I've been saying about some point in 2023 having the US reach double digit plugin share. Things are pretty well set up for that as several recent BEV releases this year are spending the rest of this year ramping up production volume, several vehicles already released in Europe are likely to start sales here this year, several new releases are coming up including a notable electric entry from Ford in the best-selling F-150 line, several PHEVs got or are getting revamps to actually have useful electric-only ranges, and the US market EV leader, Tesla, is opening and ramping up production at a new factory in Texas.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:05 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,676,553 times
Has Tesla turned a profit yet?

Old 04-06-2022, 07:01 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,389,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Has Tesla turned a profit yet?
Of course - Tesla recorded $5.5 Billion in profits in 2021.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:26 PM

19,064 posts, read 13,995,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Of course - Tesla recorded $5.5 Billion in profits in 2021.
Tesla will probably surpass GM this year. The big guys waited too long to get on the bus. Ford will definitely stay top dog if the Lightning pans out though.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-06-2022, 10:10 PM

13,664 posts, read 9,738,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The question is simple: do you believe that energy consumption per capita will go UP or DOWN by switching to BEVs.
That depends entirely on how energy is used to generate eletricity in the national electric grid. Given the American penchant for inefficient practices, it may be entirely possible, that an EV fleet would have a larger cumulative energy footprint, than an ICE fleet.

Quote:
Do you think the cost to buy and operate a BEV will be HIGHER or LOWER than ICE vehicles.
Ultimately EV will be much lower than ICE. Why? Parts-count, complexity and reliability. Simply put, a full EV has fewer parts to go wrong, than either an ICE vehicle or a hybrid. A large part of the case for EVs is their comparative robustness and simplicity. Another part of the case is good acceleration and overall performance.

EVs have the potential to be fun to drive, economical cars for the end-user. That - and not environmentalism or energy efficiency - is the principal case behind them.

Quote:
Do you think that it is advisable to shift to electric traction rail and reduce energy consumption per capita?
Emphatically no. Absolutely not! Even if rail consumed zero energy, had zero environmental impact, and cost zero to build and to operate, it would still be a failure in most of America. Population density and layout of housing and infrastructure simply doesn't support mass transit. The only viable kind of mass transit is high-speed, namely aircraft. And electric aircraft are far, far away from viability.

Quote:
... Meanwhile, the cost to those benefits are plummeting in terms of cost per kWh and your talk about dead weight of batteries when not in use, while an important negative factor for road vehicles, is barely a blip for rail vehicles because rail has an incredibly low rolling resistance so adding weight does little to change the efficiency. ...
Actually, the case for battery-powered locomotives is even stronger. A local acquaintance is doing a battery locomotive start-up company. He notes that locomotives NEED weight, to properly pull the mile of freight-cars behind them. He finds considerable promise in recycling old, discarded EV batteries, which are down some 50% in their energy capacity, but which are just fine as stack upon stack upon stack of weight in a locomotive.

I see a bright future in battery powered freight trains, replacing diesels, and possibly replacing some of the over-the-road long-haul trucking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive