Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Anyone Still Believe BEVs won't be 50% of New Car Sales by 2030?
Yes, I am still in denial 83 62.41%
No, you were right along Ze 50 37.59%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 05:46 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
What kind of security is present, in the building that you're referring to? Beyond the insane inconvenience of having to move your car off the charger, in the middle of the night, what might the car's owner face, by being in the building's parking garage at that hour? Is the garage TOTALLY isolated from the outside, or are there just "traffic gates" that keep cars out, but would allow "questionable characters" easy access to the garage?
The garage entrance looks about as secure as any garage entrance in a big city. I don't think security is a problem.

I assume that a condo that was beginning sales today where average unit was selling for over half a million would have a plug at every parking spot for residents where they could hook up 240V service. But this building began sales 20 years ago (May 11, 2002).

The funeral for the electric at Hollywood Forever Cemetery on July 24, 2003 was held as a protest to General Motors decision to terminate all EV1 leases and crush the electric cars. So obviously this building was not built with electric service to the individual lots.

My takeaway is that it is not going to be convenient to own an EV for residents of an urban high rise who range from upper middle class to rich. I think it is ludicrous to believe a significant percentage of the true middle class who rents or lives in a condo are going to adopt EVs instead of gasoline vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Does Anyone Still Believe BEVs won't be 50% of New Car Sales by 2030?-screenshot-2022-05-03-07-26  

Old 05-03-2022, 05:58 AM

19,029 posts, read 13,937,683 times
The solution for parking garages already exists, especially for condos/coops with private ownership and a board. The board simply has to agree to install 240v outlets, much cheaper than dedicated, branded chargers and nearly as fast. This is the setup many homeowners are using in their garages (me) without any complaints and its not very expensive. Multi-millionaire high-rise condo owners can certainly afford it for their dedicated parking spaces, which alone are separate investments to them in many cases (my sister paid $150,000 for hers).

It is apartments (and even private homes) with no dedicated off-street parking that will remain a major issue for EV conversion unless the municipality approves curbside installation of outlets. That is certainly a much tougher nut to crack in the short term.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-03-2022, 07:55 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The solution for parking garages already exists, especially for condos/coops with private ownership and a board. The board simply has to agree to install 240v outlets, much cheaper than dedicated, branded chargers and nearly as fast. This is the setup many homeowners are using in their garages (me) without any complaints and its not very expensive. Multi-millionaire high-rise condo owners can certainly afford it for their dedicated parking spaces, which alone are separate investments to them in many cases (my sister paid $150,000 for hers).

It is apartments (and even private homes) with no dedicated off-street parking that will remain a major issue for EV conversion unless the municipality approves curbside installation of outlets. That is certainly a much tougher nut to crack in the short term.
It's refreshing to read some common sense here.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:00 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
I find the debate here on CityData is often (not always) pretty polarized, with opponents saying that this is crazy, it'll never work, and advocates refusing to acknowledge any reasons why everyone isn't replacing all their ICE vehicles with EVs today. I suppose the general backdrop of CityData is that there are a lot of contrarians though - some people look for points of agreement to acknowledge while others look for points of disagreement to focus on :-).

I do think EVs are the future. It's not going to be like throwing a switch though - hasn't been yet and won't be tomorrow. You need maturation of the technology and the associated infrastructure, and a culture change in consumers. All of these things are happening over time though, and I think there's a good chance that EVs will make up 50% of new vehicle sales by 2030.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 05-03-2022 at 09:15 AM..

Old 05-03-2022, 04:11 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Common sense is paying 150 grand to install a charger for an EV? That's 6 figures, not 15 grand. She sounds pretty wealthy, glad she thinks she's saving the planet with her car but I bet you 10:1 her home/apartment/whatever has a worse than average carbon footprint. That poster's sister does not have common sense. But obviously she can do whatever she wants, not my business what she drives or spends money on.

Also, I lived in Los Angeles in about a 30 year old apartment building. No way in hell would chargers ever work in that garage. Now imagine how many apartments there are like that in L.A., not to mention other places. I mean, no way in HELL would it work. And landlords ain't gonna be paying for it, sorry, even if it were possible in my situation.

Old 05-03-2022, 05:57 PM

I’m not responding to this person, but I’m sure you others reading this thread have laughed out loud as well. Reading comprehension lacks in some, especially when they allow quick emotional responses to cloud their judgment. It’s a common issue with this particular poster. It is what it is. Funny as hell though.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-03-2022, 07:53 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Common sense is paying 150 grand to install a charger for an EV? That's 6 figures, not 15 grand. She sounds pretty wealthy, glad she thinks she's saving the planet with her car but I bet you 10:1 her home/apartment/whatever has a worse than average carbon footprint. That poster's sister does not have common sense. But obviously she can do whatever she wants, not my business what she drives or spends money on.

Also, I lived in Los Angeles in about a 30 year old apartment building. No way in hell would chargers ever work in that garage. Now imagine how many apartments there are like that in L.A., not to mention other places. I mean, no way in HELL would it work. And landlords ain't gonna be paying for it, sorry, even if it were possible in my situation.

There is not such a thing as free lunch? Nothing is free, and as it nowadays places like CA, NYC, and even Alaska already have the highest cost of living in the nation. To retrofit older apartment buildings today cost a fortune. If the landlord has the cash to do it, then he has to pas the cost to the tenants, but he's only going to do it if there is a profit, not at a loss. The parking areas have to be completely secure, otherwise outsiders will steal electricity by charging their vehicles there. In fact, a landlord would have to "meter" the electrical use by each tenant.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

There is not such a thing as free lunch? Nothing is free, and as it nowadays places like CA, NYC, and even Alaska already have the highest cost of living in the nation. To retrofit older apartment buildings today cost a fortune. If the landlord has the cash to do it, then he has to pas the cost to the tenants, but he's only going to do it if there is a profit, not at a loss.
Ugh don’t allow an intentionally obtuse person who completely misunderstood a post wrap you into it as well.

We were talking about CONDOS. People OWN condos. Further, we were talking about OWNED parking spots in private garages that people PAY for like they do the CONDO. These parking spots are huge investments in CONDO buildings. They cost around $150,000 here in NYC.

Anyone with an ounce of operational brain matter knows thats under no conditions does a private EV charging install cost $150,000.

Cue the end of my post where I wrote that apartments and those without off street parking will remain a major issue.

Please, don’t let a poster like that ruin another conversation.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:10 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Ugh don’t allow an intentionally obtuse person who completely misunderstood a post wrap you into it as well.

We were talking about CONDOS. People OWN condos. Further, we were talking about OWNED parking spots in private garages that people PAY for like they do the CONDO. These parking spots are huge investments in CONDO buildings. They cost around $150,000 here in NYC.

Anyone with an ounce of operational brain matter knows thats under no conditions does a private EV charging install cost $150,000.

Cue the end of my post where I wrote that apartments and those without off street parking will remain a major issue.

Please, don’t let a poster like that ruin another conversation.
Got it. When living in NY I parked on the streets. I was agreeing with your previous post

Old 05-04-2022, 01:40 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
I didn't realize that was possible to do the wiring to individual meters. I thought the best you could do would be like this image from Chargepoint showing their branded chargers at individual spaces. If you have a good link I would appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Does Anyone Still Believe BEVs won't be 50% of New Car Sales by 2030?-chargepoint_hoa_yes.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive