Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 08:33 AM

9,520 posts, read 9,841,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
The biggest problem I see with Rivian is the lack of a dedicated sales and service network.
The biggest problem I see with the R1T is the price. I believe its a terrific EV, but it's priced for a niche consumer at over $70k. Looking forward to future Rivian vehicles that the general population can afford.

As for the F150 Lightning, if Ford can really deliver it at around $41k (then $30k ish with tax rebate), then they won't be able to make them fast enough. They already have over 165k pre-orders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 08:34 AM

12,519 posts, read 9,606,846 times
Default Rivian Runs the Trans - America Trail

The above article also references Motor Trend's running of the Trans - America Trail, over 5,000 miles of off-roading across much of the the country in the R1T. Motor Trend has definitely done their homework on it.

Part I of the TAT (off)road trip
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...rail-off-road/

Part II of the TAT (off)road trip
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...f-road-part-2/

TAT homepage
https://www.transamtrail.com/

Old 11-11-2021, 08:40 AM

30,452 posts, read 19,224,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The biggest problem I see with the R1T is the price. I believe its a terrific EV, but it's priced for a niche consumer at over $70k. Looking forward to future Rivian vehicles that the general population can afford.

As for the F150 Lightning, if Ford can really deliver it at around $41k (then $30k ish with tax rebate), then they won't be able to make them fast enough. They already have over 165k pre-orders.
Yeah but it has the luxury, look, performance, etc. to justify that high price. To be fair, if a new automaker like Rivian sold a truck in the $40K range, they couldn't make enough of them. I do agree that Rivian will need to have some lower priced vehicles at some point in time.

It is shocking how much Rivian was valued at the IPO.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:12 AM

12,519 posts, read 9,606,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah but it has the luxury, look, performance, etc. to justify that high price. To be fair, if a new automaker like Rivian sold a truck in the $40K range, they couldn't make enough of them. I do agree that Rivian will need to have some lower priced vehicles at some point in time.

It is shocking how much Rivian was valued at the IPO.
The way that I think of it is that for the time-being, EVs can't compete on price, due mainly to the cost of the large lithium ion battery system. So rather than trying to compete in the value-priced market - where they'd likely fail or sell vehicles at a loss, Tesla and now Rivian have decided to make their case with buyers instead on technical excellence that can match or exceed that of premium ICE vehicles - a market segment where they can make a profit. Over time, battery prices will fall, and the "EV premium" will disappear and EVs will be more compelling in the low/moderate priced segment.

Old 11-11-2021, 12:34 PM

30,452 posts, read 19,224,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The way that I think of it is that for the time-being, EVs can't compete on price, due mainly to the cost of the large lithium ion battery system. So rather than trying to compete in the value-priced market - where they'd likely fail or sell vehicles at a loss, Tesla and now Rivian have decided to make their case with buyers instead on technical excellence that can match or exceed that of premium ICE vehicles - a market segment where they can make a profit. Over time, battery prices will fall, and the "EV premium" will disappear and EVs will be more compelling in the low/moderate priced segment.
Yeah I think this is the exact calculation they took. My Model Y is priced lower than comparable ICE crossovers so it can compete with the best ICE comparables on price. It's the best o performance, fuel efficiency, tech, and safety in its price category but below comparable ICE vehicles in luxury feel, suspension, and sound insulation.

Batteries make t impossible to manufacture a cheap EV vehicle currently but I think it's only a matter of time for that.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:58 AM

37,208 posts, read 39,488,121 times
Brand new generation Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road versus Rivian R1T going through the snow (though both could use more appropriate tires):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP0rHTiCKQ8

Rivian R1T obviously performs a lot better than even the TRD Off Road, but it's not like the Tundra as a whole is a particularly rugged off roader even if off road is in the trim name. It'd be more interesting to see the Rivian R1T take on some champs like the Wrangler or Defender.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:19 PM

7,398 posts, read 3,550,268 times
I hate hate hate hate the trend of just slapping a giant tablet in the middle of the dashboard. It looks so freaking stupid.

the front of it looks comical

Old 01-23-2022, 04:38 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,221,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah I think this is the exact calculation they took. My Model Y is priced lower than comparable ICE crossovers so it can compete with the best ICE comparables on price. It's the best o performance, fuel efficiency, tech, and safety in its price category but below comparable ICE vehicles in luxury feel, suspension, and sound insulation.

Batteries make t impossible to manufacture a cheap EV vehicle currently but I think it's only a matter of time for that.
It is possible that it is not only sound insulation, but vehicle insulation. I could be wrong, of course, but I would thing that greater insulation below the battery and floor pan, and also all around the interior of the vehicle, aids with maintaining a more comfortable cabin temperature and less strain one the battery. In cold environments, the greater the amount of insulation between the interior and exterior of the vehicle (or house), the less fuel or electrical power that is needed.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:07 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,221,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Brand new generation Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road versus Rivian R1T going through the snow (though both could use more appropriate tires):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP0rHTiCKQ8

Rivian R1T obviously performs a lot better than even the TRD Off Road, but it's not like the Tundra as a whole is a particularly rugged off roader even if off road is in the trim name. It'd be more interesting to see the Rivian R1T take on some champs like the Wrangler or Defender.
I don't think one performs better than the other. In reality:

a. When the tires of the vehicle in front create a trail for the vehicle behind, the latter has a small advantage over the first.

b. The Rivian's height can be increased over the fixed height of the Tundra, which in turn gives it an advantage over deep snow (more ground clearance)

c. The Rivian tire treads are more aggressive than the tire treads of the Tundra. The more aggressive treads gives it advantage for deep-snow driving.

d. Two drivers cannot drive exactly the same way, not even in two identical trucks. Not even twins have the same level of driving experience. The vehicles aren't being driven exactly at the same speed, nor over the same wheel tracks and road conditions.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:05 PM

37,208 posts, read 39,488,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I don't think one performs better than the other. In reality:

a. When the tires of the vehicle in front create a trail for the vehicle behind, the latter has a small advantage over the first.

b. The Rivian's height can be increased over the fixed height of the Tundra, which in turn gives it an advantage over deep snow (more ground clearance)

c. The Rivian tire treads are more aggressive than the tire treads of the Tundra. The more aggressive treads gives it advantage for deep-snow driving.

d. Two drivers cannot drive exactly the same way, not even in two identical trucks. Not even twins have the same level of driving experience. The vehicles aren't being driven exactly at the same speed, nor over the same wheel tracks and road conditions.

I think it's pretty clear one performs better than the other, but that's fine.

a. they take turns leading

b. the Rivian's height being adjustable and having a very high max clearance along with other important geometry for off-roading isn't a side point--that's intrinsic to the vehicle, so saying this is basically just listing that, yea, the Rivian has better specs for off-roading

c. eh, are they? Neither are really geared towards snow

d. Right, driver experience matters a lot, and if you watch TFL at all or even from that video, Andre driving the Rivian is the less experienced off-roading driver of the two whereas Roman driving the Tundra generally coaches him through any tough points
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive