Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2021, 06:44 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Why would the generator need to be more massive? Explain

Huh?

Why do you need a big engine to produce rpm?
34 HP is not enough horsepower to power a 7,000 pound truck. It's not even enough to power a 3,000 pound car. With a 15,000 pound combined truck and trailer, you'd need something akin to the power of a typical Chevy/Ford crate V8 or a pair of 1300 cc Hayabusa engines, not a 34 HP rickshaw engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2021, 06:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Depends on the vehicle.

The small battery pack on the Rivian R1T is 135 kwh. Not sure if that's usable or not but at any rate it's about, to put that in a number most of us understand, 4 gallons of gasoline worth of energy. There's some pumping losses to put the energy in the tank. Call it 4.4 gallons of energy.

I think simplifying it like that for him is going to be to his (edit: and yours!) detriment because he's not going to understand that's without talking about efficiency in converting that into electricity and further efficiency losses from having even greater weight to lug or that the gallon of gasoline's energy doesn't factor in the oxygen used in combustion since we essentially get it for free from the air. The more you explain, the less it makes sense as there's no end to circling that drain.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-29-2021 at 07:36 PM..

Old 10-29-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think simplifying it like that for him is going to be his detriment because he's not going to understand that's without talking about efficiency in converting that into electricity and further efficiency losses from having even greater weight to lug or that the gallon of gasoline's energy doesn't factor in the oxygen used in combustion since we essentially get it for free from the air. The more you explain, the less it makes sense as there's no end to circling that drain.
Probably true.

Counter point to why ya'll puttin' in 1,800 pounds of batteray in them EVays for iffin theys only store 4 gallons gas?

Old 10-29-2021, 07:11 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,221,791 times
Quote:
34 HP is not enough horsepower to power a 7,000 pound truck.
It wouldn't be powering the truck the drive motors would be. A generator would just generate electricity to charge the battery

Old 10-29-2021, 07:20 PM

34 HP is 34 HP. There's no magification button that amplifies 34 HP through a battery pack to make it 340 HP, which is about what you'd need to moving around a 15,000 pound or so combined vehicle/trailer weight.

Think of the battery as a bath tub. You need to take out around two cups of water a minute from the drain to power the wheels (340 HP) to make it go up a hill. Once that bath tub is drained that means you need to be able to put the same two cups of water (340 HP) back into the tub. If you're putting in 34 HP and trying to take out 340 HP, no bueno.

Old 10-29-2021, 07:29 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,221,791 times
Quote:
34 HP is 34 HP. There's no magification button that amplifies
Yes there is, gear ratios since it's a generator you don't care much about torque. It's just turning a rotor.

Have you ever thought about an overdrive in a transmission? That actually turns the drive shaft faster than engine RPM

If you didn't have the gear reduction at the axle it would be producing more horsepower at the wheel than the engine produces.

Last edited by Hankrigby; 10-29-2021 at 07:41 PM..

Old 10-30-2021, 05:15 AM

12,417 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Another nice video, of testing the Rivian in some rugged off-roading...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGqexebCcUo

And this one is kind of ridiculous, but if you want to see hardcore rock-crawling, this is it alright, "Hells Gate" Moab, Utah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeth5v_5dPM

Old 10-30-2021, 09:17 AM

2,612 posts, read 928,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
How much energy does it take to charge a battery powered vehicle? On a pre order? No there doesn't need to be mass appeal.
no there is benefit I've listed them and you ignore it. I'm not sure why you are projecting desperation onto me. Electric vehicles have had engines in them for decades.
You seem desperate to have that option to stick a gas engine in an electric car. The big benefit would be to not have to worry about running out of electricity and be incapable of driving. I think there are better alternatives to that solution which make that solution worthless to just about everybody. I drive a lot of miles and dont need to worry about range as long as I remember to plug in my car each night. At the moment, my wife has a gas car and that is what we would use for longer road trips (which we may do once a year). But really we could easily just pop into a supercharger if needed. I dont think many people buying electric cars are trying to figure out how to get a gas engine in there.

Old 10-30-2021, 09:38 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
34 HP is not enough horsepower to power a 7,000 pound truck. It's not even enough to power a 3,000 pound car. With a 15,000 pound combined truck and trailer, you'd need something akin to the power of a typical Chevy/Ford crate V8 or a pair of 1300 cc Hayabusa engines, not a 34 HP rickshaw engine.
Yep, my Volt uses a 1.5L 4 cyl engine that makes 101 hp. In charge sustaining mode most of the time it just hums along at a low rpm at highway speeds, occasionally shutting off, but if I need to pass someone or climb a big hill, it'll rev up and work pretty hard replenishing the battery.

I can't imagine a little 2 cyl scooter engine being adequate. It would never catch up with large power draws without running at max rpm and being extremely noisy.

Old 10-30-2021, 11:24 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Am I missing something re: this generator discussion? It seems predicated on driving while the generator is charging, otherwise, why wouldn't any portable generator charge the vehicle? I have an 8000w generator that weighs maybe 150lbs and has a 220 outlet. Unless I am missing something, why wouldn't that work for a camping trip to recharge at least enough to get to a charger?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive