Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2021, 04:47 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
The whole point of manufacturing vehicles that are alternatives to the gasoline and Diesel is to create a niche market. Very few
people are interested in electric cars but there are certainly more now than 10 years ago. That's why I say offer it as an option. That way the people that are interested in it can get it and that might cause interest to grow in it. That is exactly how tends start
better fuel economy, all of the performance perks of the electric vehicle without the limited range. You don't see these as being advantages why not?

You don't see the benefit of spending $14 to fill up your tank and go 400 mi versus spending $75 to do the same thing?

My light duty truck gets 14 miles to the gallon. If it got 75 that would be better don't you think?
Yes, Hank, it'd be great if a pickup truck went 1000 miles to the gallon and with all the performance perks of all EV and ICE vehicles. Even better if it cost half the price of any other pickup truck. Real good thinking here.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're not an engineer and you have never designed for manufacture before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2021, 04:57 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,219,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's not that they wouldn't. It's that it probably isn't worth the effort of adding one as nobody will want it.
people said the exact same thing about electric cars 15 years ago and they said the exact same thing about hybrid cars 25 years ago.
Quote:
i3 REX was 350 pounds heavier than the i3 EV. It was an EV with a range extender generator. It kind of sucked but since the electric range was so short it was a bad solution. They had lots of issues like adding a 350 pound generator if it ran out of electricity the motorcycle engine generator really wasn't up to the task and it could only crawl up the mountains. They had various hold charge modes and fancy GPS mapping to automatically preserve charge so it didn't happen. Then there was just that it only had a two gallon gas tank which was not very useful in terms of adding range. Basically it just wans't any good but since it only had 70 miles of range at least it let you get another 80 miles.
That isn't a pickup truck.
Quote:
Rivian has 300 miles of range, not 70 miles. There's immediately just much less need for a genarator.
Put an 8k trailer in it and pull it up hill that range will decrease likely by half.

Quote:
Secondly, we now have a charging network that did not exis in 2014 when the i3 came out. You don't need to stop at slow charger for three hours to go another 60 miles anymore. There's a still limted but growing number of fast chargers now where you can pull in and charge to 80% in realistically 45 minutes to an hour and then go another 200 and so miles. It's not as good as stopping every 400 or so miles for 10 minutes to put gas in your tank at much more abundanct gas stations but it's sure a lot better than stopping for three hours to go 60 miles. And back when the i3 came out, that was about as fast as it got.
I'm glad there are more charging stations but if there isn't any available and you need them then how many hours will you be waiting in line? The convenience of electric cars only exist because of their scarceity. I've waited behind four cars for gasoline once. If I had to do that with an electric car that would be two hours.

Quote:
Really the primary advantage to a gasoline generator for a Rivian would be in its ability to tow but for that you'll need a big generator. A 350 pound motorcycle engine with a 2 gallon gas tank won't do the job.
Packaging would be a huge issue. You'd need to squeeze a decent V8 or turbo V6 in there,
Why? Generating electricity is about rpm not horsepower. You could run a small engine with a tall gear ratio to the rotor and generate more electricity. You don't have to have a high torque or high horsepower engine.
Quote:
which the Rivian isn't a particularly large truck. Maybe easiest option would be to put in the bed of the truck along with the fuel cell but that would take up an awful lot of the bed of the truck. End of the day the only people who are really going to buy something that compromised are people that want to regularly tow and they'll probably just go buy a gasoline or diesel powered truck rather than an 7,000 or so pound electric truck with a gasoline generator and fuel cell taking up most of the bed.
Why would you need to take to the bed?

Old 10-29-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, Hank, it'd be great if a pickup truck went 1000 miles to the gallon and with all the performance perks of all EV and ICE vehicles. Even better if it cost half the price of any other pickup truck. Real good thinking here.
You'll never get there if you don't try.

Quote:
I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're not an engineer and you have never designed for manufacture before.
Excuses are like the exit of the human digestive system in two ways.

Old 10-29-2021, 05:34 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
You'll never get there if you don't try.

Excuses are like the exit of the human digestive system in two ways.

Yea, does that pretty definitively answers that you aren't an engineer, having never designed for manufacture, and have no idea what you're talking about? You just love blathering like the exit of the human digestive system you're so fond of. Sounds cool!

Old 10-29-2021, 05:54 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
people said the exact same thing about electric cars 15 years ago and they said the exact same thing about hybrid cars 25 years ago.
That isn't a pickup truck.
Put an 8k trailer in it and pull it up hill that range will decrease likely by half.
Exactly. i3 needed a 350 pound motor cycle engine to barely be add 70 miles of range. Rivian is twice as heavy. Might not scale exactly linearly where it would need 700 pounds of generator to add 70 miles of range but close enough for ball parks. Now through in an 8,000 pound trailer. Easily over 1,000 pounds for a usable generator.

Quote:
I'm glad there are more charging stations but if there isn't any available and you need them then how many hours will you be waiting in line? The convenience of electric cars only exist because of their scarceity. I've waited behind four cars for gasoline once. If I had to do that with an electric car that would be two hours.
Now imagine how long you'd be there if each of those was charging at 20 miles per hour and were putting 250 miles of charge in the tank. Whew, better get a hotel for a few days.

Quote:
Why? Generating electricity is about rpm not horsepower. You could run a small engine with a tall gear ratio to the rotor and generate more electricity. You don't have to have a high torque or high horsepower engine.
Why would you need to take to the bed?
That could also work.
RPE Macroblock 2.7 would give you around the right power numbers. It's two Hayabusa engines shoved together to make a small, high rpm V8. They started at 30,000 and that was a long time ago. GM or Ford crate motor would be far more cost effective.

Old 10-29-2021, 06:12 PM

2,612 posts, read 927,960 times
Quote:
You don't see the benefit of spending $14 to fill up your tank and go 400 mi versus spending $75 to do the same thing?

My light duty truck gets 14 miles to the gallon. If it got 75 that would be better don't you think?
How much extra range do you figure that $14 is going to get you with that battery and generator working? You just arent realistic. I understand you keep saying "i want there to be the option" but options still need mass appeal unless you are talking about a very expensive custom vehicle. There just doesnt seem to be a net benefit here and I am not sure why you are so desperate to put an engine in an electric car. That isnt anybody's goal.

Old 10-29-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
How much extra range do you figure that $14 is going to get you with that battery and generator working? You just arent realistic.
How much energy does it take to charge a battery powered vehicle?
Quote:
I understand you keep saying "i want there to be the option" but options still need mass appeal unless you are talking about a very expensive custom vehicle.
On a pre order? No there doesn't need to be mass appeal.
Quote:
There just doesnt seem to be a net benefit here
no there is benefit I've listed them and you ignore it.
Quote:
and I am not sure why you are so desperate to put an engine in an electric car. That isnt anybody's goal.
I'm not sure why you are projecting desperation onto me. Electric vehicles have had engines in them for decades.

Old 10-29-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Exactly. i3 needed a 350 pound motor cycle engine to barely be add 70 miles of range. Rivian is twice as heavy. Might not scale exactly linearly where it would need 700 pounds of generator to add 70 miles of range but close enough for ball parks. Now through in an 8,000 pound trailer. Easily over 1,000 pounds for a usable generator.
Why would the generator need to be more massive? Explain

Quote:
Now imagine how long you'd be there if each of those was charging at 20 miles per hour and were putting 250 miles of charge in the tank. Whew, better get a hotel for a few days.
Huh?

Quote:
That could also work.
RPE Macroblock 2.7 would give you around the right power numbers. It's two Hayabusa engines shoved together to make a small, high rpm V8. They started at 30,000 and that was a long time ago. GM or Ford crate motor would be far more cost effective.
Why do you need a big engine to produce rpm?

Old 10-29-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You just love blathering !
Ironic

Old 10-29-2021, 06:42 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
How much energy does it take to charge a battery powered vehicle?
Depends on the vehicle.

The small battery pack on the Rivian R1T is 135 kwh. Not sure if that's usable or not but at any rate it's about, to put that in a number most of us understand, 4 gallons of gasoline worth of energy. There's some pumping losses to put the energy in the tank. Call it 4.4 gallons of energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive